Suggestion for Balcony Passengers

luv2cruiseny

Please please please - when either you leave your cabin or are in for the night - remember to turn off the light on your balcony.

Your next door neighbors would really appreciate it - the light does manage to slip through the edge of the drapes in the room - and if your neighbor wanted to leave thier drapes open during the night - they can't.

I know on Fantasy last year the lights only worked in port. And we were only in port at night once. There are other lights (running lights) that are on a ship so other ships can see it and are required by law. So, not sure what you're talking about.

SAILED on the miracle last summer - upgraded to suite - the balcony had a light switch right inside the door - believe me - it wasn't the running lights for the ship - and they worked at sea. Maybe the regular balcony's do not have light switch's (which would be fine by me) I'll let you know in a few weeks when I sail on the legend in a standard balcony

SAILED on the miracle last summer - upgraded to suite - the balcony had a light switch right inside the door - believe me - it wasn't the running lights for the ship - and they worked at sea. Maybe the regular balcony's do not have light switch's (which would be fine by me) I'll let you know in a few weeks when I sail on the legend in a standard balcony

regular balcony cabins also have a switch by the door which will only work when you are in port. When we were out at sea the switch was disabled.

Well, we also had a suite (Cat 11) on Fantasy and believe me, our lights didn't work at sea. We tried the switch. We thought they must be burned out. They weren't.

Very interesting that you are saying that on the Carnival ships you can't turn on the balcony light at night. We haven't sailed Carnival for several years so I don't remember the Carnival experience, but I know on Princess (as late as this past January) one of my favorite things to do is read on the balcony at night before going to bed. Obviously I need light to do that and I have never had a problem. Of course, this is not in the MIDDLE of the night, but could be as late as midnight or 1. We turn off the balcony light before going to bed.

So are you telling me that on my upcoming Carnival cruise I won't be able to read on the balcony at night because they control the lights??? Geesh.......

Judy

We enjoyed the suite but realize a suite on Fantasy is the size of a balcony on newer ships (like Glory). VIP boarding was easy which is one of the reasons we booked a Cat 11 on Glory in Nov. My DH liked the "special attention" we got for boarding also. The Cat 11 on Fantasy was on the Verandah deck and had a lot less cabins than other decks so it was very quiet and we didn't run into many people in the corridors. There's a thread somewhere on the Fantasy class suites.

We had a 7A balcony on the Miracle in June. Our balcony light worked every night and I read out there until about midnight, then I turned it off. It was very bright -- I think it was a 4 ft. fluorescent tube. I didn't need my booklight at all.

I have had balcony cabins on the Triumph and the Glory. Both had light switches for the balcony light but they never worked while at sea. I have only had one late port night (Cozumel, Triumph) and the light worked until we set sail.

I would suggest a booklite if you like to read on the balcony at night. Also, you can turn on the lights(the one closest to the wondow should suffice) in the cabin and keep the drapes open.

Our balcony light worked at all times on both the Legend and Miracle. We were on the aft, and from what I have read on here, if your balcony light can disturb the bridge, then they have the abilitly to disable it.

This is a very good suggestion though as last year, our neighbors NEVER turned off their light...and it did indeed creep in through the curtains. It kinda messed up star-gazing as well!:(

I would also like to suggest to people in balconys to PLEASE don't let the door slam. I can't tell you how many times I have been awakened very early in the morning by someone going out on their balcony and just letting the very heavy door close with quite a thud. Just hold on to it and let it close quitely. So much nicer.

I love the balcony's too. They are especially nice to sit on when you get to your room and get to watch all the activities going on down on the pier. And when you get to port, if you are on the port side, then you can just watch the beauitful seaside views of the islands. They aren't very big so you definitley can hear your neighbor who is sitting out on theirs. And they can hear you. Also if you are out there and look up or down, you might just see those people too. I'm a really early bird. When I get up and go out on the balcony, usually everyone is sleeping. Make sure you get up early enough to enjoy the sunrise. Absolutley breath taking, and that goes for the sunset too. I usually HATE the chairs they have out there. I would love a chaise or just a stool you can put your feet up on. We end up taking a table and a couple of pillows to prop our feet up on. Sometimes if you are lucky you get to see marine life. I just read one post, where they actually saw a whale. How cool is that? Anyway, just enjoy it. To us it's worth any extra money you have to pay. Oh, and sometimes if you are on the port side you get to watch the late returning passengers running for their life to make the ship before the gang plank goes up and it is so funny, because everyone that is on the balcony is watching the poor guy run and the cheers are so loud, it is a riot.

Warning, if you leave your balcony light on while at sea, I am sorry if we are using our balcony for things you may then see....;) Please, yes be kind and turn your lights off, some of us like to sleep with the curtains open and wake up to the sunrise .... after all the natural light is why most of us like a balcony. Thanks!

Warning, if you leave your balcony light on while at sea, I am sorry if we are using our balcony for things you may then see....;)

My next door neighbors left their balcony light on ALL night EVERY night.:mad: Impossible to conduct WMS with all the light. Our Canadian neighbors on the other side did get to enjoy WMS becuase we kept the lights off.

So what is the deal here...CCL turns lights out at sea or what?

DW and I love WMS. We do it every chance we get!

Apparently our Canuck neighbors did as well. Seems she was skilled in the golf ball/garden hose thing.:rolleyes:

Archived