Yet ANOTHER Passport Question

Netnurse31

Yes, we all do have passports for our cruise this Friday. My question is whether or not my 17 year old son will have any need for a drivers license type of ID even if he has a passport. He just received his drivers education certificate and wants to trade his junior license in for his senior one on Wednesday. I don't want him to do this if there will be any need for another type of photo ID while cruising next week.

All we have ever needed is our cruise card. When entering the ship the cruise card is put in the machine that reads it and your pictures, which was taken when you first boarded, shows on the screen for the security officer to check if it is you. We have been in North Africa where the Port Authority gave each of us a card to carry in case we were stopped on the streets or had a problem. These were collected when we reboarded the ship. I might carry my drivers license if I think I might cash Travelers Checks. I have been asked for ID when doing this.

We usually carry a copy of our passport info page.

Well, a passport is all you need - worldwide.

I wonder at the wisdom of not taking the passports ashore with you. While you don't need them necessarily to reboard in most ports, you will be in deep trouble if anything happens ashore - miss the ship, get into an accident, need medical care, get arrested - like that.

My passport stays with me all the time unless I am visiting a country that requires I turn it over to authorities. IT never leaves my person!

I am with you, seamama1, I always take my passport with me when I go ashore. I have a money belt that I put around my waist. I put my passprt in it, credit cards and some money. Have never come close to being late to the ship (I have this fear of missing the ship, so make sure am always back early) but want to be prepared for any emergency.

Delores

I am with you, seamama1, I always take my passport with me when I go ashore. :)I have a money belt that I put around my waist. I put my passprt in it, credit cards and some money. Have never come close to being late to the ship (I have this fear of missing the ship,:(so make sure am always back early) but want to be prepared for any emergency.

Delores

Some form of photo ID(license/pp copy) is now being required to get on the pier at many ports. To get on the ship only your cruise card is all that is required.

Here's the reason why. Many ports have increased their security to get on the pier. Those security personnel have no way of looking at the picture associated with your cruise card. Anybody can find a cruise card. Since the cruise lines do not change color an old one looks like a new one thus the need for a photo. I suspect his will happen more and more. They will tell you what the local officials need you to have to return before you leave the ship.

Yes, we all do have passports for our cruise this Friday. My question is whether or not my 17 year old son will have any need for a drivers license type of ID even if he has a passport. He just received his drivers education certificate and wants to trade his junior license in for his senior one on Wednesday. I don't want him to do this if there will be any need for another type of photo ID while cruising next week.

I'm confused... he has his junior license (which I assume has his photo?) and he wants to trade it in for his senior license... does the senior license not have his photo on it?? "I don't want him to do this if there will be any need for another type of photo ID while cruising next week." ???

We are among the minority around here apparently, but we leave our passports in the safe on the ship and take our driver's license as ID to get back to the ship. Not back ON the ship, but at many ports now you must show picture ID to get back to the dock itself.

All we have ever needed is our cruise card. When entering the ship the cruise card is put in the machine that reads it and your pictures, which was taken when you first boarded, shows on the screen for the security officer to check if it is you. We have been in North Africa where the Port Authority gave each of us a card to carry in case we were stopped on the streets or had a problem. These were collected when we reboarded the ship. I might carry my drivers license if I think I might cash Travelers Checks. I have been asked for ID when doing this.

We usually carry a copy of our passport info page.

On our recent cruise you needed a picture ID in addition to the cruise card when we re-boarded to show the port guards in St Thomas. The cruise card was all we needed once we were beyond the security barrier at Havensight. I would feel naked going out without some form of photo id. I want the authorities to know my identity when they find my body.:eek:

His passport will serve as his photo ID so if he trades in his junior drivers permit and the senior license doesn't arrive before you leave there will be no problem. We have been in ports, including Halifax, NS, where the local authorities required us to show a photo ID in addition to our seapass card in order to get to the ship, where only our seapass was needed.

Archived