Not that I want to tick anyone off, but what is up with RC food

Ok, show of hands please..................

Who remembers Bicker?

He had done some research and posted how much of our cruise fare goes to pay for food, as opposed to other costs, and it was something insanely (to me) small, like $12 a day.

For that, I think that the food we get is fabulous. :)

If you want better food, you're going to pay for it, in spades. Try Radisson/Regent (as the least expensive of the high-priced lines).

My hand is up! Call on me!!!!!!:D

jc

Something is wrong with the world when you could increase the perceived quality of the food by serving better burgers and pizza. Jeezzz, guys come on. McDonalds is available everyday for you on land. Good grief. Comments like this tend to imply that people who post have no idea what good food is. People need to grow, and have new horizons and try something just a bit outside of your normal routine. JMHO.:(

jc

IMO, many folks think cruise food is "great" because (1) it is free, (2) it is always available (3) they can get all they want.

We are a society that in general values quantity over quality.

I would never choose RCI for the food that they serve; it is standard banquet fare as one should expect from kitchens who serve thousands of meals per day. Some of the items offered are better than others, none are gourmet and with a daily budget of under 10 pp per day, they do a pretty good job of appealing to the masses

I could care less about pizza, fast food, free ice cream etc., personally and generally choose from the alternative menu at dinner and enjoy lunch in port and breakfast in the dining room.

The specialty restaurants are, however, quite good and well worth the extra $$$ if one wants to enjoy a higher quality of food and caliber or service.

I ALWAYS ask the waiter to reccommend items for the day but some days on the Serenade, all the food was garbage. I am really beginning to think that the food on any particular cruise is hit or miss unless you book on the Crystal or lines of that ilk. Somewhere in this thread a person mentioned that he thought people who book suites are the most dissapointed because they are expecting better food for the price they pay. Well, I always book suites and on some cruises the food is really good and on some cruises the food is awful. It has nothing to do with price I pay. I think many years ago, the food was consistently good on almost any cruise. Now it's not, so if I have lowish expectations then I'm not dissapointed when the food is crummy. I just try to have the most fun I can at the ports, pools, spa etc., and I always do. That's why I still love to cruise.

I ALWAYS ask the waiter to reccommend items for the day but some days on the Serenade, all the food was garbage. I am really beginning to think that the food on any particular cruise is hit or miss unless you book on the Crystal or lines of that ilk. Somewhere in this thread a person mentioned that he thought people who book suites are the most dissapointed because they are expecting better food for the price they pay. Well, I always book suites and on some cruises the food is really good and on some cruises the food is awful. It has nothing to do with price I pay. I think many years ago, the food was consistently good on almost any cruise. Now it's not, so if I have lowish expectations then I'm not dissapointed when the food is crummy. I just try to have the most fun I can at the ports, pools, spa etc., and I always do. That's why I still love to cruise.

My waiter always made a recommendation to me for dinner. The food was still bad. Some nights I could not even pick out something to eat. One person in my group literally ate steak for 6 nights in a row.

My waiter always made a recommendation to me for dinner. The food was still bad. Some nights I could not even pick out something to eat. One person in my group literally ate steak for 6 nights in a row.
I have to say if thats the case it's not a problem with Rici's food. It's a problem with people being to darn picky.

There are always many options and if you can't find one you will enjoy thats not the cruise lines fault.

Just returned from the Rhapsody (9th cruise for us- Platinum members, 22nd for mother-in-law- 1st time RCI), Windjammer has truly improved over the past years- especially for breakfast. M-i-l thought food was best she's ever had. She just got off of a 21 day HAL cruise and thought RCI was better. Their selections are not as gourmet by discription but were all very delicious. I think it is a matter of taste. BEST LOBSTER I HAVE EVER HAD!

Something is wrong with the world when you could increase the perceived quality of the food by serving better burgers and pizza. Jeezzz, guys come on. McDonalds is available everyday for you on land. Good grief. Comments like this tend to imply that people who post have no idea what good food is. People need to grow, and have new horizons and try something just a bit outside of your normal routine. JMHO.:(

jc

No offense but you seem to be missing the point of this post, in retail we call this "nailing the basics" meaning that if you do the basics exceptionally well, the overall impression of the products you offer will be better. You will see alot of people on the carnival board raving about the pizza served on their ships, this basic item, which people eat often, will leave a good impression. If cruise lines can "nail the basics" like good burgers, pizza, steak, chicken dishes, and basic seafood items, I feel that the overall impression of the food would increase. Cruise lines do a good job of promoting their food as gourmet, when it really isn't, just hard to pronounce. I too like to try new and interesting things when on a cruise, but can also appreciate, when I can just pick up a good burger ( I don't eat fast food burgers, can't stand them unless I am on the west coast and can get an in-and-out burger.) I feel if cruise lines can get the basics right, their customers will be happier, we know how certain food should taste and when the basics fall short, it will leave people with a bad impression.

