Going solo on the Paul Gauguin around Tahiti???

Funatabi

I've always wanted to go to Tahiti but have never found anyone interested in going. So, I am thinking of just doing it on my own, taking the 7-day cruise solo in FEB 2007 on the Paul Gauguin from Papeete.

Are there any past Paul Gaugain cruisers, what do you think of this cruise for a solo pax? I love meeting people. I just wonder about this since it is a smaller-capacity, more subdued ship with mainly couples, honeymooners (or so I gather.)

Wondering about what I can expect.

I am a solo traveller and going to Tahiti on a back-to-back Tahitian Princess cruise in January/February. From reading the boards, the cruise passengers in Tahiti seem to be mostly couples going on a honeymoon or celebrating an anniversary. Did you see if there is a roll call for your cruise? I'm not particularly worried about being the only solo on a ship as I usually make friends at dinner that I can hang out with later. Try to get yourself seated at a large table for dinner. What a fabulous trip this will be. :) :) :)

I'm thinking on the same lines, i.e., this Tahiti cruise is a present to myself--for no reason. I just want to go before I get even older. I'm already over 50.

I'm sure that going solo will still be a lot of fun but I have to prepare myself that I won't have a "gang" of friends to hang out with at every meal or excursion. This sometimes adds variety, however, as I meet new people as I go and make the most of it.

I'll also try a roll-call too when I'm officially booked.

Thanks for the input.

• 2 weeks later...

I have wanted to do this cruise too for a long time ... and I also cruise solo; but was not too sure this one would be fun alone (no one to share kayak with, etc. etc.). There was a singles cruise last year on the PG. Also, I read that the ship was "retiring" from Tahiti cruises sometime soon, or in the past already.

How did you get a decent price as a solo? or did you have to dig deep?

I've always wanted to go to Tahiti but have never found anyone interested in going. So, I am thinking of just doing it on my own, taking the 7-day cruise solo in FEB 2007 on the Paul Gauguin from Papeete.

Are there any past Paul Gaugain cruisers, what do you think of this cruise for a solo pax? I love meeting people. I just wonder about this since it is a smaller-capacity, more subdued ship with mainly couples, honeymooners (or so I gather.)

Wondering about what I can expect.

Just a suggestion ...

If you really want to go to Tahiti as a solo, you might want to consider Holland America's annual trip there. They do a 30-day r/t from San Diego which takes you to all the Hawaiian islands and then onto the South Pacific ... Papette, Bora Bora, Moorea, etc.

The trip is a magnet for singles and solos, and we had over 100 of them on our sailing. The cruise director even assigned a member of his staff to put together special singles and solos events on each sea day (and there were loads of them) ... such as a lemonade party in the Lido, afternoon tea as a group one day, a special Pinnacle Grill dinner, and many other things.

I am sure if you asked, the Matri 'd could also seat you with other singles and solos in the dining room as well.

This was a great cruise, and I imagine it would be better suited for singles and solos than one on the Paul Gaugain, since I would imagine with that particular itinerary, you would probably get almost exclusively couples ... many of them honeymooners. That could leave a single out in the cold.

If you can possibly get 30 days off from work (assuming that you are employed outside of the home), you might do yourself a service to look into HAL's voyage. They do it once each year, in the month of January. My voyage was on the Amsterdam last year, but this year they are doing it on the Ryndam. I think it departs on January 22nd this year.

And, I know a lot of people say Holland America is just for old people, but believe me, we had a lot of middle-aged folks on that cruise as well, and I had no problem finding lots of people my own age (I turned 50 on the cruise) and even younger to enjoy activities with.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Funatabi:

I cruised the PG in March 2003 with my husband. We are booked again for November 2007 Tahiti to Fiji cruise. I personally would not have any problem cruising on the PG as a solo pax. When we cruised in 2003 I struck up a conversation with a lady traveling solo in the van on the way from the airport to our pre-cruise hotel. Talked with her several times during our hotel stay and also had breakfast with her one morning. Then when we got on the ship we invited her to join us for dinner the first evening. She told us that she met other solos in the hotel too. Didn't see too much of her after that as the Cruise Director made sure that all of the solo pax got to meet each other on board and she was also invited to join the Captain's table one evening, ate with the cruise director another evening and so on. Yes, this is touted as a honeymoon cruise but on our cruise I saw more longer married couples and families on board then honeymooners. Because the pax load of the ship is only 320 when she is completely full, it's easy to make friends with everybody. This is such a laid back cruise that you will find most of the pax are very friendly and so mellowed out that fitting in will not be a problem. Also, the other poster's suggestion about the dining room is spot on......at the beginning of the cruise it would be wise to ask to be seated at a large table for dining. That way it will give you the opportunity to feel at ease dining with others and not feel like you are stuck on your own. I can't stress enough how Tahiti transforms you and even the grumpiest person mellows out. So therefore I don't think you will be lonely or have any problems making friends and finding someone to hang with. Once bitten by the Tahitian flu you will then have it in your blood and will just have to return again and again. The PG is a terrific cruise and you will have so much fun.

