New United Kingdom Carry On Restrictions

I have a question for those of you have flown from the United Kingdom since the new luggage restrictions. I plan to take a standard sized computer case. The case is about 12 1/2 inches wide if you measures it while on the ground. If you were holding it because the handles would be extended it would be around 14" wide putting it above the 13.7 inch limitation. I see on the web site that the dimensions are supposed to include the handles so I just wanted to know would the measurement be based on the handle not being fully extended?

If anyone who has recently flown from the UK can please let me know I would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Keith

When you pass through a UK airport you now have to place (or more correctly squeeze) your handluggage into a wooden guage that is set to the size of length of 45cm (18in), width of 35cm (14in) and depth of 16cm (6in). If it can't be forced into that gap, they will ask you to check it in, or reduce the size by taking some things out and checking them in. NO liquids or gells whatsoever are being allowwed, so not even toothpase or lipstick.

Last week when I came through Heathrow they were still being strict about the size limits, but would help push you bag to fit the space. It sounds like your laptop bag would be OK though size wise.

I can confirm all that. My soft backpack needed a bit of encouragement to start sliding down into the box, but once the screener was satisfied that it would eventually get all the way to the bottom, he said that it was fine and I could fish it out.

I flew back from Glasgow to Philly 3 days ago. They are serious about the liquids, gels, toothpaste, lipstick. Also be careful about the folks in the duty free shops past security---some were saying that if you bought makeup, liquor, etc, you could take it on the plane. Of course that isn't true if you are flying to the US, but to other countries you can take those items with.

I didn't see anyone being asked to check their hand luggage---for the most part, passengers were arriving in compliance with the guidelines. A laptop case without wheels should make the size restriction. If your handles fold down, you shouldn't have a problem.

We returned from London (had been on the 08/10 Golden Princess) on August 20. We had to pack my purse and my husband's backpack computer bag as they were too large to carry onboard and too small to ship.

We're thinking of taking another cruise through London and need to find smaller carryons. So far the 6" wide limitation is really a problem. Has anyone found a good carry on that meets all of the size limits? We'd rather not use a brief case.

We're thinking of taking another cruise through London and need to find smaller carryons.
How soon would you be doing this? The new size restrictions will not necessarily be permanent. Don't plan any earlier than you need to, otherwise you could end up spending money on a bag that you don't need or use.

We flew out of Gatwick yesterday. I have one of those Healthy Back Bags that I use for a purse, and even though I had a bunch of stuff in it, nobody in security even glanced at it, as far as size went. It got searched every single time we went through any security, because I had prescription nasal spray in there, but size was okay. I have a small Samsonite briefcase with wheels that my husband was bringing on, because it had my laptop (and two paperback books) in it. When we checked in, the security person made my husband force that bag all the way down into the plywood gauge that they use, even though it was obvious that if one wheel went in, the other one would, too. I guess he had it a little bit crooked, because it took three people to get it back out; I almost brought the plywood thingy home with me. But they WERE enforcing that size gauge!

They also have their own rules about what can be brought on. I lost a "compact" of solid makeup (it was almost empty, and I had honestly forgotten it was in there) and a tube of solid lip balm. If I hadn't had a prescription lable put on my nasal spray, I would have lost it, too.

And everybody we talked to, said this wasn't going away anytime soon. I didn't even walk into any of the shops because I didn't have any place to put purchases.

And everybody we talked to, said this wasn't going away anytime soon.
There's mounting pressure on the government, which is dropping big hints that there will be changes. See this story from yesterday, for example, after the conductor at the Last Night publicly lambasted the current restrictions on purely musical grounds.

I went through Heathrow security twice on Friday afternoon, with no problems either time. It did remind me, though, that you get to jump quite a lot of the queue if you're picked to trial the body scanner that scans you underneath your clothes and displays an image of your body to the screener. As I take the view that I'm more likely to shock the screeners than the other way around, I have been known to volunteer for it in order to save time. I don't much care who sees me naked; most people won't want to look. :D

We returned from London (had been on the 08/10 Golden Princess) on August 20. We had to pack my purse and my husband's backpack computer bag as they were too large to carry onboard and too small to ship.

We're thinking of taking another cruise through London and need to find smaller carryons. So far the 6" wide limitation is really a problem. Has anyone found a good carry on that meets all of the size limits? We'd rather not use a brief case.

