Not that I want to tick anyone off, but what is up with RC food

Now, before I start I know that alot of people are going to get angry but here goes.

The food on RCCL stinks! Dinner's are OK. Lunch was the worst. Breakfast was OK.

Now we have been on 2 other cruise lines and took our 1st RC trip on the Grandeur. We were totally disappointed in most of the food on the ship. We thought we would give them another shot so decided to book the Explorer. After reading alot of current posts on their food I think NOT.

Maybe RC should spend less time on ice rinks, golf, the surf thing, etc and concentrate on their FOOD.

OK, let me have it!!!!!!!!

Are you wanting to hear others' honest opinions, or will you consider anything contrary to yours as an angry response? Whichever...I can honestly say I don't share your opinion of the food "stinking". There are some good dishes, some better, some I would definitely send back. It definitely isn't gourmet, but always enough choices to find something I enjoy. JMHO and no anger.

I have to agree. We were on the Enchantment in June and weren't impressed. We had cruised with Disney and Carnival before that. Believe it or not, Carnival's food impressed us the most. Disney was a close second. There wasn't a meal on our cruise that I loved (or even remembered). I wasn't impressed with their desserts, either. I still managed to gain 4 pounds however!

What do ice rinks, golf, and surfing, etc., have to do with you not liking the food?

I suppose the op means that if they invested as much time in the quality of food as they do shows ect, that the food would be better.

Guest cvbart
What do ice rinks, golf, and surfing, etc., have to do with you not liking the food?

Meaning they should spend some money improving the food.

I always managed to find somehting that I liked on the ship. On our last few RCCL cruises (the 4 day Majesty, and the 8 day Voyager Repo cruise last year), we pretty consistantly found that breakfasts in the dining room were long, and were better at the buffet. We found that the lunch buffets were unappetizing, and that lunch in the dining room was better. And found that overall, the food in the dining room was quite tasty.

I am hardly a meat and potatoes kind of gal. I'm a rather seasoned cruiser, having cruised quite often with my mother who is a travel agent before getting back in the habit of cruising with my husband. Hubby is a chef by trade and a rather snobbish food guy. He had no real complaints about the food either.

To each their own...

My opinion of rcl's food is just fine. I never go hungry and find that there is enough variety to choose from. Also, if you think about the amount of people they are serving at the same time, it's very difficult to please everyone. There could be some improvement (with anything else in life) but overall it's all good.

I do not have to purchase it, clean it, cook it or clean up afterwards....I'm happy:D

Cruising is a way of life.

Linda

I think RCCL's food has improved greatly especially since acquiring Celebrity, who, IMO, has the best food of any cruise line.

I LOVE Disney & the cruise itself was wonderful. Their entertainment is the best on the seas but their food left a lot to be desired. It seems the food was catered mostly for the kids; I was very disappointed.

Barbara from Philly

Dont agree at all, we just sailed on the Jewel and thought the food was great, have been on 4 other RCL cruises, and have never had a bad experience, sure, some dishes aren't as good as others, but we love the food

No flames, I just disagree with you. I don't have the most discerning palate, but I'm very picky about the things that I like to eat. I've never walked away from a meal in the dining room, or buffet on Grandeur or Mariner, hungry or disappointed. I chose what I wanted, got it the way I asked for it, served with what I thought was great care, had plenty of it, and the decor of the dr's was very nice. Last cruise on Mariner, the steak was so good and I ate it so fast I was kidding with my waiter who asked how I liked it, and told him that I wasn't sure since I ate it so fast, I might need another to actually taste it. Next thing, I looked up and he was bringing me another entree, it just doesn't get any better than that IMHO. That's only my experience though, I'm not a connosieur, and don't pretend to be one. I have enjoyed my experience so far, and as far as Grandeur is concerned, I'm sailing her again in October, almost exactly a year from my first pleasure cruise, and can only hope that Atilla is still there in the dr. He was absolutely awesome.

Meaning they should spend some money improving the food.

Then maybe it would be best to say that RCI should fix the food problem before they engage in multi million dollar new-builds. Though I have to say that I don't really think that there is a food problem in the first place. On any RCI cruise that I've been on I can't recall ever experiencing the sensation of hunger the entire week I was aboard.

Is it just me - or is food just a really non-important issue for me when I am on vacation?

Personally, I didn't start cruising with high food expectations - so I have never been disappointed. I thought the food on my past 2 cruises was very good, granted some menu items were better than others - but food was plentiful and so was the variety.

All-inclusive land vacations usually have pathetic food - so when I take these kinds of holidays my expectations are pretty low.

When I am cruising, I am far more interested in the sun and surf than I am about what I'm going to eat for my next meal :o Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a good meal and feel that RCI certainly has enough variety to satisfy just about anyone - or.......almost anyone!

I have learned to lower my expectation on the quality of the food since I first starte cruising (which was a very long time ago). That way I'm not disappointed.

However is saying that I have to add that our last cruise on the Tahititan Princess the food in the dining room was excellent.

