An observation about Holiday Cruises - see if you agree with me

Holiday Cruises - What's Your Opinion  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Holiday Cruises - What's Your Opinion

• No - I don't book them, too expensive & too many kids
    • No - Can't book them, family or other obligations
    • No - I like to cruise other times of the year
    • No - I'll do a back to back if I want both holidays
    • Yes - I would love to see more holiday cruises with both Christmas and New Years
    • Other

I've been responding to the threads regarding where would you like to cruise if you had the choice...

Anyhow, during one of my responses, I wrote something that I would like more opinions on...specifically holiday cruises. I happen to be a teacher and, I look forward to escaping on vacation during the holidays. Am I alone when I say that I would LOVE to see a cruise during the holidays that included BOTH Christmas and New Year's in the same sailing. Why are they so few and far between? We're looking at Explorer for Christmas/New Year's in 2007 but, I know that's going to mean missing a couple of days of work because the ship doesn't return until January 4th.

Do I stand alone in this plea to the cruise lines to give us more options during the holidays? Please vote and post your thoughts here!

I would have to agree that I would like to see more Holiday Cruises that include BOTH Christmas and New Year's in the sailing dates. All too often we've ended up booking back to backs to get what we want. We're looking at Explorer for December 23, 2007 too - it's one of the few offering this type of itinerary and now that we're back on the East coast, it's perfect for us, no flying!

Yep, I hear ya loud and clear! We booked back to back cruises this year to get what we wanted, and, ALREADY booked and deposited on Explorer for the 12/23/07 sailing. As already pointed out, it's hard trying to find a holiday cruise that includes both Christmas and New Years. I'm glad we're not the only ones that feel this way!

Nick

I guess I voted for the "too expensive and too many kids" for those EXACT reasons. I booked a 7-day Thanksgiving last year. For the same price, we could have gone on at least two 5-day cruises with air. The other reason is that there were over 1400 kids on the ship that week. They had to modify activities (like disco hours) to be "family friendly". Which is fine, just not what I want. So, I won't be sailing another holiday.

Interesting poll and even more interesting answers! I never gave it much thought but, the OP is correct, if you look at the holiday sailing schedules for all the lines, not just Royal Caribbean most force you into an "either/or" situation. Very few cruises offer both and, since most schools are out from December 24th through January 1st, I think it's perfectly fair and reasonable to ask the cruise companies to offer a few more cruises during this period that encompass both holidays. Bravo Bride and Groom! EXCELLENT point/suggestion about this topic!

Last year we sailed on the Radiance for Christmas, Hannukah and New Years. It was a total BLAST. I really wish that RCCL would book more cruises which cover both Christmas and New Years.

RCCL.... Do you hear us??

Oh, and by the way, please bring Gordon back!!

I think it's amazing that so many people don't want the holiday sailings. I LOVE them! What better way to spend time with your family? Haven't missed one yet. We'll be on Crown Princess this year. I'll be sure to check out the Explorer one everyone keeps mentioning on here for 2007.

What a lovely thought! I've never even considered cruising during the holidays until recently and, I certainly would favor any cruise that covered both Christmas and New Year's over one for the other. While these cruises are very expensive, I am finding out that it's been a well received idea in my family - we're opting to cruise rather than give presents. And, everyone loves the idea of not having the usual holiday hassles. My neices and nephews are thrilled at the idea of returning to school with tans! Excellent topic!

I'm with the majority that thinks it's a great suggestion and I hope the cruise lines take us seriously! I don't know about anyone elses family but, we've always been the type that we try to "balance" out the holidays. If we spend Christmas with your family, then next year with mine... When the cruise lines FINALLY decided to sail out of Texas year round, cruising immediately solved this problem! No more fights, no more regrets, no more Christmas shopping - just fun in the sun for us!

We've never regreted sailing during the holidays and, it's a tradition we plan to keep up for many years to come. If you haven't tried it, I suggest it! And, I agree that I would LOVE to see more sailings that include both Christmas and New Year's!

I'm a relative newbie to the board and to cruising but, I'm not sure why "too many kids" is the reason people don't want to sail during the holidays.

I've been on two cruises and both times the ships were full of kids but, outside of the pool area, I can't really say I saw much of them. And, how about expense? Is it THAT much more expensive? I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, I'm asking sincerely. I'd like to know, it sounds great in theory but, if I'm looking at triple the cost, then I'd have to pass on the idea.

If they bring the prices down and do a adult only cruise sure I will go, doubt that will happen so I guess the answer is no way. Too much $$ and too many kids!!

I've been tempted to do a holiday cruise but after hearing from friends who did....WAY too many kids!!!!

I'm a relative newbie to the board and to cruising but, I'm not sure why "too many kids" is the reason people don't want to sail during the holidays.

I've been on two cruises and both times the ships were full of kids but, outside of the pool area, I can't really say I saw much of them. And, how about expense? Is it THAT much more expensive? I'm not trying to be a wise-guy, I'm asking sincerely. I'd like to know, it sounds great in theory but, if I'm looking at triple the cost, then I'd have to pass on the idea.

The trick with holiday cruises, as I learned the hard way, is booking early. We're already booked for the holidays in 2007 on Explorer by booking early we were able to get great prices for a longer cruise than we're paying this year for a 7 day cruise on Serenade.

As far as the kids thing...I'm with you, outside of the pool area, I don't see them and they don't bother me. In fact, I find some of the adults ruder and louder than many of the children. :rolleyes:

Nick

We've been on the fence about this for a couple of years. For those of you who have sailed, do you feel like it's worth the extra money? Does it still seem like Christmas on the ships? Do you invite your family and extended family to join you? Tell me more please!

