Curfews and after Dinner Activities

BrodyBarb

I'm new to cruising and will be cruisin' with my 10 and 14 year old sons.

They're pretty well behaved but I was wondering what other parents did with their kids after dinner if they weren't at the kids programs.

Also, what kind of curfew do you have for your kids?

How much freedom do they have to wander around day or night? (esp. after reading the elevator horror stories on another thread!)

I'm pretty strict when it comes to what my kids watch and I'm not sure whether some of the shows would be suitable for them?? (never seen them)

I don't want to spoil their cruise but I don't want to give them too much freedom. My husband won't be going so I'm a bit worried about how it will turn out. I would like to lay down the ground rules before we leave but because it will be a new environment I'm not sure how far to go with the rules.

Advice and experiences would be greatly appreciated!

BrodyBarb...... Your children will be old enough to wander around on their own...not a problem. I'm not sure how the children's program works on Carnival..... but on Celebrity, at age 10.....my daughter signs herself in and out of the program herself.

I would allow them freedom....and have them check in with you periodically.

About the content of the shows: I have only been on one Carnival cruise (without my children)....two years ago....Celebration....and I thought the evening show was very inappropriate. Very sexual....and I would have walked out immediately if my children were there. One of the props was a Bed!..... The show even made several of us adults feel uncomfortable.

Just set the limits with the kids.....and let them show you how responsible they are...or aren't!

Have fun!

Your children will be in separate age groups for the kid's programs, so that might have an effect on what you do. Personally, I feel that a 10 year old needs more supervision than the teenager and probably would have an earlier curfew. Every parent does things differently and only you know how much you can trust your children. Play it by ear and see how they do.

You might check to see if your ship has an arcade. Last time we went, our kids practically lived there. Sometimes after dinner we would go do one of the ships planned activities. The scavenger hunts and trivia contests were particularly fun. There was also a lounge there that allowed families with children. It always had live music and dancing. One night was a 50's night with great 50's music. Another night was a tribute to Elvis and the guy sounded just like him. We went there every night and danced or relaxed to the music as a family. If I were you, I would do my homework. Go to Carnival and see what amenities are offered on your particular ship. If there is an arcade, you might limit their time there each day. You might even find a nice family friendly lounge like we did. You could make a stipulation that a certain amount of family time should be spent together each day either in the lounge or doing an activity. They will most likely want to spend quite a bit of time around the pool, too. That's a good place to spend quality family time together. When you first get on the ship, I would go to the purser's desk and inquire about the shows. They will be able to tell you which ones are okay for families and which ones are not. Another thing that helped us was 2 way radios. They rent them on board the ship but we brought our own. It was a good way of keeping up with my kids and family members. I had more peace of mind just knowing where they were. I hope this helps.

I think the curfew is an interesting question. I know some parents think that a cruise ship is so "safe" that they don't even give their kids cufews. I think that is awful, and lazy.. I believe that a 10 year old does not need to see or be exsposed to the DRUNKS that wander around the ship after say about 10:30 or 11. And I don't think that putting "temptation" in their path is fair either., Your kids will meet other kids and some of those other kids will be smoking, drinking etc, if it is late and your kids are just " hanging out" you are asking them to be very self dicsplined. Do them a favour and go with your instincts and give them crufuews, age appropriate. TYour 14 yr old should probaly get a little more leeway than his younger brother, they are 4 years apart, and no don't force the older to always babysit the younger, that's not fair!( I was an older!)

As for the shows, some are great for families( kids) and some are not , find out in advance, warning , most comedians are racy. The Broadway style shows are usaully a safe bet., but read the patter carefully or ask the purser!

The broadway shows are good. Stay away from the comedians. also the love and marriage show is not for the kids. But the game shows/trivia contests will be good for them. (the cruise paper will tell you if its adult only)

Carnival does not have a curfew. Royal does. Its 1am. depends on how mnay kids are onboard to if its enforced or not. But there really isnt much happening for kids at 1am so they should be in their cabins anyways.

Do you have late or early seating?

Thanks everyone for your advise - I think I pretty much will have to play it by ear. I'll have to have check in times during the day. Curfews of 'stay with me' or in your cabin by ?? and ?? at night I think.

I don't know what time my dining time is - when do they give you the option?

I haven't got my documents yet - I'm all paid up though. Just waiting for our passports to come now.

I would like the early seating for various reasons... midnight buffet, more time to do stuff after...

When you booked your cruise your agent shoul dhave asked you what is your preference for dining. You then tell them early. Thats your choice. early or late. Also, should have given a choice of table size. 4, 6 or 8. Give them a call and ask what they put you down for. It is only a request and you wqont find ot until you get onboard. It willbe located on your sign and sail card. If it is not what you like head to the Matre de and ask for a change.

I don't have an answer for you (no kids), but I just wanted to THANK YOU for posting the question in the first place. So many parents just let their children wander freely; it is heartening to hear that you are concerned about it.

Have a fabulous time!!

