A Question About Cabin Food Service On Queen Mary 2 And Gratuity Policy

Terrence Richards

I have sailed with Cunard eleven times. The last two were on the Queen Mary 2. The last one was in December 2005.

My wife and I ordered breakfast in our cabin by making the selection on the breakfast card menu that is placed on the bed each night and then hooked it onto the outside door handle of the cabin.

On the third morning of our in cabin breakfast service, there was a form on the tray that needed to be signed and with a line to add a gratuity. When the cabin server arrived to take the tray back, I questioned him about this. I asked if this was a new policy even though our gratuities that we pay on our account at the end of the cruise includes in cabin service. His answer was not to clear. He said it was a way to account for the fact that we did get service that morning and the gratuity was up to us.

I then went to the Pursar's Desk and inquired. The woman there was not sure of what I was asking her and had to check with someone else. Her answer was also confusing, but said it was up to me if I wanted to give an additional gratuity.

I got the feeling that this was not a Cunard thing but some carry over from Princess.

Is there anyone else who has encounted this in cabin service additional request for a gratuity?

If so, were you given an explanation by any staff member about it.

In the "Voyage Information" booklet I just received for the Queen Mary 2 October 12 cruise, it is very clearly written that gratuities are shared by many of the staff who we encounter during our cruise. The only extras are a 15% add on for bar tabs and drinks in the dinning rooms.

Thanks for your response.

Terrence

Not a princess thing/ Princess says specifically(or implied anyway) that the daily amount includes room service but most people me included give extra for room service. There is a longish closed thread on tipping on the princess board that I will try to find for you...I personally give a couple of bucks for room service- it won't break me but you can do what you want...more for a full meal.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=368780

I've always tipped whoever has brought my room service orders separately, unless they were delivered by my butler.

Even if it is just a pot of coffee.

Hi there we agree again. You know I always tip when the Queen invites us for a weekend in the country...I sometime over tip her help...

In the "Voyage Information" booklet I just received for the Queen Mary 2 October 12 cruise, it is very clearly written that gratuities are shared by many of the staff who we encounter during our cruise. The only extras are a 15% add on for bar tabs and drinks in the dinning rooms.

Thanks for your response.

Terrence

In fact if you look at your bar chit you will see there is a space for additional tips to be added there as well.

David.

Hi Terry:

I asked him if we were supposed to add a tip the first morning that our breakfast was delivered to our room. He said, "No, no, it's included in your charges!" (I wish I would have asked and been told this in Italy. No wonder our waiters' eyes lit up as we included tips!) I think that someone stated somewhere on this board that if we leave $$ in our room after our departure, the maid can't keep it for just herself, so the room service men receive part of it.

We had breakfast in our cabin (P2) every morning on our recent westbound crossing in April.

We did not tip the waiter as gratuties were added to our account.

(We did however give our dining team in the Princess Grill an extra amount as they were outstanding.)

I understood that the daily gratutity added to your account was to cover just this sort of instance.

I've always tipped whoever has brought my room service orders separately, unless they were delivered by my butler.

We would very rarely tip extra - only if a member of staff did something out of the ordinary, something you would not expect to be included in the rate. Unless a cruise line bans tipping then what you tip is going to be a personal choice - Cunard include an amount and that should be enough.

I agree - its only a $1 or 2....except for the early morning tea....probably not sufficiently organised.......

Peter

If we are in a cabin that does not have butler service I always tip the person bringing the room service a couple of bucks.

When we have had butler service I did not tip and then gave him a tip at the end of the cruise.

I would think that it all depends on if your cabin attendent brings the food or not. Sometimes we have had our cabin attendent bring the things that we have ordered. I do not tip at that time. However, if there is someone new I do.

I just tipped a dollar or two evey time. Occasionally they would have that form to sign and I did notice that there was a place for a tip to be added.

I must say that I did think the service was very good as well as the food.

Love those club sandwiches! I wish I'd saved more of those little jars of marmalade and preserves. In the last week we finished all of those and the last saved pillow mint.

Yes, I saved the Orange Chocolate for last.

On the QE2 this past January I had breakfast a number of times in my cabin. There was never any sheet or chit for me to sign. Each time it was brought to me by my cabin steward/butler and I tipped him (with that service in mind) at the end of the crossing.

I just tipped a dollar or two evey time. Occasionally they would have that form to sign and I did notice that there was a place for a tip to be added.

I must say that I did think the service was very good as well as the food.

Love those club sandwiches! I wish I'd saved more of those little jars of marmalade and preserves. In the last week we finished all of those and the last saved pillow mint.

Yes, I saved the Orange Chocolate for last.

--- sorry -- OT post..

Chris - it appears that our paths ALMOST crossed (we were on the 7/1/06 Glory sailing). How was this Glory trip for you? Do they still have the FILL-IN CD on this sailing (Greg)?

**** edit ... I just noticed your post FROM the Glory... :o ****

Tom

Archived