NOT new to cruising--new to seasickness

Just got back from a cruise and had one rough day at sea. I had the patch with me (the one that goes behind your ear), but didn't use it as the feeling passed within an hour or so. However, the rest of the time I did not feel sick as bad, but definately felt a teeny bit queasy.

My question is this...how many of you are actually using this patch (I think it's called transderm scopola--- patch) while still enjoying a few cocktails each day? Must be alot of you because MANY People are wearing these patches. I am worried because my doctor advised me NO DRINKING while using them and she also mentioned an odd thing that would happen with my eyes (ie. pupils dialated, hard to read, etc.). ANY ONE OUT THERE HAVE ANY ADVICE?

My hubby and I both took a Bonine (over the counter medication) every morning. It does not make you drowsy like Dramamine, appears to be the same ingredient as the prescription Antivert. We were in 15-20 foot seas on our cruise as we returned, lots of people were seasick on the ship. We had no problems.....we were having a great time and eating everything in site! I think the trick is being consistent, and taking the meds before you need them. If you wait till you feel queasy, it is too late. We took one the morning of our departure, and one each day while cruising. The only issue that I had (hubby didn't) was that when we got back on land, and I was no longer taking the Bonine, I got sea legs on land, was dizzy for a couple of days! Someone on this board had the same experience, said they took the bonine for a couple of days after the cruise, I followed that advice and then all was good!

Kimberly60..........I noticed that this was your first post on CC and wanted to say..........Welcome!!:)

I have been fortunately lucky.................as the last time that I was sick........and I really mean green sick, was on my first aerobatic lesson in an aircraft. I just wanted to die when I got out of the aircraft............but then after that.............the worst that we have experienced was in the Sea of Japan......with the edge of a typhoon.........winds that were clocked at 100 mph...........and that's not fun on any ship.

My wife wears the patch............and now she has a new wrist band, with electro magnetics. She has not tried it as of yet........but the people that we have talked to.........swear by it. And, you can have as many drinks as you want!!

Rick

My husband gets motion sickness simply turning around too quickly so it took me 30 years to talk him into a cruise. Finally, with the scapolomine patch and my fingers crossed we took our first cruise 5 years ago and will take our 4th coming in December. He has never had a problem with seasickness since he has been using the patch and continues to drink. Our doctor advised us that maybe we shouldn't go "hog wild" with the drinking, and if he had any problems he should back off, but he has not had any trouble. Sometimes he has a scratchy throat but it goes away as soon as we leave the ship. The trick with anything is to take it BEFORE you get sick, He always puts the patch on the night before we sail and changes it every 3rd day. Good luck and give it a try.

I get sooo dizzy just bending or turning in car, but believe it or not find ships easier (tenders are bad for me though). I mean I feel more movements than most but do very well. Every person is different when it comes to meds. I had side effects from the patch (first cruise).... nausea, dry mouth, white tongue, dizziness, pupil dilation. I had to go to the medic and he told me to remove it immediately. I find the wristbands help alot too. Less Drowsey Dramamine (pill) is the exact same as Bonine (a chewable pill). One of them makes me too drowsy (I am sensitive to meds) so I take a half and I do fine. Also the world swears by ginger pills and candies. I always take them with me, but never have needed them. My cruise I got back from Sunday had two rough patches for a few hours but I find if I move..walk around...I feel better. Boy, what we all put up with for the love of cruising!!!!!lol

I take the prescription Zofran- works like a charm. No drowsiness or any other side effects. I find that I can take it just prior to pulling out of ports and I"m good for the night. I also take it for sea days.

Kay

Just love this fruit flavored dissolve in your mouth pill. I pop one before we leave for the airport & I am ready for the flight & first night at sea. Then each morning I pop one in my mouth to enjoy as I look out the balcony at where we are going or arrived at & I am set for that day too.

I get car sick riding in back seats, amusement park rides, cruises, even spinning in a game with neighborhood kids. BONINE WORKS!

Hey, I use the sea bands. I carry them in my purse everywhere I go just in case. I get motion sickness in cars, planes, ships, anywhere there is motion. I used the patch and it dilated my eyes and they stayed dilated for 2 days after I took it off. I too am very sensitive to meds and get all the side effects.

I luv the bands. And they will work even after you have started feeling queasy. They work on any kind of nausea, I've used them after overeating and drinking and they helped. Doctors sometimes prescribe them for expecting moms for morning sickness, no side effects remember.

I saw a study on MythBusters that says the bands don't work but ginger does. This confused me because DH and I both have engineering backgrounds and we did not believe the bands would work when I first tried them. But after a few tests, we are sure they work. I've loaned extra sets to friends and they work for them. But others report no on this site, so go figure. All I can think of is that it is really important to get the pressure on the correct spot on your wrist for them to work.

I would try ginger for sure if my bands didn't work.

Sorry to ramble on, just trying to help.

I wear the patch so does whole family. We all drink moderately while using. The dialated eyes are likely from touching the patch and not really washing your hands well enough and then touching your eyes. My sister had that once. My mom gets very dry mouth. I've used them twice with no side effects. Try out a few things to figure out what is effective with least invasive side effects for you.

As much as I love cruising...I still have to take the Bonine. The trick of it is...to take it before you leave for the cruise...that's right...the morning I leave...I take Bonine...and then I take it each morning for the next 3-4 days and then nothing bothers me for the rest of the voyage. If it does get rough I can take it again...always take it in the morning for best results.

ROSS

My wife wears the patch............and now she has a new wrist band, with electro magnetics. She has not tried it as of yet........but the people that we have talked to.........swear by it. And, you can have as many drinks as you want!!

Rick

Our hospital used the bands as part of a study about post operative nausea. I never did hear the actual outcome of the study, but I bought some of the bands before our last cruise (hubby gets seasick).

These are NOT the same as the cheap pressure bands available.

Neither of us got sick, though I have wondered if it was placebo effect (the nurse in me tends to be cynical - I've seen patients complaining of pain smile with relief after I flushed their lines with saline. They thought I'd given them a pain shot, though I never represented that I had) or if they really have an effect. In any case, we had a great cruise!

I also get a little queasy on a plane, car, rides, ship, etc. and have used both dramamine and the Trans Derm Scoop. Dramamine always works for me. The Scoop cures sea sickness and worked great with only a little dry mouth the first two times I used it. This past March using the Scoop gave me a terrible sore, dry throat and I was even hoarse. Very uncomfortable. Maybe because I had a couple of drinks every day. I'm trying dramamine next week when I cruise since the Scoop effected me this way. I'll try to find some ginger altoids too. Thanks for the tip.

Archived