New Packing Recommendations needed

grannynurse

So if things havent changed by 28th October the laptop and cameras will be staying at home, we will have a great holiday and cruise as usual but the memories of it will not be there in the years to come for us to look at.

Hello Darspurs,

I presume you must be a Spurs fan with a name like that!!

I agree with everything you say about communication with elderly parents and children especially as we are away for 3 weeks. Don't have a laptop so no problem there but couldn't manage without mobile phone. The camera and camcorder is a much bigger problem. 9 days in the Canadian Rockies and 7 days cruising to Alaska demands that we bring back plenty of photos and video footage.

As the value of the cameras should be covered by our travel insurance and if not by our household contents insurance would mean that I would probably risk it. The worst thing is if they went missing on the way back. However, it would seem that we would be allowed carry-on flying to the UK if not going. So as I see it we could pack them going out and if they went missing could buy replacements in Canada.

Let's hope things change in the next couple of weeks.

Lloyd

I think grannynurse meant to offset the extra weight of putting liguids and gels in your checked luggage by leaving your formal clothes at home.

In that regard , I have another suggestion...pack all your extra shoes in your carryon to compensate somewhat for the extra weight of toiletries in your checked luggage. Keeps it under the weight limits.

Ah ... weight. Ok. Well ... how much do such liquids and gels weigh? In my case ... not enough to matter. AND, as you suggest, off-set the difference by sifting stuff to carry-on luggage that you otherwise would pack in your checked luggage. :)

Hence ... I don't see the purpose.

By the way, I heard that if the plot had not been foiled, it is estimated 4000 could have been killed. Kind of makes our packing concerns pale in comparison,does'nt it?

Yes, our concerns pale in comparison. But we still have them, still need to figure out how to pack, etc.

RevNeal you have made me laugh so hard during some of these posts you have enlightened us with today.:p I got some really bad news today and was told that my cancer has spread into my liver. I also have it in my bones. I was sad:( until I read your posts that made be burst out laughing. :D So thank you for that. Not letting this cancer monster ruin my life. Leaving on the 19th for disneyworld. September we are taking the RV on a journey. In October we are sailing on Ms. Westerdam (first HAL cruise) Last but not least we are sailing on the Grand Princess in November. I sure appreciate all the humor I read on this board. Makes life worth stickin around and livin life like theres no tomorrow !!;)

Rhonda, I'm so sorry to hear about the spread of your cancer and I'm pleased I caused you to laugh. Laughter is a fantastic medicine, one that I believe in and don't think one can overdose on! I was trying to lighten the mood for many relative to this security scare and the packing nightmare it is generating, but clearly there are people with even greater concerns.

May you be blessed with joy and happiness!

Ah ... weight. Ok. Well ... how much do such liquids and gels weigh? In my case ... not enough to matter. AND, as you suggest, off-set the difference by sifting stuff to carry-on luggage that you otherwise would pack in your checked luggage. :)

Hence ... I don't see the purpose..

Rev. Neal you don't understand how much we women take on cruises..;)

Grannynurse takes longer trips as do we & I see where she is coming from.....

My DH carries a very small toiletry bag with razor, after shave, deodorant, toothbrush, shampoo, hair tonic & a just few more small articles..His weighs less than a lb. also he takes for formal wear one TUX, several different accessories, 2 formal shirts & one pair formal shoes in addition to a sport Jacket with tie, etc.. & this was for our 24 day cruise..

I on the other hand carry 2 formal skirts 4 Formal tops, a long formal dress with 2-3 pair of dress shoes & purses..After all our shoes & purses must match our outfits..Lots of Jewelry to go with each outfit..

My 4 large toiletries cases (2 hanging ones) carry all my make-up, Nail polish, Elec. toothbrushes & floosers w/a large bottle of mouth wash, meds & vitamins for DH & me, shampoo, conditioner, elec. curling Iron, body washes & creams, deodorant, both our Meds & vitamins, all of the extra little things we might need in case one of us gets sick..My toiletry cases alone weigh close to 10 lbs..:o

If we have to fly, I'll just have to cut back on some of my shoes & a few other things, but it would be so much easier if we could cut out some of our formal wear, even though I really enjoy dressing up...LOL

Serendipity,

Thanks, you expressed my concerns to the letter.

