Not that I want to tick anyone off, but what is up with RC food

I'm a foodie and while food on any cruise ship that I've been on is not a five star experience, I have always found something I really enjoy. I loved the food on the Mariner of the Seas last October.

No, it's not steller, but it's good.

Guest cvbart
No, I am sorry but No. The price of a cruise is far less than what you would pay for a hotel, activities, and all meals, for the same period of time.

These food threads are starting to bug me. People want more activities, more features, better food, but all for a lower price. That is ridiculous. Cruising is a relatively inexpensive vacation when you add everything up. I really don't get why people expect so much because you're really not paying that much.

Our we could raise the price a little and make the food much better.

Is the glass half full or half empty:)

I don't think RC needs to do a complete food overhaul.

I think they could make a whole lot of people happy by changing just a few popular items.

If they set out to create, say, the best tasting pizza and burgers, I think it would make a big difference in people's opinions of their food.

These are staple foods for all ages....if they are delicious, people would probably start raving about the food on their cruise.

How hard would it be to create a delicious pizza?

We just returned from Grandeur and I have to say that I did not have one complaint about the quality of food. Of course, this being my first cruise could have jaded my taste, but the other 19 people traveling with me, most of whom have cruised before, had no complaints either. I have been telling anyone who will listen how great the food and service was on our trip. The only downfall would be the jostling of people and food trays and trying to find a seat in the Windjammer during peak meal times. Some days we had breakfast and lunch in the dining room, but it takes longer. I would go again in a heartbeat. Key lime pie, bananas foster, cherries jubilee, creme brulee, chocolate cake, lobster tail, prime rib, mushroom omelets, chicken marsala, I could go on, sorry. Debbie.:)

I'm a foodie and while food on any cruise ship that I've been on is not a five star experience, I have always found something I really enjoy. I loved the food on the Mariner of the Seas last October.

No, it's not steller, but it's good.

I was on Celebrity Millennium in April the food on it was excellent but my DW did send a few things back just the same. We are going on Mariner in March and I am sure that this foodie will still find something fantastic to eat. I am also certain that the DW will send something back again as well. The food on a Cruise can be fantastic or it can be average. A lot depends on A. where was the food purchased. B. Who is the head Chef. C. Has the staff been moved around recently. and D. What port are you going out from. There are way to many variables in food quality and preperation so regardless of the line or ship someone is not going to like the food. I try everything and even if I don't like it I tried it for the experience of something new. Cruise food is better than most people cook for themselves anyway. And it's just because they don't have to do the work.

Eat up the food is usually very good. :D

I have learned to lower my expectation on the quality of the food since I first starte cruising (which was a very long time ago). That way I'm not disappointed.

However is saying that I have to add that our last cruise on the Tahititan Princess the food in the dining room was excellent.

The worst food we've ever had was on the Serenade. Now that was really disappointing. (along with the poor service.)

It's funny, I was just thinking that the only odd thing I ever had to eat on RCI was on the Serenade. On lobster night we were served these tiny little things that looked like a large curled up shrimp with a bright green pesto sauce all over it. Two bites...and whatever it was was gone. :) Most of the rest of our food was enjoyed. I do remember there were a few things that seemed different than what we expected but it wasn't so strange as to remember what it was at this point in time.

The sugar free desserts were enjoyed as usual. RCI does a great job in that dept.

Our service was great as usual. We weren't crazy about our table location so we had it moved to the tiny dining room just to the right before entering the main dining room.

I think it is a difference in the kitchen staff, or maybe even in the kitchen setup. We been on three cruises so far in the last year, Majesty, Sovereign, and Grandeur. The menu on all three is very similar. On the Majesty and Sovereign everything was superb. On the Grandeur the roast duck and the steaks came out very dry and tasting overcooked. I chalked it up to sailing during Spring Break and a full ship.

The Windjammer at lunch I have found to be acceptable, but not terrific on all three ships. I did "discover" having lunch in the dining room at the end of our cruise on the Grandeur. That was fantastic.

I've been on six RCCL cruises and have found the food consistently good and to my liking. In fact, I'd put it up against Celebrity or Princess any day. My only complaint would be they need to vary it somewhat for repeat cruisers (same thing for the entertainment - sat through "Boogie Wonderland" three times!).

That said, I could do the roasted garlic soup every day for a couple of years and not tire of it.