Just one man's opinion!

No offense but you seem to be missing the point of this post, in retail we call this "nailing the basics" meaning that if you do the basics exceptionally well, the overall impression of the products you offer will be better. You will see alot of people on the carnival board raving about the pizza served on their ships, this basic item, which people eat often, will leave a good impression. If cruise lines can "nail the basics" like good burgers, pizza, steak, chicken dishes, and basic seafood items, I feel that the overall impression of the food would increase. Cruise lines do a good job of promoting their food as gourmet, when it really isn't, just hard to pronounce. I too like to try new and interesting things when on a cruise, but can also appreciate, when I can just pick up a good burger ( I don't eat fast food burgers, can't stand them unless I am on the west coast and can get an in-and-out burger.) I feel if cruise lines can get the basics right, their customers will be happier, we know how certain food should taste and when the basics fall short, it will leave people with a bad impression.

Just one man's opinion!

OK, I guess that is the difference between Carnival customers and RCI cruisers. I don't think the majority of people on a RCI cruise are ordering pizza and burgers for dinner... :D I consider the basics to be steaks, escargot and creme brulee` silly me! :p

I really think that is why they charge more for the carnival cruises! I am killing myself, I am going to force myself to stop before I go into convulsions. :D

jc

OK, I guess that is the difference between Carnival customers and RCI cruisers. I don't think the majority of people on a RCI cruise are ordering pizza and burgers for dinner... :D I consider the basics to be steaks, escargot and creme brulee` jc

I absolutely agree. I could not care less about burgers and pizza on a cruise. Now maybe kids do of course, but shoot they really don't care what it tastes like anyway.:D

I absolutely agree that pizza and burgers are not basic staples of food. The fact that Carnival does a better job at them is not a recommendation to me. BUT, there are people that do really care how the pizza and burgers are (or in the case of Princess that they don't have free ice cream available all day). So I don't discount the fact that it does make a huge difference for them.

Now, before I start I know that alot of people are going to get angry but here goes.

The food on RCCL stinks! Dinner's are OK. Lunch was the worst. Breakfast was OK.

Now we have been on 2 other cruise lines and took our 1st RC trip on the Grandeur. We were totally disappointed in most of the food on the ship. We thought we would give them another shot so decided to book the Explorer. After reading alot of current posts on their food I think NOT.

Maybe RC should spend less time on ice rinks, golf, the surf thing, etc and concentrate on their FOOD.

OK, let me have it!!!!!!!!

I cannot agree more. RCCL's food is just horrible. Everything tastes like it was boiled in a bag. How can they have such a loyal following when they serve this kind of food? I found their ships to be dirty and housekeeping just not up to other cruise lines. One thing that truly amazes me is that RCCL continues to let passengers serve themselves in the Windjammer. Thousands of people touching the serving utensils and food - is it any wonder that they don't have more severe outbreaks of the novovirus? Not for my money - food, bedding, housekeeping all inferior to most other lines.

I have been on several cruises (one Carnival) and I have NEVER eaten pizza or burgers on any of the ships. I can eat those things at home if I want, so why would I want to eat them on vacation, and especially on a beautiful cruise ship!:rolleyes:

Personally, I like to try different things when I am on vacation- examples would be different types of fish prepared creatively, deserts I can't get at any restaurant in my home state, different appetizers, soups, etc. I personally rate a meal by the desert, so maybe I am not the best judge!!!;)

I cannot agree more. RCCL's food is just horrible. Everything tastes like it was boiled in a bag. How can they have such a loyal following when they serve this kind of food? I found their ships to be dirty and housekeeping just not up to other cruise lines. One thing that truly amazes me is that RCCL continues to let passengers serve themselves in the Windjammer. Thousands of people touching the serving utensils and food - is it any wonder that they don't have more severe outbreaks of the novovirus? Not for my money - food, bedding, housekeeping all inferior to most other lines.

Not sure what ships you have sailed on but we have been on RCCL 4 times and have never had a horrible boiled in a bag meal. We have always found their ships to be clean with great service as well. As far as serving yourself the two carnival ships we were on did not serve us either, it was serve yourself also.

Happysinglemom- Re kids tastes- when ours were young they thought a great meal out was a "Happy Meal"at McDonald's so I don't think you can go by kid's taste in food.

