Sign and Sail and Teens

I have a few questions::confused:

Do teens get their own sign and sail cards?

If so, will the teens S&S account be linked to the parents account?

Can you separate the accounts by using a cash deposit for the teens and credit card for the parents card?

Is $200 a good amount for a teen on a 7 day cruise?

Luvsdaislands

Yes, the teens will get their own sign and sail card. At check in I have it set up so they can't charge anything. I buy soda cards for each one and give them cash to spend in the arcade. Other than that they have to find me to buy anything else.

I have taken darling grandson every year since he was 8. He is 15 this year. I set him up with a shipboard credit of 100.00 paid in cash after embarkation. I also buy him a soda card. When his sign and sail card is maxed out, he is on his own.

He does take his own money too and on his last cruise in January he added another 40.00 to his card using his own cash.

Most of his money goes to the arcade and the gift shop! Go figure!

:p

You have the decision to give them spending power or not........My kids are 14 and 12 and I let them each spend $150 for the 7 days on the Conquest. It is on the honor system though and if they went over I would have cancelled it. I was told at check in that I couldn't have the cruise line set a spending amount, but that I could cancel there use anytime during the week if I wanted.

Good information---But other than the arcade and gift shop there really isnt anything else for them to buy on the ship right???I've got a 7 yr old girl and a boy 16 yrs--My daughter will be with me so Im not concerned about her S & S card but I plan on giving my 16 yr old pretty liberal roaming on the ship so do you think I should set a limit on his S&S card? He is a very responsible kid as far as spending but could become careless with his card (ie. losing it, misplacing etc)...Can anyone use his card if he does lose it?

I've always let DS -- now 17 -- have an "active" S&S card. He is a good responsible kid and it was a learning process for him. He had to be sure he had it (because it is his room key as well!) and didn't abuse the privilege. He never has -- hope he never will!

Like others have said, you can set up their accounts any way you want. Put down cash so they have a limit, link it to your credit card and let them charge or have charging privileges turned off. We allowed our teens to have charging privileges and boy were we shocked by their final bill. They had each spent less than $10.00. :eek: :confused: We talked to them about their spending ahead of time but I expected them to spend more than that. We bought them soda cards tho so that had something to do with it but I know they both like smoothie type drinks so I thought there would be a few of those on there. Guess I shouldn't complain.:)

Heidi--sounds like you've got some pretty responsible kids--Not many would go crusing and only spend 10.00---WOW--Mine too is responsible and very cautious with money so Im not too worried about him overspending---Just possibly losing it...If he does lose it would someone be able to go crazy with it??or do you have to show ID when you purchase something...This is my first cruise so still a little unsure of all the specifics...Thanks for the help...

We have taken our teenagers on two cuises and have given them active sign and sail accounts both times. We bought them each a soda card and an allowance of $10 per day. they knew in advance any overages would be their responsibility when we arrived home. We checked their accounts daily on the tv to make sure the charges did not get out of hand. It worked great. They each charged less than $20 over their limit, and paid us the overage before we left the ship. Great experience in budgeting and responsiblity

I can't imagine what a teen would spend $200.00 on during a 7 day cruise. Our card for two adults (not including tips) was under $200.00 and that included $50.00 worth of photos, plus of course alcoholic beverages. Everything is included except for sodas, smoothies, and small stuff like that. If they drink a lot of soda I would buy them the soda card. Even if you are including their $70.00 tip, $130.00 should be more than enough. My oldest teen does not drink soda, so I won't buy her a card. I figure she may buy a smoothie or two, or a small item from the gift shop. I think she would be more likely to want the extra cash in port! Of course everyone is different, some teens may like to spend money in the arcade, and everyone has different income levels and amounts of disposable income to begin with. I plan on allowing each of them $50.00 for the five day cruise (I may give my older daughter a little more since I won't be buying her a soda card but will for my younger daughter). They can spend it all at once or over the five days. They will be bringing their own money for purchasing things in port, of course we will pay for any shore excursions or meals in port. Depending on the ship, you can check your accounts daily and keep an eye on what they are spending their money on.

Heidi--sounds like you've got some pretty responsible kids--Not many would go crusing and only spend 10.00---WOW--Mine too is responsible and very cautious with money so Im not too worried about him overspending---Just possibly losing it...If he does lose it would someone be able to go crazy with it??or do you have to show ID when you purchase something...This is my first cruise so still a little unsure of all the specifics...Thanks for the help...

Your sail & sign card is all that is required for a purchase on board, no other ID. So, yes, someone else could technically use a lost card. However, if you report the loss right away, Carnival will cancel it so you are not stuck with unauthorized charges. I assume they would issue your son another card since it is also his room key, but I'm not sure.

By the way, make sure that you do not use your sail & sign card to activate the safe in your cabin. Sometimes it will mess up your card and then it won't work as a room key! I use an old giftcard (macy's, starbucks, etc) it works great and you don't have to worry about losing use of your major credit cards!

Have agreat trip! You and your kids will have so much fun!!!!

I thought about the soda card but we as a family came to the conclusion that it would a waste because they are not going to drink $38 worth of soda in 7 days. I could get one and let them both use it but most likely they will not be together...one loves video games and the other just likes to "hang out" with friends. I plan on bringing a case of water and case of soda onboard with us, that's only $10 compared to $76.

I dare not use my credit card, I know my children and if they knew it was linked to my credit card they will FIND stuff to purchase, LOL! Most the of the money will be spent playing video games and frozen fruity "virgin" drinks, they love those because I make them all the time at home. My youngest will purchase some type of carnival "logo" items...cups, hats, t-shirts, etc.

They will be in the teen club so I know they will want to be like the grown ups and walk around with a drink in hand like they see on TV. I know there are other things like Bingo that you have to pay for, jewlery, etc. I think $200 is a good amount for each of them and if they choose to spend that in the first day...oh well they will be out of luck and they will just have to watch mommy spend money!!

You have the decision to give them spending power or not........My kids are 14 and 12 and I let them each spend $150 for the 7 days on the Conquest. It is on the honor system though and if they went over I would have cancelled it. I was told at check in that I couldn't have the cruise line set a spending amount, but that I could cancel there use anytime during the week if I wanted.

Well look at you, booked another cruise on ROS. :D

Oh look, I think I see a cruise in my near future........:eek: ;)

Archived