I've been on six RCCL cruises and have found the food consistently good and to my liking. In fact, I'd put it up against Celebrity or Princess any day. My only complaint would be they need to vary it somewhat for repeat cruisers (same thing for the entertainment - sat through "Boogie Wonderland" three times!).

That said, I could do the roasted garlic soup every day for a couple of years and not tire of it.

I agree with all you said. Some things are worth repeating. Garlic soup - yummy!

Instead of Boogie Wonderland, it's time we check out some of the less followed lounge and bar entertainers.

Well, they DID change the ranch steak....to a new name anyway. :)

For my two cents, I've never been disappointed for dinner in the dining room. Nor, disappointed for lunch in the dining room. Breakfast in the dining room is so-so, but I prefer it to the Windjammer any day. My real favorite is room service for breakfast!

The Windjammer is only ok in my book. I will say that there are a few items in the Windjammer that are quite tasty (the honey stung chicken comes to mind). However, there is no variety. After a couple of days it gets old real fast.

My only complaint is to shake up the menu. We were on the Monarch two times and the Vision once in an 11 month time span and I recall a lot of duplication. Not that I wouldn't mind the garlic soup, roast duck and chocolate creme brulee as an option every day. As long as I'm complaining, why isn't there a full room service breakfast menu on the Monarch? All you could get was a continental breakfast and nothing hot. Has anyone tried to order a full breakfast in room service on the Monarch? The Vision has a great selection for room service breakfasts. Can't wait until December!!

I just wish when people complain about the food they would say what they didnt like about it. We always like the food but we also enjoy all types of food so we always find things we like to eat. I love the lunch menu because they have a good salad bar and we love salads. We have never had a meal we didnt like or didnt eat because it tasted bad. It's not 4 star but its usually tasty and we like the variety of choices. I did Celebrity once and didnt think it was as good as RCCL, I guess everyone has different tastes in food. Looks like the Food Police are at it again, where are the fashion police when you need them? I must admit they have lowered the number of choices but I bet its because it makes it easier for preparation. I say do away with the midnight buffets, I see more food thrown away at that!!

I think, IMHO, that your post says it all. The food on most all of the mass market lines is not four or five star. It is two or three star quality food. It is hearty, has good flavors and you sometimes find something unique or unusual, but if you go on board expecting five star quality in the dining room you are going to be disappointed.

BTW, I'm not complaining about the food. I can always find something that I like.

Re cruise food-

I do not really cruise for the food, but I will have to say I have never met a desert I didn't like on any of the RC cruises.:D The Grand Mariner soufle (sp) was to die for. I will have to add that I was presently surprised by the lobster on the Serenade. It was very good, not at all the sometimes tasteless stuff you may get when that many people are being served.

I hate buffets so last cruise we had lunch in the dining room on our sea day and found it to be very good. We are going to make it a future practice to lunch in the dining room from now on! We can always find something we like on the menus.

Ohhhh! Love2vacation just had to mention that Grand Manier souffle! Drool!!! That really was wonderful. And I'm not even a dessert lover. :eek:

Like some others have said, I think a lot depends on the Executive Chef, staff, etc. On our first RCI cruise on AOS a couple of years ago, I didn't think the food was as good as the food on Princess. Not horrible or anything, just nothing to get excited about. Then when we were on Explorer last March, I thought the food was head and shoulders above the food on Princess. Different ship, different chef, whatever.

However the food turns out to be, I'm still looking forward to cruising again (next Feb.) on my beloved Adventure of the Seas!!!

Elf

I think they could make a whole lot of people happy by changing just a few popular items.

If they set out to create, say, the best tasting pizza and burgers, I think it would make a big difference in people's opinions of their food.

These are staple foods for all ages....if they are delicious, people would probably start raving about the food on their cruise.

I don't go on a cruise for pizza and hamburgers. We live in New Jersey where you can get the best pizza in the world. Anything they serve on a ship would be a big disappointment.

No, I am sorry but No. The price of a cruise is far less than what you would pay for a hotel, activities, and all meals, for the same period of time.

These food threads are starting to bug me. People want more activities, more features, better food, but all for a lower price. That is ridiculous. Cruising is a relatively inexpensive vacation when you add everything up. I really don't get why people expect so much because you're really not paying that much.

