Tipping

I wonder why the search button doesnt work? :D

LOL, I'm thinking of putting together "canned" responses for this and other questions. Then, when someone asks, I can just cut and paste! Simple!

Now, in all fairness to OP....

Tipping is done at the end of the cruise, with the exception being room service. If you order room service, please consider tipping your server.

RCCL does suggest a standard tipping amount. I believe this sum totals about $7.50 per day for all non-suite guests. it is more for suite guests, but I dont know how much more off hand.

The people you will be tipping are your head waiter, waiter, assistant waiter and room steward.

You can tip cash, or purchase vouchers, for the suggested tipping amounts, from guest relations when onboard. Purchasing vouchers will mean that the total tip amount will be added to your sea pass statement.

Evelopes will be provided in your stateroom near the end of the cruise.

You are free to tip more or less, as you see fit.

Happy Sailing!

Do you tip daily or can you wait till the end of your cruise. Also can this be added to your Sea Pass

Yvonne

You have 3 choices.

1. You can pay in advance as part of the total cruise cost. There is button you can check in your reservation that will add it to the total amount.

2. You can add it to your Sea Pass card. This option is given to you during the cruise.

3. You can pay in cash with envelopes provided onboard.

Hope this helps more then the first reply .;)

You have 3 choices.

1. You can pay in advance as part of the total cruise cost. There is button you can check in your reservation that will add it to the total amount.

2. You can add it to your Sea Pass card. This option is given to you during the cruise.

3. You can pay in cash with envelopes provided onboard.

Hope this helps more then the first reply .;)

That's it............except if you think that someone has done an exceptional job, you may want to reward that person with a little something extra.

Rick

LOL, I'm thinking of putting together "canned" responses for this and other questions.

RCCL does suggest a standard tipping amount. I believe this sum totals about $7.50 per day for all non-suite guests. it is more for suite guests, but I dont know how much more off hand.

Canned answers aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as we all remember that there are constantly new folks who find these boards and ask the same questions we all had at one time.

Also if you "can" an answer, you should probably make sure it is correct! The RCCL recommendations total $9.75, and $12.00, per person, per day for non-suite and suite accomodations, respectively. :D

See the Cruise Tip Calculator for more details.

Theron

Canned answers aren't necessarily a bad thing as long as we all remember that there are constantly new folks who find these boards and ask the same questions we all had at one time.

Also if you "can" an answer, you should probably make sure it is correct! The RCCL recommendations total $9.75, and $12.00, per person, per day for non-suite and suite accomodations, respectively. :D

Theron

Hi,

Help! :o

What am I doing wrong with your revised 7 night tip calculator? When I try to use it now it only lists "suite attendant? I type in cabin attendant and it goes right back to suite attendant with the higher amount.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi,

Help! :o

What am I doing wrong with your revised 7 night tip calculator? When I try to use it now it only lists "suite attendant? I type in cabin attendant and it goes right back to suite attendant with the higher amount.

Any help would be appreciated.

Well that is odd... When I test it, it still changes back and forth from "Suite" to "Stateroom" Attendant, as I pick from among the two different Royal Caribbean radio buttons at the top.

If you pick other cruise lines, does it change the different people each time?

Theron

Not so jmsway. :) They are working just as hard since a lot of them also take care of the windjammer at breakfast and lunch. That is why we tip a set amount per day. Plus those still in the main dining room at breakfast and lunch are still doing their job wether you eat in there or not. But no matter where you eat you are being served by someone. Have a great day!

Many people only eat dinner in the dining room, and yes, you tip the full amount. For breakfast and lunch, it's open seating in the dining room (you don't sit at your usual table with your own waitstaff). But, the waitstaff all rotates around, so tipping yours covers everyone in a sense.

Once you see how hard they work, you will realize that the recommended amount is a pittance.

T

Theron

Ummm, that's why I wrote "I believe this sum totals about $7.50 per day for all non-suite guests. " and not "I am positive this totals..."

But thanks for policing me! Where would the world be without board cops to keep everyone in-line!

:D

If you will eat in the Windjammer for breakfast & lunch and only go to the dining room for dinner, do you still tip the full amount? If so, why since they only worked 1/3 as hard

If this logic works for you then act/react accordingly.

I do follow what you are saying and, mathematically, I agree. however, as another poster mentioned, the tip-per-day amount is so small compared to the typical service that you do get that, I feel, should I choose to eat in the windjammer, that should not affect the sum total amount of my tips for the week.

But it is a personal decision so act/react/do whatever feels right to you.

