Anniversary Celebration....what do you think?

sail7seas

When I read a long thread like this one I have a tendency to just skim over the posts to get the gist of the discussion. I had not seen where S7S had said she would be strictly upfront about the dates, etc. when requesting a cake, so I don't think she would be cheating by any stretch of the imagination. And yes, it is such a small thing and I'm sure HAL would probably be happy to provide a cake to anyone on request. And, yes, I'm sure we all cheat a little---speed limits, etc. Still, the decision on whether or not to cheat to any degree has to be personal and not conditioned on other's opinions.

OH NO NOT AN ALCOHOL THREAD *LOL*

Seriously, like it or not there is a policy on bringing alcohol on board , Do I agree with it? NO

Do I like it? NO

But it is a rule.

the matter of the cake is altogether different . They are made especially for the Pax enjoyment. They are available for anyone who wishes to enjoy them for their special occasion

I certainly cannot say I have read each and every post that S7S has ever written, but of the many that I have, I personally have never seen her judeg anyone for any of their actions.

True , she will state that a certain act or thing is not for her or something that she would not do, but I have never seen her condem or ridicule or judge someone who does.

She states her opinion or point of view on a matter as everyone else here does.

A few months ago I told the board about a Gay couple on my 2002 Hawaii cruise. They had been together for 30 years and wanted to celebrate their relationship. One of the ways they did that was by dancing together in one of the lounges, along with the other couples. Another way that they got to celebrate -- I didn't see this, they told me about it -- was that their table (a table for 8, with 3 heterosexual couples) told the staff that this couple was celebrating 30 years of monogamous life together and could HAL do something for them. The staff brought this couple one of the little cakes.

Last year when booking a cruise directly with HAL, I ordered a special package, mentioning that we would be celebrating our anniversary the week we returned. The HAL rep SUGGESTED we have a cake and even suggested the night-one week before our anniversary and on a formal night. He said we like to do this for our passengers. So apparently HAL doesn't consider it cheating to celebrate your special day early ot late!

I don't think it will make a difference what anyone thinks. People do what they want. If you want the cake order it. I still think the cake should be ordered and decorated with green grass and a blue sky since this appears to a favorite quote.

Just saw this thread is back. Last I looked you had to have a 'password', which of course meant it was locked as there is no password. Does anyone know what happened?

I first assumed it was closed because of the 'cheating' feud, but now see that those posts are still on here. My 2 posts, however, are gone and I wasn't involved with any of the unpleasantness. All I asked was what kind of cake does HAL make for special events and mentioned that DH and I will be married for 43 years in July so I must be older than I feel. Anyone else have their posts removed?

Now why would anyone ask to have those posts removed yet the nasty and controversial ones remain? What gives here, Doug or Walt?

:) peaches from georgia

Don't know why your 2 posts on here were removed. Don't know if anyone else had their's removed from here. Mine is still here.

The thread that had "removed" was one I started when I wished s7s a happy 35th anniversary and things got out of hand on evening. I also clicked on it and discovered that you had to have a password - have no idea what that is all about. I assume it is for the hosts.

:)

[quote name='superstein61']Orcrone - my position isn't directed solely to S7S. Its to anyone on this thread who advocated cheating about the date and getting the cake - yet criticized others for cheating about dress or alcohol.

Sorry - cheating is cheating - no matter how small or big it is. To say its ok to cheat on one thing and not another is hypocritical[/QUOTE]How can the cake deal be cheating? I believe the fact has been completely missed that HAL doesn't publish guidelines/standards regarding when you get cake or observe celebrations. They [i]do[/i], however, publish them with regards to evening dinner dress and bringing alcohol on board.

I just booked the Renewal of Vows (ROV) package yesterday for our cruisetour in late August. Our 40th anniversary falls on the day that we disembark so it made sense to "cheat" a little.:rolleyes:

However, the prime reason I'm adding to this thread is to let everyone know that the ROV package now includes dinner for two in the Pinnacle Grill. The price is $129.00. When you review the package on HAL's web site, all of the included items are listed except dinner in the Grill.

As a continuing example of HAL's problems with internal communications, I was asked by Ship Services to name a date and time for our Grill reservation. However, since the Captain determines what date and time the ROV event will take place on each cruise, there is no way to give an informed response. Eric, Ship Services, assured me that they will make adjustments but recommended that, when we board and find out the exact date and times of the event, we should call the Grill to confirm.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='jhannah']How can the cake deal be cheating?[/QUOTE]
Seas did ask the question and wanted opinions. This is all about one's perspective. Where one may think it is cheating another does not.

Some people like having a fuss made over them. Asking for the cake to celebrate something when technically it is not their anniversary or birthday during the cruise seems perfectly fine to them. They like to celebrate and in their minds they are celebrating the birthday or whatever.

Then there are people who would never dream of doing this.

When comparing it to bringing booze on board it is really any different? Some people seem to think bringing booze is cheating but ordering the cake is not. An earlier post mentioned bringing a bottle on to celebrate. What is the difference? One wants a cake, another wants the bottle of booze.