T

I too appreciate you posting this. We sail next week so my husband and I sat down with our kids the other night and discussed curfews and expectations. This thread reminded me that I should do this prior to the cruise, not once there is a problem.

Elise

When you booked your cruise your agent should have asked you what is your preference for dining. You then tell them early. Thats your choice. early or late. Also, should have given a choice of table size. 4, 6 or 8. Give them a call and ask what they put you down for. It is only a request and you wqont find ot until you get onboard. It willbe located on your sign and sail card. If it is not what you like head to the Matre de and ask for a change.

I'm gonna have to call them then, but I was just thinking - I haven't filled out the boarding pass form (or online) yet even though I'm paid up, because I'm still waiting for my passport (and the boys passports). Maybe you're supposed to sort out your seating after you've done that???

When we have cruised previously with all sorts of ages among the kids, we set curfews according to what they were doing on that particular evening. For example, if a movie or contest was being shown in the "Kids Club" and it ended at 10:00, then that was the curfew. If the children in the Kid's Club were going to see the nightly show--first showing--then we would have the curfew be after the end of the revue (that was usually around 9:45). Sometimes the would have popcorn, etc in the Kid's Club after the show, and that might have tings wind up a bit later.

As the others have mentioned, there is a big difference in ages of the 2 boys. The teen boy will probably be interested in meeting other teen boys and girls, whereas the 10 year-old won't be allowed into the teen program!

We have always been pretty strict about curfews, and even when our daughter (almost 12) isn't tired, we make her come back to the cabin anyway, no later than 10:30. She is allowed to read in her bunk or do whatever until 11:00 or so....no later. We have noticed that the later it is, the more trouble children are prone to getting into. Also, we like to get up early in the a.m. to enjoy the ship and the ports--and late nights are not part of that equation.

Good luck.

Thanks for this Kim,

If my 10 year old is a part of a structured activity like you mentioned it really would be ok with me. I'd go pick him up after - no problem.

This is something else to put to them when we have our pre-cruise talk about do's and don't's.

What I don't want I guess, is aimless wandering around with nothing in particular to do.

I think my 14 year old will be the most challenging for obvious reasons....

Setting a time limit for your children is up to you as they are your children.

I don't think walking around the ship at night they will see such bad things and people may be drunk anywhere at anytime not just at night on cruises.

Keep tabs on them, set meeting times, leave messages on the room phones, set a time that they have to be back in the room,and take them to the ice show and others. My younger son is much more mature and responsible then my older son so it just depends on your children. Have fun and enjoy- that's what memories are made of.

Kari, where on earth does you see drunks that you would let your child wander around???? I don't let my 11 yr old wander around downtown in the evening, so how is a cruise ship filled with bars and lounges different.

I think that the above poster made the most sense when she would base the curfew on what the kids were actually doing, and took the ages into consderation.

I still maintain that letting a 10 yr old wander the ship late at night( after say 10:30-11) is silly. I mean what on earth would they do, older teens do deserve a little more leeway, but as another poster said, why would anyone want tired cranky kids the next day, especially a port day, I don't think I would pay thousands of dollars to take my kids on a cruise to have them sleep the whole next day and miss a port!!!! Or be so tired that they are miserable !

It is amazing how little common sense some people have when it comes to putting down rules for their kids, it is nice to see some of the posters on this board are obviously loving and concerned parents, who care enough to make some tough decsions regarding following rules, curfews, and customs.

Here's a possible rule of thumb: if you would allow your child to roam freely in a strange city of the same population as the cruise ship, allow them to move about freely on the ship. If the age/maturity of your child suggests to you that you would not do so, then don't let them ramble and roam onboard. I think it's just good to treat the ship as if it were a city, not a fantasy land where nothing bad can ever happen.

My friends went on a Spring Break cruise on Carnival in April with their 11 and 14 yr olds....their 1st cruise. They had a good time at the ports because they were doing things together as a family...but the ship was a different story. Their kids fit into 2 different age groups..the 11 yr old boy wasn't old enough to do the teen stuff but too old for the kids program..or didn't want to participate by himself. The 14 yr girl old met some other girls but they were allowed to roam the ship completely on their own AND the ports..with NO adult supervision. My friend didn't feel good about letting her daughter hang out with kids whose the parents she didn't know ...as she said ,you never know what these kids are into at home.......which ended up being a VERY good decision...At one of the ports these same 13 and 14 year old girls were doing Tequila shots in a bar near the ship!!

Most of the time that my friend was on the ship, her kids whined and fussed at her (as kids will do) because they didn't have anything to do...I think it rained one day so they sat in their room and watched movies...and my friend was upset they had paid so much for a miserable time....don't think they will ever cruise with kids again! What a shame!

The moral of the story is....Have real expectations............Be prepared for the difference in age group activities; use caution when deciding how "safe" the ship environment is; and use common sense when deciding who your kids can hang out with.

Hope this gives some insight into your situation.

Archived