What book will you be reading?

stillfrantic

I probably won't be doing much reading. When there's a lot of activity around me that keeps my attention. However, I'm sure DW will go through several 18th century romance novels.

Da Vinci code is great. I just purchased The Puppeteer (story of J. Edgar Hoover---as never told before) to read, along with some John Grisham books on our upcoming Maasdam cruise.

What book will you be reading on your next cruise?

I've always been strange.

I probably won't be reading any book.

Instead, I'll be working with another author during my seven-day Zuiderdam cruise to write one. :)

Always a lot more fun.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Yes, I need to do some reading. Usually I just go with the ships library. But its good to have one or two for the plane.

If you havent read Seabiscuit, its wonderful. Last cruise i read the Secret Life of Bees. Loved it. Great southern novel.

Last summer was the da vinci code followed by Angels and Demons.

I will admit to reading Clintons autobiography but its too heavy for vacation.

I admit to reading Nicholas Sparks and John Grisham on vacation, too. I really like biographies as a genre.

This thread could not have come at a better time for me! I'm recovering from an accident (fell off of our dock into our boat and broke several bones and cracked ribs). :( Sadly, never made copies of any of the "Book Lists" from the old CC board.

Be careful what you wish for! :eek: I'd been wishing for time with nothing to do BUT catch up on reading! Now, I'm in pain and bored silly with NOTHING to do except read!!!!

Getting ready to order some more books. Has anyone read any of these? :confused: Your opinions would be greatly appreciated!

At the Tomb of the Infatable Pig, Murder on the Marnora, From Columbus to Castro: The History of the Caribbean, or Death in a Deck Chair

Would be VERY greatful for any other suggestions as well! Enjoy mysteries on cruise ships and any sort of travelogue of Caribbean/Latin America!

Happy Sailing! OCruisers! :)

It's still too far off, so I can't really say. Something that will hold my attention on he flight before the cruise, for sure. Maybe I'll pick up a book or a series I read many years ago. I haven't touched Azimov's Foundations series since the mid 1990s. Perhaps it would be a good idea to revisit some old friends??

I'm always reading something. Last Cruise I was working on a book detailing the history of the interpretation of the Book of Revelation. Wow, now THAT was interesting -- and involved -- reading. I missed most of the flight to and from Vancouver because I had my nose in the book the whole time. I didn't touch it ON the cruise, however ... too busy looking at the beauty around me.

OCruisers,

So sorry about your injuries; I hope your recovery is smooth and rapid.

May I suggest you pass some of the recuperation time with James Michener's CARIBBEAN. It's technically fiction, since he makes up characters and dialogue, but it also involves historical figures and events, which make it an entertaining way to learn about the islands.

Carol Louise

I am on book number 6 of the Left Behind series by Tom LaHaye and Jerry Jenkins. I don't have as much time to read now in the summer as I do in the winter. So---On our Prinsendam 28 Amazon trip I will be taking a few of this series with me. My hubby has already finished reading all of them. He always goes to the ship library and takes books out. Penny

We are bookaholics. We usually are into one of the books by one of the Kellermans, Johnathan or Faye. We both enjoy the dectective series that they write. Chimera, my husband is an absolute fool for anything written by Terry Pratchitt, especially his disc world series. And we can always hope for the new Harry Potter book.

We love all sorts of books. A good mystery or psychological thriller will do for either of us. I'll take historical fiction or biography, as well. Chimera likes, tounge-in-cheek comedy and political humor. And we also fill in with science fiction here and there.

On a cruise, however, we tend to get lost looking at the sea. We read "The Da Vinci Code" on our last cruise. Actually after we got home, we got lost looking at the sea. It was truly awesome.

It's really to soon for us to have settled on anything for our next cruise yet. It's not until December on the Statendam.

Linda

Jacqueline...I loved The Secret Life of Bees also. Really good.

OCruiser...Sorry to hear of your mishap. Hope you find some entertaining reading to hold your interested while you mend. Hope you have a speedy, fully recovery.

If you have not yet read the Harry Potter books, you might wish to. I read the first just to see what all the hooplah was about. I was sure "children's" books would not interest me. I was soon hooked and think they are great.

For those interested in history, particularly nautical exploration a la Capt. James Cook, you may find the book Blue Latitudes by Tony Horwitz very interesting. The author and a friend set out to visit most of the places Capt. Cook "discovered" and charted in the late 1700s, with detailed accounts of those voyages taken from the logs and journals of Cook and company, interspersed with what the author and friend find now in those same places. Warning: you may find any ideas of the "romantic South Seas" , if the author's reports are accurate,somewhat dashed by the current state of affairs in those places. This is in paperback, $15.00.I found it fascinating.

I LOVE John Grisham books. Is there a new one out??

I'm reading Grisham's "The Last Juror" that's his latest I believe. I'll probably take a Janet Evanovich, Stephanie Plum novel with me. She has a new one out, #10 in the series and I'll wait till I go on my cruise to read it.

Is anyone else here familiar with Evanovich? She is a great writer, it's mystery and she's the only one who ever wrote books that I actually laugh out loud reading.:)

Revneal,

Originally Asimov published three books in the Foundation trilogy. Years later he put out two more books (so I guess it's no longer a trilogy). Have you read the last two?

Archived