This cruise is shorter but we have a precruise component and a longer post cruise trip through Washington and Oregon. I usually take 2 carryon totes so I don't have to disrupt my cruise clothes, however we have an evening trip on the Spirit of washington Dinner train which calls for something other than casual dress for both of us, so I planned 3 carryons between the 2 of us. Having to pack all our personal and cosmetic goodies in locked luggage is going to be a space and logistical adventure but I've gotten some good hints from this thread so I'll make it a new adventure and have fun doing it.

I saw the comment on the CC home page from a cruiser who suggested that the cruiselines suspend formal dress for a short time and considered that it might be a good temporary fix for many of us.

I certainly don't want to add to airport stress, and we'll all be practicing our best behavior and coping strategies. I'm sorry that Revneal might have seen my comment as "traitorous" because he knows that I am every bit the HAL cruise traditionalist that he is, and perhaps a short term fix isn't the answer, especially if these restrictions hang on for a while, but it's an idea I am willing to entertain for now.

Thanks again for your support, Serendipity

GN

I've been thinking about this and someone made a suggestion on one thread yesterday about them collecting carry-ons prior to boarding and putting them in locked compartments. Taking that a step further, if we are going to have double-screening, couldn't they take our carry-ons at that point and then put them in LOCKED overhead compartments? So, anything that might be questionable would be with us, but we would only have access with the assistance of a flight attendant. Might cause boarding to be a slower process, but was trying to think of something workable in case someone had something they might need (or simply want, true) onboard that was on the prohibited list. Might work well since sometimes when you board, the overhead space near your seat is full and if it were loaded by personnel, they could place the bags by seat number and alleviate the scenario where you have to wait for everyone to debark when you are near the front, but your carry-on ended up 8 rows behind you... Or, may not work at all. Just trying to think of a fix that would be cheaper for airlines, but a tad bit easier on passengers...

Rev. Neal you don't understand how much we women take on cruises..;)

Grannynurse takes longer trips as do we & I see where she is coming from.....

My DH carries a very small toiletry bag with razor, after shave, deodorant, toothbrush, shampoo, hair tonic & a just few more small articles..His weighs less than a lb. also he takes for formal wear one TUX, several different accessories, 2 formal shirts & one pair formal shoes in addition to a sport Jacket with tie, etc.. & this was for our 24 day cruise..

I sound like your DH, except that I'll also take an additional suit and a white dinner jacket for a cruise of 24 days. I like to cruise longer than 7-10 days, too, and, but ... like your DH ... my toiletry items weight about a pound ... maybe a bit more. And, I usually pack it all in my checked luggage anyway. :)

True ... I'm a guy and I just don't understand about you women. :D I know it, and confess it as true.

I've been thinking about this and someone made a suggestion on one thread yesterday about them collecting carry-ons prior to boarding and putting them in locked compartments. Taking that a step further, if we are going to have double-screening, couldn't they take our carry-ons at that point and then put them in LOCKED overhead compartments? So, anything that might be questionable would be with us, but we would only have access with the assistance of a flight attendant. Might cause boarding to be a slower process, but was trying to think of something workable in case someone had something they might need (or simply want, true) onboard that was on the prohibited list. Might work well since sometimes when you board, the overhead space near your seat is full and if it were loaded by personnel, they could place the bags by seat number and alleviate the scenario where you have to wait for everyone to debark when you are near the front, but your carry-on ended up 8 rows behind you... Or, may not work at all. Just trying to think of a fix that would be cheaper for airlines, but a tad bit easier on passengers...
I really like that idea. It would require two things, however.

First the locks would have to be installed.

Second, access would need to be prohibited during the entire trip; no exceptions. (The only way access could safely be undertaken would require that the flight attendant stay with the passenger and the bags as the item(s) are handled, and the FA would have to be able to identify verbotin substances. The queuing of people who want access on a 777, for example, would occupy the FA's full time in flight.)

However the locked bins solves the problem of laptops, cameras jewelry and prescription meds that many have raised. Just leave them locked until the plane has landed and is ready for off loading.

Mom & I fly to the west coast to embark Westerdam in San Pedro the end of next month. We are actually staying with a freind in Newport Beach for 2 nights before embarking the ship. She is cruising too. I might just pack up some things and mail them out to her in advacnce so that I don't have to fly with them. Then will get them back when we arrive and re pack them in my carry on. Mainly just things that will help get through the airport easier and less clutter. Things like chargers for our video camera and regular camera, extra batteries and video camera tapes. I would never check electronics unless we didn't have a choice. Considering leaving my laptop home this time and will just go buy a couple of extra compact flash cards for my digital camera. If we weren't flying I would be more wanting to bring my laptop as I also use it to download and store the photos I have taken.

