In lieu of a trip report ...

DisneyJen

I've just read the two links and can hardly contain my excitement! Thanks so much for each of them, seeing all the photos has laid to rest my fear of what to pack, it all looks so relaxed and uncomplicated and I can easily manage that.

Jen, you came up with the magic word when you wrote *CHICO'S*! Love that place and especially love the 'travellers' line as I can roll them up in the suitcase and then hang them up w/o worrying about wrinkles. And you can't beat black for a basic color, can you?

I'm in #203 on the transatlantic (travelling alone), anyone have opinions about it?

again thanks for all the suggestions!

alita

We were in 203 in April, nice cabin. We like the sound of the sea, the "woosh" as the waves pass, while we sleep. Only downside we saw was some early AM noise if anchoring. Not an issue on transats. Have not done transatlantic on SD but have many on Cunard. Usually try to book cabins forward as we like the up and down motion near the bow. Also, vibration is less though never felt vibration on either SD ship except in the pool on SD 1. Lois also is a big Chicos fan. They call her. I bet she would get valet parking if she asked. Must have one of everything. Me, I have 2 pairs pants, 2 pairs shorts, 2 pairs shoes. See a pattern here? Your trip sounds great. We have not been on SD since late April and it feels like several years. Having withdrawl.

Jen: Thanks for the good words of encouragement about charters. I've also heard that 11 day cruises are usually pretty save.

Cbtjr: Thanks for the link of SD's pictures.

When are the two of you going to be SDing again. How about the Med in Sept. 2007

Mary Lou

Mary Lou,

Glad you enjoyed the link. My next SD cruise is the Atlantic crossing from Tenerife to San Juan on SD2 in November. Then we're booked for South America on SD1 in January. On our cruise a couple weeks ago, we booked ourselves on Voyage 1738 next September. If you want to see an interesting itinerary check that one out. I'll make no further editorial comment on that for now....

Wow Ctbjr ... How did you talk the Mrs. into that voyage:eek: No way to talk DH into that one.

We sadly don't have another SD booked right now Mary Lou. We are trying Seabourn for the first time in December. Between DH's travel schedule for work and DD's school schedule (my parents stay with her when we do our adult only vacation) we were unable to find a SD cruise for '06.

Frequent Traveler and some friends are talking about a fall '07 crossing for our annual "Girls Run Away From Home." Last year Frequent Traveler, who started our group, took the fall crossing by herself and loved it.

I have been looking at Med itineraries for next fall as well since I told DH I really want to do the Med. He has no strong desire but I can get him to buy in if we sail SD ... it is his favorite cruiseline by far ... mine too:D

Wow Ctbjr ... How did you talk the Mrs. into that voyage:eek: No way to talk DH into that one.

We sadly don't have another SD booked right now Mary Lou. We are trying Seabourn for the first time in December. Between DH's travel schedule for work and DD's school schedule (my parents stay with her when we do our adult only vacation) we were unable to find a SD cruise for '06.

Frequent Traveler and some friends are talking about a fall '07 crossing for our annual "Girls Run Away From Home." Last year Frequent Traveler, who started our group, took the fall crossing by herself and loved it.

I have been looking at Med itineraries for next fall as well since I told DH I really want to do the Med. He has no strong desire but I can get him to buy in if we sail SD ... it is his favorite cruiseline by far ... mine too:D

Jen

Why do I have to miss all of the fun stuff?

LOL

Jim... I too love the "whoosh" of the waves so that sounds like the cabin for me. As far as the anchor goes, there are several port stops on this crossing but no matter, I'll use that for my alarm clock.

ctbjr... you'll be making the crossing I was booked on before I discovered the crossing to Rio. As they're at the same time we'll be able to make simutaneous postings on this board -- or perhaps even have a thread where we can share and compare experiences.

Jen... I'd love to join the "girls run away from home" group, I'd been thinking that I'd book another crossing while onboard this autumn -- always providing that I survived my first one!

alita

We say the more the merrier alita! Actually I need to see how Ctbjr and the Mrs. survive the crossing as the Mrs. and I have much in common:p

The idea of you and Ctbjr posting from your cruises in one thread would be WONDERFUL! It will be pretty kewl (that's how my daughter says it is spelled these days) to compare and contrast the sailings in terms of weather, seas and position of the ship (latitude and longitude that is!).

First SD cruise we were on Deck 3 and last one we were on Deck 2. Personally I like Deck 3 better ... I am a very light sleeper and even with my soundmachine I could here the wave action which kept me awake. Of course Ctbjr and my DH say that the sounds of the ocean lulls them to sleep.

Since I know Ctbjr won't give this a try ... maybe we can ask you alita to give sleeping under the stars on your crossing and then a report. DH and I slept under the stars on our repositioning trip last year ... I lasted until about 4 a.m.

Ctbjr did anyone, that you know of, give sleeping under the stars a try on the Med itinerary?