Ummm, that's why I wrote "I believe this sum totals about $7.50 per day for all non-suite guests. " and not "I am positive this totals..."

But thanks for policing me! Where would the world be without board cops to keep everyone in-line!

Well I am certainly no board cop... however, I do tend to correct information that is wrong as I happen to see it. To not do so would be a disservice to future readers of this thread, and reduce the credibility of these messages boards as a whole for being a source of reliable information.

I've been corrected on occasion, and I am greatful to have been. How else do you learn?

It's not about being "in-line", it's about being useful for the purpose that we are all here.

Theron

I find that it helps especially with the room steward to pre-tip. I normally give the room steward a prepaid phone card the first day. If you figure what you are tipping onboard and then think what you would tip for one meal on land the tipping onboard is a good deal. A little extra for all the hard work that the crew does is a small price to pay for a good cruise. A happy waitperson or room steward can make your cruise a great cruise. Most of them are supporting a family with what they make on tips.

Well I am certainly no board cop... however, I do tend to correct information that is wrong as I happen to see it. To not do so would be a disservice to future readers of this thread, and reduce the credibility of these messages boards as a whole for being a source of reliable information.

I've been corrected on occasion, and I am greatful to have been. How else do you learn?

It's not about being "in-line", it's about being useful for the purpose that we are all here.

Theron

It's all in the words you choose.....

I find that it helps especially with the room steward to pre-tip. I normally give the room steward a prepaid phone card the first day. If you figure what you are tipping onboard and then think what you would tip for one meal on land the tipping onboard is a good deal. A little extra for all the hard work that the crew does is a small price to pay for a good cruise. A happy waitperson or room steward can make your cruise a great cruise. Most of them are supporting a family with what they make on tips.

Know what? We just had a deck 10 D1 on mariner and we had a clear view of the deck that employees used to relax and call their friends/family.

Considering that recollection, I think a pre paid phone card is a GREAT idea as a pre tip! We tipped our room steward and extra $10 at the end, but I can see this being given as a pre paid phone card at the beginning.

How much do you usually give ($$) in a pre paid phone card?

It's all in the words you choose.....

IMHO, it's more of a personality difference. I would prefer to be corrected than to have things I've said remain incorrect for everyone to see. But that's just me.. Anywhoo... this is not on topic. Oops, there I go again! :D

Theron

IMHO, it's more of a personality difference. I would prefer to be corrected than to have things I've said remain incorrect for everyone to see. But that's just me.. Anywhoo... this is not on topic. Oops, there I go again! :D

Theron

again, it's all in the words you choose

choose wisely and no one even knows that you are "playing parent" and correcting them

choose differently and people feel attacked

If you will eat in the Windjammer for breakfast & lunch and only go to the dining room for dinner, do you still tip the full amount? If so, why since they only worked 1/3 as hard

Interesting logic. :rolleyes: When you eat in the Windjammer for breakfast and lunch, do you leave a tip there? Do you ever notice that many of those serving you in the Windjammer are the same folks waiting on you in the dining room at dinner time. If they only worked 1/3 as hard, they would still be outperforming most workers and the hours that they work extend from very early in the morning to quite late at night. I suggest that you still tip the full amount and enjoy the cruise without worrying that somehow the dining room servers are underworked or overtipped.

Well that is odd... When I test it, it still changes back and forth from "Suite" to "Stateroom" Attendant, as I pick from among the two different Royal Caribbean radio buttons at the top.

If you pick other cruise lines, does it change the different people each time?

Theron

Can I give you three guesses on what I did??

As many times as I have used that calculator I have never hit the wrong button, until today.:o

Just slap me up the side of the head. :rolleyes:

Can I give you three guesses on what I did??

As many times as I have used that calculator I have never hit the wrong button, until today.:o

Just slap me up the side of the head. :rolleyes:

:) Nah... you were just comparing the tip recommendations among the other cruise lines!!

Theron

You still need to tip the full amount. Even if you do not use the dining room for most meals the waiters and bus boys and everybody that works in the dining room does work constantly each day as they have a schedule of other places to work such as in the Windjammer. Most cruises we have been on we always see our waiter and assistant waiter working in the alternative restaurant, they work practically 16 hours a day not just during the times of breakfast, lunch and dinner. So if you do not dine in the dining room for all meals be sure they are working hard in the alternative or even at the buffets and other places where food is served.

:) Nah... you were just comparing the tip recommendations among the other cruise lines!!

Theron

No, I have to be honest. I was hitting the RCCL suite and not the regular RCCL button. :rolleyes:

I can blame it on a "senior moment." :D

Last time I do that boo boo. :o

Archived