We've been on the fence about this for a couple of years. For those of you who have sailed, do you feel like it's worth the extra money? Does it still seem like Christmas on the ships? Do you invite your family and extended family to join you? Tell me more please!

We went several years ago, it started with the immediate family and just grew and grew and grew. By the time our sailing date rolled around, we had over 60 family and extended family members cruising with us. It was the single most memorable cruise in my lifetime. We were surrounded by the ones we love and like one or two of you mentioned, we didn't bother with presents and took the trip instead. It was the BEST INVESTMENT WE EVER MADE! It was my Mother-In-Law's last Christmas and, we all look back on it fondly knowing she spent it with her entire family around her.

I can buy sweaters, home appliances, and other items anytime AFTER Christmas and at GREAT PRICES.

As far as feeling like Christmas, you better believe it! The ship was decorated with gingerbread houses, Christmas trees and garland. There was Christmas Caroling with the crew, both Catholic Mass and a non-denominational service for those of the Protestant faiths, and, Santa even stopped onboard and the children were invited to visit and receive a present.

We've been trying to get everyone together to do it again! We're aiming for 2007 as well.

Joe check this out: http://www.explorer2007.makeswebsites.com/3/gallery.htm

scroll down to the photos that say Christmas Around The Ship. Then you should give the whole site a glance - good deal happening here ;)

Eddie

My husband and I both love crusing for New Year's. We prefer to be home for Christmas, but for the last 3 years we'v cruised for New Year's. We're from Chicago, so not only is the weather a big plus, but the atmosphere is great. Everybody is there to party and celebrate. What better way to spend New Year's Eve, then starting out in the main lobby area with music and free champagne and then continuing to celebrate on the pool deck with the calypso band playing and the wind blowing in your hair....

Our first New Year's cruise was on the Grandeur out of New Orleans. That's what started our annual event. The next year we were on the Vision of the Seas out of Los Angeles. Not my favorite ports of call, but we still had a great time. Last year was the best of all. We were on the Navigator. What a fantastic ship!!! We enjoyed it so much, that we've already booked for the same cruise this year. In fact, we have 3 other couples going with us. They heard us raving about how wonderful it was, that they decided to see for themselves.

If you can't get your family to go with you, then home is where you should be for Christmas, but New Year's is a definite good time on a ship - with or without family!

Marilyn

We sailed last year from December 25th through January 1st. It was our first holiday cruise, and it certainly will NOT be our last! I, too, am a teacher, and my husband's office closes down between X-mas and New Years, so we have the time off. Last year, we sailed with DD and her new hubby (we'd planned the cruise months before they got engaged, but it turned into their honeymoon cruise - they got married the weekend before we sailed), DS, SIL and SIL's BF. This year, it will probably be just DH and me (unless we can convince DS to bring a buddy and come with us). Because there were so many families, the parents seemed to really keep an eye on the kids, and we didn't notice any problems at all with the number of children onboard. It was delightful. The cost IS a bit more than other weeks, but if you book at the right time and keep an eye on the RCCL web site (they WILL rebate the difference if your cabin price drops), it's not too bad. Sailing from a port that you can drive to will really help. Last year, we flew to San Juan for our cruise, and the airfare was just about the same as the cruise fare. This year, we'll drive to Florida and save the airfare. :)

what everybody doesn't realize is how can the cruise lines change the days for the cruises just for this week to include both. Most 7 day cruises leave on saturday or sunday. What are the cruise lines suppose to do if christmas doesn't fall on saturday or sunday change the schedule for a whole month just to accomadate getting a cruise to include christmas and new years. I don't think they are going to change that many itinerieries to accomadate that.

That being said some day I would like to do it.

Flips

Hi everyone,

Brand new here but, wanted to add my experiences. I'm a bit of an old salt, my wife and I have been sailing since "The Love Boat" days in the 1970s. We have been truly blessed with the ability to cruise twice per year for the past 30 years and one of those cruises is ALWAYS a holiday cruise.

For the ones who aren't sure or who complain it's too much money, you really don't know what you're missing. We now sail with our grown children, their in-laws and, of course, the grandchildren.

Each member of the family books the cabin they can afford and, since we know we're doing this year after year, we simply put our Christmas Club account towards our cruises. And, it's always worked out splendidly for us.

Why would I want to see my wife and daughters cooking, cleaning and slaving to make a memorable holiday for us, when they should be enjoying it! We buy each grandchild one gift which they receive before we leave and then "magically" Santa leaves a gift card for Toys R Us for them in the cabin on Christmas Day. No one misses out and, it's just the best experience you could ever imagine!

I'm so sorry we already booked for 2007, I had no idea about Explorer leaving from New Jersey for Christmas in 2007. Perhaps we'll change and save the airfare! Thanks for sharing that link, very informative indeed!

Hey Willie!

Welcome to the boards! There is plenty of room on 12/23/07 on Explorer, as long as you looking for suites! It is a GREAT deal, I'm heading up the whole thing so if you have any questions email me at nicknatalejr@gmail.com and, I can get you in touch with TA handling the arrangements.

Nick

It really *Does* feel like Christmas onboard the ship.

Here is a photo with some of my extended family from Christmas 2005 onboard Brilliance OTS

Jane

999666310_AnotherSantaPhotoOpteeny.jpg.fc372aa415f62d1a3de036ad206403fa.jpg

Archived