Jen... I am very much up for sleeping under the stars, it's one of the things I'm looking forward to doing! And it will be interesting as the constellations will be different in the southern hemisphere.. perhaps I'll bring along a map of the heavens and a tiny flashlight to help me navigate the night skies...

Still waiting to hear from Ctbjr on anyone sleeping under the stars in the Med:p

I'm not certain. The double bed on Deck 6 was set up for that on the last night but the next morning we didn't see the couple that reserved it so don't know whether they followed through or not.

How warm/hot was it in the evenings on this cruise Ctbjr? Of course like any cruise weather and conditions vary but just wondering if it was too warm to be comfortable outside in the evenings.

It was quite comfortable to be outside at the Top of the Yacht Bar for after dinner drinks and we spent most evenings there. As to whether or not it would have been comfortable sleeping near the bow on Deck 6, I'm not the proper person to ask as that is something that never would enter into my consideration!!!

Alita-

as Jen said, for the 3rd Annual Girls Run Away From Home (2007) trip, the more the merrier.

Though dear Jen, if you keep inviting spouses - the purpose will be defeated as the run away from home part is supposed to leaving behind job, house, kids, pets, and significant other.

Jen - any progress on the 2007 travel plans?

Off to Orlando later this morning, via Jekyll Island. Hope to have dinner with CTBJR and his DW next week.

Frequent Traveler

(last week's travel was lovely Fayetteville Arkansas)

Have pencilled in the 'Girls Run Away From Home' crossing on my calendar and will make the booking onboard in November. Hope it's not sold out by then as the Seabourn crossing seems to be.. I couldn't believe it when I read that their fall 2007 Legend crossing had no 'cheap seats' left!

What advice do you seasoned SD travellers have about bringing a laptop along? I don't really want to do a lot of computer stuff onboard, mainly it would be for emails. Is the ship's system sufficient for that sort of thing?

Re: sleeping under the stars... does one make a reservation for this?

Jen... you can certainly interview me, one of the things I'm looking forward to is keeping a log of this adventurous new (to SD) crossing.. wonder if we'll all be dunked in the pool when we cross the equator?:p

alita

I had switched my booking from the spring 2007 Barcelona crossing to one in November 2007. Which one are you looking at booking ? The one I am booked on is Lisbon to San Juan. I also have a booking on the March 2008 Pride crossing going FLL to Lisbon so I will in effect be doing a roundtrip. The Seadream staff are extremely nice and I booked directly with them. If the staff on the ship are half as nice as the office staff it will be fabulous !!!:)

Archi... I was talking about the Lisbon-San Juan 2007 crossing... the only thing that could change my mind would be if I were to fall in love with the Tenerife-Rio crossing this year and want to do it again next year. I'm mad about Brazil, especially Ipanema/Leblon... just a Carioca at heart!;)

Well... you should be on this crossing since you're a Brazil nut too!

I stay at Marina All Suites in front of the beach at Leblon, it's small and very personal and the restaurant is great. You can see the Sheraton from there but it's another world in spite of being at the end of the Leblon beach. I feel quite safe at the Marina and usually go out walking along the promenade at night.. the street scene is just amazing! I'll be staying on for three days at the end of the crossing, not nearly enough but nonetheless great fun.

alita

Haven't made the call to SD yet about Fall '07 crossing from Lisbon to SJU ... DH jokes that I am waiting to see how Mrs. Ctbjr does on this year's crossing:p

I actually will look forward from running away from our teen-aged DD FT:rolleyes:

What advice do you seasoned SD travellers have about bringing a laptop along? I don't really want to do a lot of computer stuff onboard, mainly it would be for emails. Is the ship's system sufficient for that sort of thing?

Dh always brings along his laptop ... and Blackberry ... and every other electronic toy he MIGHT need. I used our's or Ctbjbr's laptops for email. I remember seeing two computer stations in the library.

Re: sleeping under the stars... does one make a reservation for this?

Yes if you want the front Bali bed (which is the best and most private for sleeping. You can make arrangements at the desk on Deck 3.

Jen... you can certainly interview me, one of the things I'm looking forward to is keeping a log of this adventurous new (to SD) crossing.. wonder if we'll all be dunked in the pool when we cross the equator?:p

Excellent alita!! Of course we would LOVE for you to post here during your trip so we can live vicariously through you

Had thought of switching also but to a Regent SS cruise that ends in Madeira and is earlier than this one .

Actually I have taken a cursory look at the Regent Crossing fall '07 just for comparison sake. Granted the size of the ships of SD and Regent are polar opposites but I wanted to see what a mid-size crossing would look like. It's all about the yacht/ship for me:cool:

I agree with Jen... it's all about the size of the ship. I've cruised on the Voyager and it is a great ship but I'd rather cross on a ship small enough for me to feel the power of the sea.

But.... I do reserve the right to change my mind on this if I'm shaking and tottering by the time I reach Rio!

Archived