If we had plans to head to Europe right now, more specific the U.K., we would cancel and do something else. It wouldn't be a problem as we take the cancelation insurance and let HAL do the air & hotel along with the cruise. My dad flew commercially for 31 years. We tried going to Europe on about 3 different occasions as a family and never made it. One reason was the air traffic controllers strike. He said NO WAY so we didn't go.

I heard this morning that lip gloss and lipstick can be taken on board dometic flights. Will have to double check this. Would be a sigh of relief as I always have to carry some chap stick becasue of my terribly dry lips. Sometimes have problems with my ears and sinuses and carry a nasal spray when flying. Now I might have to go to my doctor to see about getting a perscription for a equivalent of a store bought nasal spray. Insane.

But considerang what could have happened if these people hadn't been cought, just think about how those people out there that are flying across the Atlantic in the next week or two feel.

47 cruises on HAL at the age of 41

504 days at sea on 11 different DAM SHIPS

500 day gold medallion holder

9/06 trans canal - Westerdam

12/06 Christmas & New Years - Westerdam

if Holland America doesn't go there WE DON'T GO!!!!

When we're leaving from home most of us can pack our "forbidden" items in our checked luggage, and use spares the morning of departure.

I see the problem more on the other end of the cruise. When you need to pack your toothpaste, deodorant, face cream, etc. in your checked luggage, then have it out by 1:00 AM, then what do you use in the morning? This is a real difficulty.

It's hard to get the timing down just right that whatever product is on it's last use anyway. I hate wasting things!

Maybe when the dust settles Homeland Security will loosen up on some of this? One can hope.

I really like that idea. It would require two things, however.

First the locks would have to be installed.

Second, access would need to be prohibited during the entire trip; no exceptions. (The only way access could safely be undertaken would require that the flight attendant stay with the passenger and the bags as the item(s) are handled, and the FA would have to be able to identify verbotin substances. The queuing of people who want access on a 777, for example, would occupy the FA's full time in flight.)

However the locked bins solves the problem of laptops, cameras jewelry and prescription meds that many have raised. Just leave them locked until the plane has landed and is ready for off loading.

Thanks Walt. In discussing this with DH, we were thinking if there was a master lock system, they could lock them all down simultaneously before we even board, then unlock upon landing - with a master switch. Unless there were some type of (probably medical) emergency, there'd be no need to unlock an individual overhead - and I think that could be done easily with existing technology. And, of course, an FA would have to be present to retrieve the needed item. I hope it doesn't come to something like this, but it's nice to know there is a way around it that would probably not be terribly expensive or personnel-intensive.

When we're leaving from home most of us can pack our "forbidden" items in our checked luggage, and use spares the morning of departure.

I see the problem more on the other end of the cruise. When you need to pack your toothpaste, deodorant, face cream, etc. in your checked luggage, then have it out by 1:00 AM, then what do you use in the morning? This is a real difficulty.

It's hard to get the timing down just right that whatever product is on it's last use anyway. I hate wasting things!

Maybe when the dust settles Homeland Security will loosen up on some of this? One can hope.

I think what is going to happen is that it will be less efficient to use a transfer service because we'll need to open our checked cases to put in the toiletries we use in the morning. We can carry them off the ship, but we'll need access to our suitcase in order to check them on the plane. I might be able to shower the night before, but I'm not going anywhere in the morning without brushing my teeth!

I hope they do loosen up a little. But, it's hard to say what will be acceptable. Travel-size toothpaste? I don't know how much of these various liquid components it takes to make a bomb and if some of it is a small amount, then they won't want to loosen up very much or make many exceptions.

I just wonder if the airlines we travel with (Singapore Airlines, Qantas etc) are still going to give us the packet of freebies each trip such as toothbrush and toothpaste, slippers and eye shield as it is necessary to be able to brush one's teeth whilst on board the plane especially on long flights.

If my toothpaste has to be locked up in my suitcase this solves the problem of brushing one's teeth on a 24 hour plus flight.

Jennie

Put it all in a smaller bag and then put it in your suitcase when you get to the airport.

I just wonder if the airlines we travel with (Singapore Airlines, Qantas etc) are still going to give us the packet of freebies each trip such as toothbrush and toothpaste, slippers and eye shield as it is necessary to be able to brush one's teeth whilst on board the plane especially on long flights.

If my toothpaste has to be locked up in my suitcase this solves the problem of brushing one's teeth on a 24 hour plus flight.

