"LIVE" from the Explorer 8-11-06 Cape Liberty

Radio

I learned that there is a possiblity of a shuttle launch from Kennedy Space Center on the Sunday after we sail at 4:30 pm.

Do you have any idea if we will be in the vicinity at that time. In other words, please let me know where you are on Sunday at 4:30 pm.

You can watch the Ocean Lab information web page (which has a map) for this information:

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/rccl/obs/ex-rt-obs.pl

I haven't kept watch on it lately, but most of the time it seems up to date. From the track it looks like she will be pretty far out from Florida.

Theron

Hi Radio

Only 6 weeks before we sail on the Explorer 9/22 ! !

From reading your posts, I know that you have been upgraded on some of your other cruises, and I was wondering if you knew if any upgrades were available, and whether or not you upgraded on this trip ?

Thanks for the live posts - but hey ! Don't forget you are on holiday !

Enjoy

KEV :) :)

Hi Radio-

You seem to have a big fan club here!

I'm looking forward ot reading another one of your reports live and seeing your pictures.

Was the water rough leaving from Cape Liberty? Since I live in New York I would love just once not having to fly somewhere to catch the ship but with my motion sickness problem I am afraid of crossing the Atlantic.

Thanks so much for taking the time to post during your vacation. I have 3 cruises booked on the Explorer, so I'm really looking forward to reading your reports and seeing your pictures. My first one isn't for 8 weeks, but I'm getting (even more) excited reading your reports! :)

Hi Radio!!!!! I'm very happy to see a Live week on the Explorer from you! Have a great time! I'll be following along with ya all week long!

Thanks Adventure Girl.....

As you know I love to do the "Live" reports...but Mrs Radio says I have done enough of Grandeur . <g>

Radio

;)

You can watch the Ocean Lab information web page (which has a map) for this information:

http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/rccl/obs/ex-rt-obs.pl

I haven't kept watch on it lately, but most of the time it seems up to date. From the track it looks like she will be pretty far out from Florida.

Theron

Thanks for checking in Theron.... I have been waiting for a plug on my "Live" reports <g> :D

I have been comparing the Website with my GPS... so far it has been very close.

We should be about 500 miles from the coast of Florida tomorrow at 430.

Radio

;) ;)

Hello everyone… Today was a great day. This morning it was sunny and warm…this afternoon, it got a little cloudy any rainy. OK…there was a small storm we went through. But what the heck ? We are on a cruise ! There is lots to do.

I went to the Planet Ice Show, and it was a very good production show…lots of good music a great performances. I also went to the Ocean Lab presentation which was very nice. Tomorrow I will go on the Ocean Lab Tour on deck 2 which should be very nice as well.

I just spoke with the Hotel Director (Oliver Gienivere <sp>?) at length. He informed me that the cabins that had new bedding on deck 9/10 were just a test for about 30 cabins. They were installed several weeks ago. The date for the new bedding for all cabins will begin on Aug 28, 2006. Every 5 and 9 days when they get to Cape Liberty, they will replace 300 beds. He said there were over 4000 beds to change. They will only change over the bedding while in port, due to storage problems with the old bedding. He also said the original date for the new beds were back in June..then Aug 11….it is now Aug 28. He was a delightful guy, and I think he loves his job.

We are currently about 400 miles off the coast of South Carolina. The ocean has been pretty calm, but there is some rolling. We are about 970 miles from St Thomas, and we are traveling at about 21-22 knt.

Yesterday’s In room movies were Batman Begins, and Perfect Man. Today’s movies are The Skeleton Key, and The Dukes of Hazzard. Just to answer a few questions….There was no problem with check in. I carried on lots of beverages with no questions at all. I even had to open my roll-on so they could check my laptop, and the beverages were in clear view. There are also NO restrictions on toiletries like the airlines.

I plan on attending the Production show tonight at 1045 , and will try to catch the Late Night Comedy at 1215.

Here are a few more pics…the rest are uploaded daily to my Cruise Photo Page ( See Below) I will try to provide captions for all pics once back on shore. I will also scan all the Compasses.