Pat

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the latter input since I last revisited this thread.

Tahiti is a dream in itself but taking a 30 days cruise would be pushing me into heaven--and my boss would be pure hell about it... so it's the PG and 7 days for now. As for my next, next future cruise, I really want to try out HAL, as I hear good things about them and their solo policies/prices.

I'm glad to hear the PG does get solo people so I'll just try my luck and see who's onboard. I'm all booked to go and counting the days.

I've also traveled land solo many times and actually have ended with extremely positive and unexpected experiences along the way. Solo is a trade off between having guaranteed contant companions but finding unexpected twists with fate as to who you meet and what you experience.

My biggest fear is getting bit by the Tahitian Flu--bad--and having to find ways of returning again and again. It's also comforting to know that so many PG people are repeaters... but what am I getting myself into toying with the Tahitian flu?:D

• 6 months later...

I am going solo on this 14 day cruise. Are there any others out there? I booked through ************** with 2 nights added on either end, and am staying 2 nights in LA 5/27. This will be my 4th solo cruise in two years. I read, enjoy the pool, snorkel, and get a lot of room service. I talk to everyone, and have a great time.:) Oregon Skier

Glad I happened on this thread. I am a 55 year old woman who will be traveling to Tahiti in November of 2008 on the Paul Gaugin, I just booked an 11 day cruise today. I have sailed Seabourn the last couple of cruises for many reasons, I love the the smaller ship, fantastic cabins and incredible service, but also because, as a single woman traveler, I am invited to "hosted" dinner tables every night. Looking at other Seabourn itineraries, I decided, after my November 2007 cruise back to the Caribbean, I wanted to go back to Tahiti. I was there for my 40th birthday, also solo!

I'm also a scuba diver, and thought I would combine two favorite things, diving and cruising. I was also a little concerned that I'd be sitting there at dinner with lots of newlyweds around me *smile*...but that's okay. I got a good single supplement on one of the stern balcony cabins, so I'll look forward to it.

If anyone has come back from their solo Tahiti cruise, I'd love to hear about your adventures!

Jane :)

• 5 months later...

I read this thread with interest.

What was your experience on this cruise? Was it positive as a solo cruiser? Or was it too difficult with mainly honeymooners and couples?

Would you recommend it to other solo cruisers?

Cheers

Ging466

ging, that's the only reason I wouldn't book the PG as a solo. My friends just returned from a cruise on the PG and said it was all couples, and mostly younger couples. Since the PG is a smaller ship, I'm not sure I would feel very "happy" on a ship filled with couples. I would stick with sailing HAL or Princess to the South Pacific, unless the PG has a partial charter for a singles group.

• 4 months later...
I read this thread with interest.

What was your experience on this cruise? Was it positive as a solo cruiser? Or was it too difficult with mainly honeymooners and couples?

Would you recommend it to other solo cruisers?

Cheers

Ging466

It was the best cruise I ever had. Being in Figi, Cook Islands and Tahiti for 14 nights was wonderful.

I love snorkeling so did all those trips. I made lots of friends, but I believe because I was traveling with a ***** group is what made the difference.

We all met at LAX airport and stayed 2 nighs in Figi at a great hotel. They had a special tour for us and so I had lots of friends before the cruise. The price ***** gave me for airfare, hotels, etc was about what I would have paid for the cruise alone. I asked them how they could give such a good price and was told they own the PG!

Their private island stops are not to be missed. Another thing is I went in June, after the rainy season.

The flight is long, but I was able to upgrade at the airports to first class for lots less.

Oregonskier

Per the Guidelines we all agreed to follow with our free membership to Cruise Critic:

Cruise Critic has strict guidelines prohibiting blatant advertising, commercial sales and solicitation posts on all of our message boards.

Our Cruise Boards are meant to be a cruiser's exchange of advice and tips where cruisers can talk about their travels -- not a marketplace for advertising and selling services. There are thousands of cruise professionals online and if we didn't insist on a non-solicitation policy the cruise boards would be very quickly overrun with nothing but ads.

Cruise Critic defines advertising as an individual or company's attempt to generate business or other commercial enterprise, either directly or indirectly, by using our Cruise Board. Solicitation includes, but is not limited to, requests to be E-mailed, the posting of phone numbers for your business, and the referring to or posting of one's own Web site address.

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

Basically, the names, web sites, etc. of travel agents/agencies or other cruise-related sites or message boards --- even if "masked" --- are not allowed in Cruise Critic message board posts. Posts asking for the name, site or further information via e-mail, or posts offering same, will be removed as well as any replies to the deleted posts. The same applies to posts promoting non-Cruise Critic group cruise sites.

Kat 110105_emYA42_prv.gif

Archived