I completely agree, cruising was more expensive when I sailed for the first time 18 years ago, how many things actually get less expensive over time? You will find the food debate on virtulally every cruise line. when I went on my first cruise on the soverign in '88 there was no alternative dining, you had breakfast, lunch and dinner, no buffet option for dinner, and I don't remember room service being available, everyone at at their assigned time in the dining room, we felt pampered. There was no 24 hr. pizza, there was a pizza party hosted in the windjammer one night on a seven day cruise. Now cruising has become a great bargain vacation, especially since more departure ports are being used, and many can drive there. I chose my next cruise based on price and the fact that I can drive to the port, this vacation will be a great bargain. I have a theory that many people who pay big bucks for a really nice room, are the ones most dissapointed, if this is the case, these people need to realize that they paid for the room, and when they step out of it, they will experience the same cruise as those with the basic inside cabins.

We live in a society that wants more and more and wants to pay less and less, and businesses have to try to figure out how to make this work, we are seeing how wal-**** is doing this, and people flock to the company who gives them what they want, regardless of how they do it. With that said, you will never satisfy everyone. Has cruise food declined, I think yes, will I starve, or be forced to eat really gross food, I highly doubt it. I think for the price of the cruises so far, the food has been pretty much in line, and better than what I would eat on land vacations, lets face it we probably don't eat nearly as well or as often, on a land vacation, at least I cant afford that.

just my 2 cents

Happy cruising!

Ok, show of hands please..................

Who remembers Bicker?

He had done some research and posted how much of our cruise fare goes to pay for food, as opposed to other costs, and it was something insanely (to me) small, like $12 a day.

For that, I think that the food we get is fabulous. :)

If you want better food, you're going to pay for it, in spades. Try Radisson/Regent (as the least expensive of the high-priced lines).

Ok, show of hands please..................

Who remembers Bicker?

He had done some research and posted how much of our cruise fare goes to pay for food, as opposed to other costs, and it was something insanely (to me) small, like $12 a day.

For that, I think that the food we get is fabulous. :)

If you want better food, you're going to pay for it, in spades. Try Radisson/Regent (as the least expensive of the high-priced lines).

You are right on on the prices of the food. In comparison to what we are paying for fuel our cost for food is low and yet we eat very well indeed. In fact I can't get food that cheap unless I shop at Save a Lot and then I have to fix it. So I think all cruise lines do a great job when it comes to food. Even a bad meal on a cruise beats a good meal I fix ;) Have a great cruise and as always eat well. :D

I love Royal really I do but I have to agree sometimes the food is not very imaginative. I really enjoyed Celebrity, everything was wonderful. RCC has been hit and miss, but I don't cruise for the food alone it's the whole "cruise experience" that I love. If I cruised for the food alone I'd weigh 300 lbs.;) .I'm looking forward to our Rhapsody for the fun times we will have not just breakfast,lunch and dinner.

Hey Merionmom

Be it the mush I am familiar with or the classic recipe you describe, either would have been vastly superior to what was served. Trust me, I know Coolwhip and canned strawberries when I see them. Even the waiter seemed embarrassed to serve it. And speaking of specific food nightmares, I never did get an Eggs Benedict that was palatable. I don't think the Eggs Benedict problem is unique to Royal Caribbean however because I have heard the same complaint from cruisers on other lines. Nevertheless, the Eggs Benedict on the Serenade were so hard, you could have used them as a weapon. I sent them back 3 times and simply gave up on the fourth. Still, in a perverse way I'm glad the food wasn't top notch. Otherwise I would have overindulged like I invariably do on other cruises and am always sorry when I get home and step on the scale. :-)

I think 90% of the complaints about food on board especially at dinner come from one place. The cruise ship passenger ordering food from the menu without input from their waiter. On any given menu on any given night, there are choices on the menu that will be very good and there will be choices which will not be good. The only person who knows which are which is your waiter. If you fail to ask your waiter which choice is the best each night, you are playing Russian roulette. Nobody that I know thinks playing Russian roulette is smart. Therefore, it is your own dang fault.:p The waiter wants you to be happy and will always lead you towards the good menu items and away from the bad. Failure to utilize this critical tool is not smart. JMHO.

jc

Something is wrong with the world when you could increase the perceived quality of the food by serving better burgers and pizza. Jeezzz, guys come on. McDonalds is available everyday for you on land. Good grief. Comments like this tend to imply that people who post have no idea what good food is. People need to grow, and have new horizons and try something just a bit outside of your normal routine. JMHO.:(

jc

Archived