Pedi and Manicure Questions

I feel silly for asking, but here goes... How long should a french manicure or pedicure last without chipping? Should i buy spares of both colors for touch-ups, or do they seal it somehow?

I ask because I am thinking of getting both a mani and a pedi for our upcoming cruise. :)

Thank you!

~Rebecca

When I have a pedicure done at a salon the polish seems to last forever - like 3 weeks or more. Whatever they do, it seems to really stick well.

Manicures have not lasted nearly as long - maybe 4 days or so. But then that's when I'm at home and am washing dishes, etc.

Maybe they have sealers they can use? Someone else here will surely have had experience with that ...

The pedicure should last for weeks. The manicures don't hold as well. I have found that applying a top coat (I use OPI) every second day helps to prolong the life of the manicure. But I usually find by the end of the cruise I can't wait to get the polish off my fingers (I *hate* the look of chipped nail polish).

The polish on my pedicures never chips. It would last "forever" except that the nail grows and I then start to have an unpolished space on the nail between the cuticle and the polish. So, in general, three weeks.

About once a week I put another coat of topcoat on so it gives it a "just pedicured" look.

My fingernails, start to chip within about 3-4 days. I use a coat of clear every other day to try and keep it to a minimum. So, a manicure lasts me a week and sometimes I can go 10 days if I'm very careful. I always use a white or pale pink color so that the chips are not very visible. I used to wear red, but had to touch-up the tips every other day and never could go more than a week before getting a fresh mani.

I have found when I vacation at the beach a french manicure for me lasts about 3-4 days. Having my hands in water alot makes it chip much faster. I am planning to take a sealer with me on the cruise.

Thank you all so much! :D

To sum up... A pedicure will last three to four weeks, with touch ups. A manicure, maybe will last a week or a wee bit longer if I stay out of the water, and don't use my hands...lol. ;) I think I'll go with the pedicure and skip the mani. Thanks again for your advice! :)

If you are having tips put on or acrylic nails, the manicure will last longer. With you own nails, 3-4 days. My manicurist told me to apply a top coat every day. Even with that, I would start chipping the third day.

I get acrylic nails with french tips applied before trips/cruises...they last at least two and a half weeks before I need a fill. You can have them as short as is comfortable to you. The only downside is acrylics are hard on your natural nails. Have a great cruise!

When I have a pedicure done at a salon the polish seems to last forever - like 3 weeks or more. Whatever they do, it seems to really stick well.

Manicures have not lasted nearly as long - maybe 4 days or so. But then that's when I'm at home and am washing dishes, etc.

Maybe they have sealers they can use? Someone else here will surely have had experience with that ...

Try not to do any dishes the day you get your manicure, this sometimes helps.

Thank you all so much! :D

To sum up... A pedicure will last three to four weeks, with touch ups. A manicure, maybe will last a week or a wee bit longer if I stay out of the water, and don't use my hands...lol. ;) I think I'll go with the pedicure and skip the mani. Thanks again for your advice! :)

Don't skip it, they're too great to skip. Just get a clear polish or one that's barely there. Even if there is no color to them, it still feels good to have done.

Pedicures will last. Mani's don't really. It's the waters heat and sand. I would also not go too light as sometimes the color fades to a yellowish color with sun/pool/heat. I usually bring those nail polish pads and redo my nails if needed.

I have to toss my two cents in...

Before my last baby was born, I had worn gel tips on and off for 10 years.

Now, every 2-3 weeks I would go for my fill and sometimes depending on how much work I did outside, or in the sink;) , they would be showing their wear. However, if I had not done anything extraordinary, (I wear gloves a lot w/ gardening and dishes) all they were really needing was a fill.

So.....

I guess the question is whether or not you are talking about getting it done on top of your own nails, or tips.I have done both.

Moral of the story...

Tips don't have the natural oils in them like your real nails do, the polish lasts incredibly long because it bonds differently.

Reals nails do have the oils obviously and with day to day contact and friction with ' the outside ' world, will NOT last very long at all.:(

Our toes last longer because they are usually protected better( hose, socks) and do not work like our hand do!! ( think how much we could accomplish if they did.... sorry daydreaming..)

But I agree, don't skip it for a special occasion, it feels to good and looks so nice, even if only for awhile. Take a good top coat like Mega Shine by Sally Hansen and reapply every other day and it will extend the mani.;)

OMG!!! I just hit preview post and I need a stapler for my mouth!!!:eek: :D Sorry ....

Got an e-mail ad from Avon about press on nail color and of course it looks great in the picture.

I ordered it. It's not expensive and they had free shipping and I ordered the lightest color. Figured it wasn't a lot of money to "experiment."!!!

Anyone ever try it?? The ad is claiming that it's new.

Pam

I tried them, and they were fantastic. They lasted just as long as regular nail polish, didn't need to dry, and you could put them on anywhere. I figure I'll bring some with me and do it on the plane on the way. Kill some time during the long flight. There is no way the airline would let you do your nails with liquid polish.

I tried them, and they were fantastic. They lasted just as long as regular nail polish, didn't need to dry, and you could put them on anywhere. I figure I'll bring some with me and do it on the plane on the way. Kill some time during the long flight. There is no way the airline would let you do your nails with liquid polish.

I can't wait to try them!

I've been thinking about them and reading the reviews on Amazon. It seems you either really love them or really hate them! There seems to be issues about the application, especially with the non-dominant hand. I'm looking forward to what you all have to say after you have tried them.

Well, I taught myself how to do french manicures last night. Bought a clearish peach and a bright opaque white. A bit wobbly at first, but fairly easy. Today I bought little guide stickers for the line, so that will make it even faster to apply. I will be getting a professional pedicure before the cruise though, just so my feet are a bit prettier. Oh the vanity! :o *blush* Still pretty sandals, need pretty feet. I'm giving my daughter the french/american pedicure tonight, she wants to have toenails that look like mommy's, only with blue glitter on top... lol. :)

Thank you all for the well wishes and opinions! :D

Oh and ... desperatehousewife... as a mum of two I daydream about extra arms from time to time, why not useful feet! *hehee* :cool: :D

~Rebecca

I don't know about where you are, but here they have a manicure called Solar Nails. It is an acrylic nail, but the tip is white like a French manicure and the base is neutral. The acrylic is then buffed to a high shine. Looks polished, but there is no polish to chip. I personally don't like acrylic nails, so I have my technician buff my natural nails with buffing cream. The shine will last about 2 weeks, if I wear my gloves when doing dishes. I usually take a hand nail buffer to spruce up the shine if it starts to look dull.

Archived