After sailing on RC and CCL (I think next will be Princess so I can really give a good review) my DH would say that Carnival edges out RC for total food choices, taste, and look (he is pickier about food than I am though). I might have to agree, but RC edges out CCL for service so I don't' care which line we go on because after all I'm on vacation and they both have great deserts:D !!

I personally rate a meal by the desert, so maybe I am not the best judge!!!;)

HAHAHA! I thought I was the only one! An ok meal becomes spectacular with the right desert!

...and it does not matter how many stars the restaurant has!

AAAAh, another food fight! Well as for Pizza, I have never had pizza outside of Metro NY that was even close to being good except for a Pizzeria owned by a personal friend on St Thomas who used to own a restaurant in NYC. The reason for this is the water has an effect on the dough and then of course comes the sauce and so on. So to say YOU hate the pizza I wonder what you are using as basis of reference.

You see we all have different criteria for the way food tastes. Rose (RM) and other said bland was a problem. For me that may be an issue, but from a person like my FIL who will not eat a morsel of meat that is not overdone and has no seasoning on it whatsoever, garlic and spices would not do a thing for him. So if you ask me it is impossible to make everyone happy.

So far for me, NCL was the only cruise where I found some of the food subpar, on the rest of my cruises I have always found something I liked. But like some others have said, food is NOT my main reason for a cruise.

RCCL's food is just horrible. Everything tastes like it was boiled in a bag. How can they have such a loyal following when they serve this kind of food? I found their ships to be dirty and housekeeping just not up to other cruise lines. One thing that truly amazes me is that RCCL continues to let passengers serve themselves in the Windjammer. Thousands of people touching the serving utensils and food - is it any wonder that they don't have more severe outbreaks of the novovirus? Not for my money - food, bedding, housekeeping all inferior to most other lines.

Gosh I guess I was lucky to get the one RCCL ship that served delicious food every night. :rolleyes:

And as far as the buffet...there are jillions of that style of restaurant open for business (and doing a booming one) every day. Go figure.;)

Well, it seems the food can vary a bit ship to ship. (We sailed the Explorer one March and then the Voyager the next, and noticed both the food and the service was better the 2nd yr., on the Voyager. Go figure! :confused:)Guess, as my dad used to say (he was a chef!), "It can all depend on who's behind the range!" But as a diamond member of RCCL, I can say w/out a doubt RCCL's food has gone downhill, slowly, over the years. I'm not saying their food is bad. There is always something that we like. But, and this goes back even BEFORE the 9/11 incident and the excuses of cut backs due to the fact that the ships weren't making money and had to make cut backs, etc., their food seemed to be on the decline. When we first tried Carnival, ICK!!!! The next time, a few yrs. later, it was much better. Then it was pretty good the next time, too. The final time - in March on the Liberty, we thought it was absolutely, by far, the WORST food we had ever, in 20 cruises on various lines, had on a ship! (I know some won't agree w/me, but the people in our roll call group all seemed to agree on this!) I will agree that Celebrity's food IS the best (although I was skeptical until I had it) and do not think it has rubbed off on RCCL- at all. We love Princess's pasta and Carnival's pizza, and enjoy Johnny Rocket's - just for the fun of it! But yeah, I wish RCCL would do a bit better w/the food.

Seems like those who have been cruising w/RC have noticed a decline, so perhaps the OP is onto something. I do expect great food, and when I "sell" the idea of cruising to others - and I've done a great job of that, I sell the food aspect too (I'm talking about dining room, not buffet), so it IS a big deal.

Anyway, we're going on the Monarch in April, so it's great to hear that its food seems to be very good.

Gosh I guess I was lucky to get the one RCCL ship that served delicious food every night. :rolleyes:

And as far as the buffet...there are jillions of that style of restaurant open for business (and doing a booming one) every day. Go figure.;)

And there are two jillion McDonald's and the like out there but it doesn't mean they serve good food.

Food is very subjective and what you consider delicious other people may consider boring and poorly prepared. I couldn't believe it when people told me that they thought the chocolate creme brulee on Grandeur was excellent, when our opinion was that it was just chocolate pudding with a poorly melted sugar topping. So either we got a bad preparation, or they just didn't know what creme brulee was supposed to taste like (or they just liked chocolate pudding with sugar on top). I'm going to try it on Explorer, just to see if they know how to do it correctly.

I'd rather be on Celebrity, but for the money I am saving cruising on Explorer, I can go out to a few really nice meals once I'm home. And I won't have to hear my kids complain that there's nothing to do on the smaller ship.

Archived