Each person should decide for themselves. If they choose to , let them celebrate whatever and however they want!:)

Hello S7S,
I have enjoyed reading your posts and your kind nature always seems to shine through. I think this whole thread is much ado about nothing! When we booked our most recent cruise for last February, the HAL booking agent asked if the cruise was to celebrate anything in particular. We told her yes, our 50th birthdays and momentous anniversaries: 25th for us and 30th for the couple we were traveling with. The agent asked if we would like a cake in honor of our birthdays and anniversaries. We thought that would be lovely, but little did we know we would receive 5 cakes throughout the week. After the third cake, we declined anymore. My point being...HAL asked if we were cruising for a special occasion and seemed more than willing to make our celebration special. NEVER WAS IT ASKED IF WE WOULD BE CRUISING DURING THE ACTUAL DATE OF OUR BIRTHDAY OR ANNIVERSARY. That appeared to be incidental in the eyes of HAL. What seemed more important is that we chose HAL to celebrate these special occasions. Have a wonderful cruise and enjoy your cake!!!!!

Thank you, Cameron. What a nice message. I greatly appreciate it and wish you Congratulations on your happy events. I hope you (and your friends) have the opportunity to celebrate many more momentous occasions aboard one "dam" ship or another. Thank you.

My wife's 70th birthday is Jan 28, 2006. To celebrate the two of us are doing the Amsterdam 32 day Singapore to San Diego in November 2005 and we are taking the children and the grandchildren someplace because of school dates during presidents week in February 2006- where is to be decided.

This is our sixth HAL cruise in the past 3 years and I have no problem asking for a cake even though the birthday is over a month away or two weeks past and I will not feel I am cheating or taking advantage or commiting any other transgression that might be envisioned.

S7S...how about this...

On your first night in the dining room, you call over the Maitre'd and tell him that you are celebrating your 35th anniversary on this cruise, even though the actual date isn't for a few weeks. Then ask him whether it would be possible to have a cake during the cruise. He will either say: "I'm sorry that is not possible"....or....."We would be delighted to have a cake for you." I'm guessing it will be the latter, but whichever way it turns out, the decision will be HAL'S and the ethical dilemma can be put to rest.

Cake or no cake...congratulations on your 35th! That's really something to celebrate. (Personally, I'd chuck the cake and try for an extra tulip!)

Excellent idea, Tricia. Thanks for going to the trouble of suggesting it and thank you for the good wishes. (Those chocolate tulips are pretty wonderful, aren't they :) )

Lilloppop.....Thank you and I send my Congratulations abd Best Wishes to your wife ...Hope you both have a perfectly wonderful cruise. It sounds fabulous.

[quote name='superstein61'] IMO cheating on cake and cheating on booze are no different - they are cheating.[/QUOTE][font=Comic Sans MS]Tell me if I'm wrong (I know you will), but I thought the whole question went to HAL's policy with regard to such things. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]With that premise, I still insist that there is no HAL policy with regard to when one chooses to celebrate an event. However, there [u][b][i]is[/i][/b][/u] a HAL policy with regard to bringing alcohol onboard.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]So my conclusion remains that you are [b]not[/b] cheating HAL if you tell them you are celebrating an anniversary. You are if you bring alcohol onboard.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]I think it absolutely is a CC topic. If it weren't, the question probably wouldn't have been asked. When we all come together on a ship, we exist in close proximity to each other. How we behave and the way we conduct ourselves has everything to do with how much we enjoy that cruise.[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]So I think a good natured debate about "ethics" is pertinent and deserves its time here. If it's a subject we don't find interesting, then we don't have to read it. But I don't think any of us have a right to decide whether a thread is of value to the community. [/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]Threads are like rivers which eventually reach the sea. Along that path they may pick up a lot of twigs and run over a lot of rocks, but flow they must:o .[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]One major difference. Essentially, everything you eat onboard a cruise is "free", i.e. you've paid for it in your cruise. So you can have 3 entrees, 3 desserts, whatever you want including cake. In a restaurant, I would totally agree with you and would NEVER say it was my birthday if it was not. Besides, who wants to be a year older:D ?[/font]

[font=Comic Sans MS]That's why I saw it differently. The food is free, the alcohol is not. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]But I'm going to give a little;) . It is absolutely an ethical question. And it is borderline. It's just that from what I've read, HAL is okay with a person celebrating an anniversary near the date instead of right on the date. [/font]

I think HAL would find this thread 'funny' and 'silly'
People book cruises or vacations for their birthdays, anniversaries, etc and can NOT always do it on that 'particular' day, but it is their celebration, regardless.
My hubbie and I will be cruising to Alaska for the second time on May 16,2005. It is in honor of our 40th wedding anniversary (May 30, 1965).

We will definitely celebrate on board with a cake!!!!

Cheating? How silly!!!!

[quote name='CamelliaCity']

Cheating? How silly!!!![/QUOTE]

You are missing the point - by a long mile.

Its not whether cheating about a cake (and yes - it is INDEED cheating) is silly. Its about whether one takes consistent positions and doesn't contradict themselves.

ie - cheating on booze is wrong but cheating on a cake is OK.

both are cheating - if you are ok with one, you have to be ok with the other

Archived