Jennie

Maybe the flight attendents will brush your teeth for you, the way HAL serves us when there is a Norvo Alert onbaord.

Jennie,

I'll try to remember to post on Sunday after our company arrives. They're coming out of Auckland on Qantas. Unless this is changed only for Australia, I'd think the procedure would still be the same.

hammybee - good one, LOL!

Maybe the flight attendents will brush your teeth for you, the way HAL serves us when there is a Norvo Alert onbaord.

Oral-B makes something called Brush-Ups that come in individual sealed packets. They are textured teeth wipes that fit over one's forefinger to clean the teeth. While not as good as the disposable sponge "brushes" these require no water and do make one's teeth feel cleaner and are a minty breath freshener.

They sell one use toothbrushes preloaded with tooth paste. This would get around the problem of brushing your teeth on disembarkation day. Just use it and toss it.

Isn't there a way to download your digital pics on the internet? And maybe you can email them home? That way, if your camera didn't make it home, at least your pictures would.

I am very concerned about the jewelry. I do not want to pack it in my suitcase.

I'm confused. What is the problem about jewelry? Why would it be restricted? I've not seen jewelry mentioned anywhere before reading this. Please, fill me in.

Silverwing & Barriesdad

It may not be a perfect solution, but if you are afraid of losing valuable cameras, then you could buy a cheap digital camera at your destination, post the photos to a website - there are several available - from an Internet cafe and retreive them from the website when you get home. If you lose the cheap camera on the way home, then at least you have the photos.

Jennie,

I'll try to remember to post on Sunday after our company arrives. They're coming out of Auckland on Qantas. Unless this is changed only for Australia, I'd think the procedure would still be the same.

hammybee - good one, LOL!

I would be interested in hearing whether they were given any freebies once on board. :)

Reading what Qantas has put out re travel to the U.S., there was no mention of not having lipstick with you in the cabin. I don't apply makeup when on a plane but I do apply lipstick as my lips do get dry and also I feel better with a bit of colour. I can cope with everything else. In fact I am going to take the advice of a poster on this thread, and pack my carry on bag with shoes instead of the toiletries, shampoos etc. that normally are carried in it.

Jennie

I hope those "exchange kiosks" (great idea!) are set up promptly, but failing that, perhaps all the airport shops that are removing liquids and gels from their inventories could simply repurpose them: sell to de-planing passengers who need to replace items given up during the boarding process. And meanwhile, instead of the trash, maybe the collected items could be sent to homeless shelters or other venues where they are needed.

I've also wondered if post offices still have "general delivery" service available - we could mail the necessary items for pick up at the Post Office. Friends in the area, or our hotel could work too. I have Fedexed things overseas too - Fedex later sends the customs bill.

On some trips, I pack nearly-used up toothpast or deodorant, then dispose of it before return; this can also be used for underwear, T-shirts, similar things you were going to give to Goodwill anyway.

I don't travel with expensive jewelry anyway, and wear a lot of black or navy with interesting accessories to minimize the amount of luggage. People rarely notice (or at least don't comment) that I wear the same clothes more than once. Guess I'll accelerate this technique. I've made use of disposable cameras too (quick development available even in very out of the way locations) in circumstances where I didn't wish to have an expensive camera. Pleasant surprise how good the resultant photos can be.

I certainly don't plan on reducing my travel - then the terrorists really win!

I would be interested in hearing whether they were given any freebies once on board. :)

Reading what Qantas has put out re travel to the U.S., there was no mention of not having lipstick with you in the cabin. I don't apply makeup when on a plane but I do apply lipstick as my lips do get dry and also I feel better with a bit of colour. I can cope with everything else. In fact I am going to take the advice of a poster on this thread, and pack my carry on bag with shoes instead of the toiletries, shampoos etc. that normally are carried in it.

Jennie

Jennie,

My BIL and family got the kit w/toothbrush, toothpaste, eyeshades, and socks. No one remembered what else, if anything, was in there. One of their pens was not alllowed - a gel-type pen. It was probably one of their children's from the sound of it. Sorry, it's a little chaotic when folks first arrive and I didn't get too many details tonight.

Hope that helps! :)

What I plan to do is buy small containers of toothpaste, deodorant, mouthwash, etc. and pack them in my checked luggage on the way to the cruise (if I have to fly to the port of embarkation). Then, I'll just leave the stuff onboard when I leave at the end of the cruise. This way it's available to me when I get cleaned up in the cabin on the morning of disembarkation.

I figure there shouldn't be that much left that leaving behind will present any kind of a hardship.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived