Refrigerators on Conquest

Has anyone ever requested a refrigerator in there room for diabetic needs? We have submitted paperwork through Special Services for a refrigerator for my dad and wanted to know how big it is and has anyone ever had trouble getting one?

Have freinds that were on her last week and they said their inside room had one . I would just ask the room steward to empty it of all the stuff they want you to buy.

Has anyone ever requested a refrigerator in there room for diabetic needs? We have submitted paperwork through Special Services for a refrigerator for my dad and wanted to know how big it is and has anyone ever had trouble getting one?

Forgive my ignorance regarding the diabetic needs (special food, medication?), but there is a refrigerator in all Conquest cabins. I am guessing it's approximately 1 cubic foot inside and has storage space on the inside of the door also. Your room steward will unlock it, once the ship has left port (something to do with Texas laws regarding alcohol). You can ask the steward to empty the refrigerator (it comes stocked with soft drinks, mixers, beer and liquor) so you can use it for your own items.

Are they really "refrigerators" or are they really a "cooler" that looks like a refrigerator? On the Rhapsody they say "refrigerator", but are really a cooler. They don't get cold. Had the Maintainence Department come look at it because we thought it was broken, they then informed us they really are coolers, not actual refrigerators. I thought I had read on here it was the same situation on the Conquest. I would be thrilled it was really was an actual refrigerator because of our upcoming cruise next January. Wouldn't be have to be keeping the cooler we bring on board full of ice all the time! :)

On the Conquest the refridgerator is a real refridgerator. It is full of items just liker a hotel minibar. Obviously there is plenty of room for a vial of insulin but if you want to store other things just ask your steward to remove the mini-bar items so you wont be charged.

I'm surprised to hear that there are refrigerators on the Conquest. When we booked our cruise through our Carnival TA, she told us to go through Special Services and request a refrigerator in our room for my dad's insullin. You would think that they would know that they already have something like that in a room. Maybe they are not in all rooms. We are booked 4A Guarantee.

Refrigerators are nopt all that cold. We take a small cooler--one that holds 12 cans..and have the cabin stewart keep full of ice.

Just curious--- but when a steward empties the refrigerator where does he put that stuff???

We were in an inside room on Panorama deck and we had a minibar/refrigerator that was a real refrigerator. Shouldn't be a problem. Once you get your cabin assignment, though, I would call to make sure it has one just in case. Better safe than sorry.

Guest dirtdiva

We were on the Conquest in May and the refrigerator was not cold and was not even all that cool. The steward looked at me like I was nuts when I asked him to unlock the refrigerator and clear it out so we could put our water in it (like we were the first ones to ever make that request). He finally unlocked it and told us that he didn't have anywhere to put the items that were in the refrigerator and asked us what he was supposed to do with the items that he removed. We suggested that he use one of the many spacious cabinets and that way he could still take inventory of the items. We put a few bottles of water in it and the water was a little cooler than room temperature 24 hours later. We decided it was just as easy to drink room temperature water and add ice if necessary and had the steward put everything back and lock it back up. I'm with Serene; I don't think the refrigerators would be cold enough to keep the insulin.

As a side note, the water in the dining room tasted great, but we drink A LOT of water and ordered Aqua Fina water through Well Wishers to make sure we had RO water. Well Wishers did great and only charged approximately 20 cents more per bottle than a grocery store; still much cheaper than buying bottled water on the ship. We could have ordered water from room service, but didn't want to take a chance on not having good water. We did not fill up our bottles on the Lido deck for sanitary reasons. I saw one lady use one of the water stations to rinse off her hands!

We remedied the problem about the not-so-cold refrig. on our cruise. We just put our bucket of ice IN the empty refrig. (plenty room); and it kept what few items we had that needed chilling quite cold.....no biggy.

DH and I also travel with refrigerated medication. Carnival has you go through Special Services because they have someone come to your cabin and ask if they can help you with anything, and provide you with a sharps container. They will also dispose of properly for you. I think they just want staff to know where their medicals are staying, so they have you specially register. We were on Spirit last (Conquest upcoming this year) and the 'fridge did the job, but as others have noticed, they will provide ice daily and that can be used to cool meds if the fridge isn't sufficient. You can also bring "a small amount" of canned beverages aboard -- we brought a 6 of our favorite diet sodas (they also helped keep the meds cold in transit and until we could get the steward to open the minibar...

We were on the Conquest in March this year on deck 10 and our refridgerator was plenty cold, your room Steward will remove the items from the mini bar make sure they take inventory before they clear it, so that you are not charged for the items. Then just put the stuff in one of the drawers in the room, that way you know that nothing was used. They had you go through special service so that you will be given medical disposible containers. Have a great trip and tell your dad that they have sugar free desserts on the chocolate buffett.

Cindy

Thanks everyone for all your input. Been a real help. Guess we had to register with Special Services to get a medical waste disposal unit. Didn't think of that. Going to try and keep dad away from all the sweet desserts, mainly the ice-cream machine.

It should be cold enough for insulin. We found that it just didn't get cold enough for us - even had them look at it - no improvement. When we went on the Conquest the second time we didn't even ask to have it opened - we took a cooler. I like my drinks really cold.

Archived