If the restrictions are still in place when you are due to fly consider a laptop rucksack (or a rucksack of a similar size) - no need to have a laptop in them and they have the added benefit of being slightly padded. We've been using smallish rucksacks/backpacks for several years now as carry on luggage - it does mean that you have both arms free which can be helpful at times.

This comes from the BBC's website

"Aircraft hand baggage restrictions imposed after an alleged terrorist plot to attack airliners are likely to be eased next week, the BBC has learned. Larger bags will be allowed on board, and passengers will be able to take some liquids through security from Tuesday, ministers are set to say.

The government's transport security division is holding talks with the aviation industry on Monday.

The new measures should take effect next weekend."

The full story can be had via this link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/5343018.stm

An announcement was made today that restrictions will be eased a bit on Friday 22 September:-

From Friday 22 September:

All passengers starting their journey at a UK airport and those transferring from international flights at a UK airport will be required to meet the following requirements:

Cabin Baggage

ONE item only of cabin baggage will be permitted through the airport security search point, the dimensions of this item must not exceed: a maximum length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.). Other bags, such as handbags, may be carried within the single item of cabin baggage. All items carried by passengers will be x-ray screened.

Mobility aids

No change. Pushchairs, walking aids and wheelchairs are permitted but will be screened.

Liquids

No change. Restrictions remain in force, meaning that no liquids of any type are permitted through the airport security search point, other than the following items:

• Essential medicines in liquid form sufficient and essential for the flight (e.g. diabetic kit), as long as it is verified as authentic. Medicines in solid form continue to be permitted.
  • Baby milk and liquid baby food (the contents of each bottle or jar must be tasted by the accompanying passenger).

To help their progress through search points, passengers are advised not to include items capable of containing liquids (e.g. bottles, flasks, tubes, cans, plastic containers etc.) in their cabin baggage.

NOTE: The definition of liquids includes gels, pastes, lotions, liquid/solid mixtures and the contents of pressurised containers, e.g. toothpaste, hair gel, drinks, soups, syrups, perfume, deodorant, shaving foam, aerosols, etc.

Large electrical items / Laptops

No change. Laptops and other large electrical items (e.g. a large hairdryer) will still have to be removed from cabin baggage and screened separately. (Note: a laptop bag will be regarded as your one item that is allowed in the cabin).

In addition to the above, passengers boarding flights to the USA and the items they are carrying, including those acquired after the airport security search point, will continue to be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

Musical instruments

Musical instruments which do not fit in the permitted cabin baggage size (maximum length of 56 cm, width of 45 cm and depth of 25 cm (including wheels, handles, side pockets etc.)) will be allowed as a second item of cabin baggage, and will need to be screened. Larger instruments (e.g. cellos) are also permitted into the cabin following screening. However, passengers should check with their airlines if special arrangements (e.g. purchasing an extra seat) for these large instruments need to be made.

Oversized baggage

All other items of oversized luggage will be required to be placed in the aircraft hold.

Flights to the US

Passengers boarding flights to the USA and items they are carrying, including those acquired after the central screening point, will be subjected to secondary search at the gate. Any liquids discovered will be removed from the passenger.

We returned from our trip the other day and the bags that we took with us to carry on the plane worked well.

I was very impressed with the security check at the gate. It was very thorough.

I was amazed at how many people had not followed the instructions. At the initial security check in point many passenger's could not enter as their carry on bags exceeded the size that had been published and still many passenger's had liquids in their bags that they had to dispose of.

Keith

I have a very small purse. If I stuck it my carry-on could I take it out when I got on the plane? Sorry it that is a dumb question.:confused:

No question is dumb. It's a good question. Yes, you could have a purse in your carry on and take it out on the plane.

Keith

So happy to hear that the carry on luggage restrictions have been revised. The 56 cm X 45 cm X 25 cm (22.04" X 17.7" X 9.8") allows many more bags that the old restrictions. The depth was really a killer when it was only 6". In fact two of our regular bags now work! :) Hopefully they won't lower the limits before our next cruise in May 2007 as we plan to do another stopover in London.

• 2 weeks later...

A further relaxation has been announced today.

Passengers on flights from the UK to the US can now bring on board liquids that they buy after the security checkpoint. This brings US-bound flights into line with flights to other destinations.

You still cannot take liquids through the security checkpoint.

And there is an exception: NW flights from Gatwick, on which liquids are still not allowed.

Archived