Radio

A little cloudy and rain on the pool deck tonight..

pebkac.jpg

Bermuda Conference Room on Deck 2

pebkac.jpg

Promenade from Midship

pebkac.jpg

Heading south to St.Thomas, USVI

pebkac.jpg

Planet Ice- Great Show !

pebkac.jpg

Hi Radio-

You seem to have a big fan club here!

I'm looking forward ot reading another one of your reports live and seeing your pictures.

Was the water rough leaving from Cape Liberty? Since I live in New York I would love just once not having to fly somewhere to catch the ship but with my motion sickness problem I am afraid of crossing the Atlantic.

The water was not rough when we left. It got a little heavy this morning, but overall I dont think it bothered many people.

Radio

;) ;)

This may seem like a stupid question- but when they say they are replacing the bedding is it the actual bed and covers or just the covers?

I am assuming it has to be the mattress in addition to the linens because just the linens could be done all at once as the ship is changing over passengers.

Hey Radio.. looking forward to meeting you tomorrow. Can you take a picture of my kids' decorated Promenade cabin window and post it here? It's across from the perfumery.

PS they have sushi on the ship -- in the Island Grill at night. No fresh stuff, just smoked salmon and some rolls, but it's a start!

We're having a great time, the food is MUCH better than Grandeur last year.

BTW, it's really raining heavily tonight!

PS tonight's comedian (Robbie Printz) is great (he was in the Weclome Aboard show last night), really looking forward to the 12:15 adult show. Tomorrow's show is Billy Fellows, who we hated on Grandeur last year. I guess we will skip the show.

PS when is the C&A Gold party? I asked at the purser's desk and I was told Sunday @ 5pm but did not get the invitation yet. I got my M&M invites last night along with a magnetic sticker that I have on my door.

It had better not be Wednesday -- I have my ice tickets then.

MisterBill,

I am not sure I have seen a "live from" thread with two people actually posting from the ship.

I guess if you are going to have rain, you would rather have it at night when it should not spoil too many plans.

Thanks both you and Radio for keeping all of us updated!!

I'm new to these boards and came across your "Live" from the Grandeur from a few weeks back and thought it was great. My wife, two sons and myself leave this Friday on the Grandeur for the 9 day cruise and I can't wait. Since I read your "Live" report I have had a very hard time staying focused on anything work related. Six more days!!!!!

I'm going to read your current "Live" report just to get pumped some more.:)

BTW there seems to be a large group on board who today were wearing bright green t-shirts today where the back said "if you see this man, congratulate him", and the front had who the specific person was "his squirrel" (looked like a daughter, maybe a name he calls her), "his least favorite son-in-law" (hopefully his ONLY son-in-law), etc. Gotta figure out what's up with that.

Thanks for the great live reports and photos!

What is the Ocean Lab presentation and tour?

We will be new to RCCL in February and I need to learn about all the new activities!

Enjoy your cruise!

The Explorer is the only one that has the Ocean Lab. It is a oceanography lab staffed by scientists who are doing actual studies.

Read about it here

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/ourCompany/environment/envOutreach.do;jsessionid=0000bClnhqZEMsDTfr71lZHlZkR:10kohi76p

Sue

This may seem like a stupid question- but when they say they are replacing the bedding is it the actual bed and covers or just the covers?

I am assuming it has to be the mattress in addition to the linens because just the linens could be done all at once as the ship is changing over passengers.

They will be replacing the frames, matresses, linens pillows. I am told it will be complete.

Radio

;) ;)

Hey Radio.. looking forward to meeting you tomorrow. Can you take a picture of my kids' decorated Promenade cabin window and post it here? It's across from the perfumery.

PS they have sushi on the ship -- in the Island Grill at night. No fresh stuff, just smoked salmon and some rolls, but it's a start!

We're having a great time, the food is MUCH better than Grandeur last year.

BTW, it's really raining heavily tonight!

PS tonight's comedian (Robbie Printz) is great (he was in the Weclome Aboard show last night), really looking forward to the 12:15 adult show. Tomorrow's show is Billy Fellows, who we hated on Grandeur last year. I guess we will skip the show.

I will post the photo....See ya this afternoon...

Radio;) ;)

Archived