Almost Doc Dancing, but Pre Cruise Hotel Stay pretty funny

LAFFNVEGAS

I spoke with my TA today and she let me know that our Docs came in for our 4 day Veendam cruise September 24th. I will pick them up tomorrow afternoon after work. OK, here is the funny thing:D

As many of you know prior to our May Ryndam cruise I was upset that we were placed by HAL to stay at the Fairmont in Vancouver and I was originally upset because when we booked it we were to be at the PanPacific. Well, to go back to last year this time I had booked the May Ryndam with precruise stay at the PanPacific and the September Veendam HAL said they would be placing us at the Fairmont. This is what all our papers when booking stated from HAL. I was upset when I received our May Docs but ended up being very happy because we really liked the Fairmont. Well, guess what? My TA says they have us at the PanPacific:D when we were suppose to be at the Fairmont. I am sure we will still be happy, the unknown is not so bad anymore since we now know what it is like at Canada Place:)

Now we just need a cabin assignment, it still says GUAR. We have a S guarantee so not really worried about where since they are all pretty good on the Navigation Deck. But who knows maybe the Upgrade Fairy will visit us since I see that the PH is still available;) :D

So typical! At least this way you'll get to experience both.

The Fairmont is THE premier Canadian hotel chain. As you have seen, the Fairmont Waterfront Centre is a very classy, understated and refined hotel, much more in keeping with the HAL style.

The Pan Pacific, while very nice, is a more modern, plain and "beige" hotel, much more consistent with "Brand X" style.

However, since you will be staying at the Pan Pacific, do enjoy the soaring atrium, the fabulous view of the harbour and mountains, and have dinner or brunch in the Cafe Pacifica or a drink in the Cascades Lounge.

You probably won't be assigned for a while yet, but please let us all know what suite you get. We're hoping you do get upgraded to the penthouse! :)

Thanks so much, we were thinking we would still have dinner that Saturday night at Herons at the Fairmont. Or would you recommend Five Sails at the Pan Pacific?

Actually I am alright with them changing it around, this way we get to see which one we like better. Of course they are both very close to the ship.:D

We've stayed at the Pan Pacific twice - loved it both times. The first time we ate at the Five Sails with some friends sailing the day after we were. At check out I was asked how I liked dining there, all I could say was 'OK' - I couldn't even remember what we'd had to eat (VERY surprising for me :rolleyes: ). The clerk was rather taken back that I wasn't fawning over their 5-star restaurant, but if I can't remember the food even 30 hours later - it wasn't worth the $$$$$. The view I still remember, that was wonderful. We agree with CoconutFish's suggestion about Cafe Pacifica in the lobby.

Well, Mary Ellen probably has it right: although the Five Sails is supposed to be one of the best restaurants in Vancouver, I think it might be that it used to be.

Personally I would go for a drink at the Cascades Lounge in the Pan Pacific and then cross the street to Heron's at the Fairmont. It is perhaps not as formal as the Five Sails and does not have the view, but the food is excellent. Another choice would be Aqua Riva, just across the street, to the east of the Fairmont, on the second floor: good view of any ships docked on the east side of Canada Place, if you arrive early, and the mountains. Lots of very interesting fish dishes, a very eclectic menu.

Whichever you choose, enjoy Vancouver!

I will agree---the food and service at Heron's was impeccable.

But remembering back to breakfast at the Pan Pacific a few years ago, the food and service there was also quite fine. And the view was marvelous. Looking at my ship got the excitement up to a high level.

Either way, Lisa, you can't go wrong. :)

But the Penthouse? On a 4-day cruise? What a waste of an upgrade!

You would barely have found your way around when it would be time to leave. Could you stand it? :eek:

After Lisa and Tom pick up their documents this afternoon, I can see them spliting a bottle of champagne and doing a swim dance in the pool.

OK I gave into the diet except I am having grilled fish and Tom is having a grilled Ribeye but...we did crack open a bottle of Spumanti we had brought home from the Oosterdam last Feb. and had not opened. It sure tastes good:p

We have not started dancing in the pool.... yet:D

Oh yes, in our Documents we are on a 4 day cruise and it says 1 Formal Night, 2 Casual, then it is blank, we are guessing clothing optional:eek: :D

Also because we are staying at the Pan Pacific at Canada Place it says that HAL is providing our transportation to the ship. Would you guess this is via Wheel Chair or just a man to push the elevator button for us:p

I will agree---the food and service at Heron's was impeccable.

But remembering back to breakfast at the Pan Pacific a few years ago, the food and service there was also quite fine. And the view was marvelous. Looking at my ship got the excitement up to a high level.

Either way, Lisa, you can't go wrong. :)

But the Penthouse? On a 4-day cruise? What a waste of an upgrade!

You would barely have found your way around when it would be time to leave. Could you stand it? :eek:

Ruth, We had had Sunday Brunch at Herons and we so very impressed. The service was great. At this time we plan to go back to Herons for dinner. I think we can manage the walk across the street:D

After Lisa and Tom pick up their documents this afternoon, I can see them spliting a bottle of champagne and doing a swim dance in the pool.

KK, We did not go out to the pool but did finish off a bottle of champagne and Tom only had about one glass full and let me have the full bottle. I call that celebrating and in just 6 weeks we will be in Vancouver having more fun:D And if there are no typing errors then I got lucky because after not drinking and dieting for several weeks I feel NO PAIN:p

I definitely love DOC Dancing:cool:

Way to go Lisa! My mom and I stayed at the Pan Pacific prior to our cruise in '99. Even tho today she suffers from brain damage due to a fall, she still remembers our stay there fondly. We had gotten a room on the harbor side and due to the time difference, awoke early enough to see the Veendam as a tiny spot on the horizon. We enjoyed coffee while watching "our ship come in". She was impressed by the tiny warming oven that held our pastries. Also, that the elevator rug had the day of the week on it! It was worth every penny.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the penthouse upgrade for you. Then maybe you'll get spoiled and leave 5187 for the rest of us.:D

22 weeks and counting til the Zuiderdam!

Archived