The worst food we've ever had was on the Serenade. Now that was really disappointing. (along with the poor service.)

There was a time in the late 90's where the food quality and choices did decline, however I've noticed an improvement over the past few yrs in RCI's fod quality. A lot of how the food is prepared depends on the Exec Chef onboard-- some are better than others, but I would hardly say the food "stinks". Earlier this month when I was on the Briliance, I had some of the best cruise food I've eaten in a while. The Monarch also has some great food--- too bad they can't clone those Chefs.

Is it just me - or is food just a really non-important issue for me when I am on vacation?

Personally, I didn't start cruising with high food expectations - so I have never been disappointed. I thought the food on my past 2 cruises was very good, granted some menu items were better than others - but food was plentiful and so was the variety.

All-inclusive land vacations usually have pathetic food - so when I take these kinds of holidays my expectations are pretty low.

When I am cruising, I am far more interested in the sun and surf than I am about what I'm going to eat for my next meal :o Don't get me wrong, I do enjoy a good meal and feel that RCI certainly has enough variety to satisfy just about anyone - or.......almost anyone!

I feel the same way.

I going on a cruise to cruise and see the islands and not for the food. I can always find something I like.

I'm easy to satisfy. A cruise is what YOU make it do be. Go with an open mind. Have fun.

I have learned to lower my expectation on the quality of the food since I first starte cruising (which was a very long time ago). That way I'm not disappointed.

However is saying that I have to add that our last cruise on the Tahititan Princess the food in the dining room was excellent.

The worst food we've ever had was on the Serenade. Now that was really disappointing. (along with the poor service.)

Lynees, I couldnt agree more. The food all sounded delicious, but tasted bad. I did enjoy Carnival food much better. Why do we have to lower our expectations for food on a cruise? No, I don't expect a gourmet restaurant. But the food should be at least good. If these cruise lines are choosing to make bigger ships, the food and the service has to still meet their prior standards.

I've always found the food in the dining room and windjammer good to decent. Usually a nice selection to choose from, and on the rare occaision I don't see something I want, there is always Johnny Rockets or Seaview Cafe, depending on the ship.

Not to mention Chops or Portofino. For a few extra bucks you can get premium dining.

But food is always very subjective, and I can't fault anyone for their own opinion.

There was a time in the late 90's where the food quality and choices did decline, however I've noticed an improvement over the past few yrs in RCI's fod quality. A lot of how the food is prepared depends on the Exec Chef onboard-- some are better than others, but I would hardly say the food "stinks". Earlier this month when I was on the Briliance, I had some of the best cruise food I've eaten in a while. The Monarch also has some great food--- too bad they can't clone those Chefs.

One thing I do not like is the new limited Breakfast menu on debarkation day-- they no longer offer Eggs Benedict-- that's the one day I eat breakfast in the dining room and it's a major disappointment not to have that offered.

I did think that food quality in the windjammer for lunch was not as good as previous years and in the dining room I just had steak everynight becuase I dont like anything to fancy. Like someone else commented as long as I dont have to cook or do dishes I am happy.

It is is funny, but the best food I have had on RCCL was on the Serenade. From breakfast to dinner it was great. Sure there were some meals that were better than others, but overall I thought the food was pretty darn good.

I have cruised Disney too and I thought the food was good there as well. If you subtract the revolving dining there were pretty much the same. For that extra special touch I went to Palo(sp) on Disney and thought it was fantastic, but then again i went to Chops of the Serenade and LOVED IT!

Not to hold myself up as some authority, but I have also dined in some of the best ladn based restaurants as well as attended many of those convention dinners and lunches. I happen to think that RCCL does a great job. Could it be better, of course, but if I really picked at almost any place I have dined apart, I probably could find something to bi**ch or rave about.

Like a previous poster said I cruise for amny reasons, fodd is on, and is important, but not the most important.

I sail on the Mariner next week and am looking forward to the entire experience...including the food.

No flames, just my perspective

I am not criticiaing RCL food. YET. We are booked on Freedom in August. Based on everyhting I have heard, I have very low expectations. I do think Food is important - prefer Celebrity and HAL over other cruise lines. First time on RCL in almost 10 years. Want to try a megaship just once. I will make my own decision in three weeks.

Cannot understand the attitude - There is always plenty of food - I never go hungry. There is always plenty of food at the Hometown Buffet for $5.95 and you can totally stuff yourself on carbs and fats at MacDonalds for less than $10. Not what I'm looking for in a cruise. I do not expect Gourment food (although every Cruise line brochrue uses these words), but I expect a lot better than "plenty of food".

I know that some people say they don't go for the food. That's fine, but the food is one aspect of many that we go for. We also go for the entertainment, the various ports, the smooth sailings and the good times.

Having to lower our expectations has been a disappointment however as long as we can find things we like to eat that's fine.

On the Serenade we ended up going to Chops which was outstanding, however I don't think it should be necessary to have to pay extra to get what used to be served automatically.

Archived