Gifts for cabin staff

USNDiver

I see by reading some of these threads that sometimes small gifts are given to the cabin staff for superior service (in addition to gratuities.) I like the idea of adding a little "something" to the tip to recognize their efforts. Has anyone done this before and, if so, what did you give?

Thanks,

Dave

they really just want a good tip or money.. Sometimes phone cards don't work to where they really want to call. Generally what they do appreciate if you have developed a special friendship is something from your home area like a t-shirt, key chain, etc. If you are going to give a phone card make sure they are International Phone cards.

We take some "unisex" gifts, some speciality sweets and shortbread that are made near here and some little notebooks that have pictures on the cover from Edinburgh. - I also take a couple of bars of heather soap as we always have at least one lady looking after us in the cabin, restaurant or in a bar. These are always light weight items, but the smiles of appreciation are huge and they set the tone for the holiday. By the way, these little ggifts at the start of the holiday NEVER replace any element of the tips!

This idea of gifts comes up every so often and the one thing people tend to forget, no matter how thoughtful or heartfelt your gift might be, you must realize that giving gifts might not be the best idea. These hardworking staff live in very tight quarters and just don't have the space for gifts. They are on board for 6 to 8 months at a time and if every week even three or four of their passengers give them something, it all adds up over the weeks and can become cumbersome, if not impossible. Of course they're going to be greatful if you hand them something, what else can they be? But, in my very humble opinion, cash, no matter how anyone feels about it, is the best way to say thank you. Perhaps giving an extra tip in a card or separate envelope would be an idea. Also, many of those phone cards you might give, don't work in the phones they are required to use, so that could be a waste.

Another idea is to write Celebrity Corporate Offices a letter telling them about any special services a staff member did. On one of our recent cruises, our butler did such a spectacular job, we wrote everyone we could and praised him. On our next cruise, he was out butler again and was so proud to tell us that because of what we'd written, he got promoted to head butler on the Summit. That kind of thing goes a long way for any crew member.

When we have had exemplary service we have always added some additional cash to the envelope. We usually charge our tips to our shipboard account so that if our Cabin Steward or Waiter has done something really special, he or she will find the voucher and something extra in the envelope.

Seems the simplest way to do it for me.

Thanks very much for the input. I didn't mean to suggest that a gift was meant to replace tips ( a larger tip and letter to the company for great service would be a given.) I just thought something on a personal level would be appropriate.

Thanks again,

Dave

I used to give phone cards but after reading here that they often don't work stopped. One cruise I took special candy from a shop in Jacksonville. My waiter told me the next day he had already eaten all of it. So maybe a special edible treat is a good idea. Of course, when you have to fly that becomes another problem. The best bet, I guess, is extra cash. That always works.

We generally will give extra cash, it's the right size and color for everyone.

We cruised over Christmas one year and gave the staff their tips in Christmas cards, instead of the plain envelopes. While I realize some of the staff may not celebrate the Holiday, I made sure the cards made no religious connection. I was stunned how these were received, some of them had tears in their eyes while thanking us.

We'll do the same this Christmas :)

On our first cruise (DCL) I did as everyone stated on another forum and gave out phone and store cards. We received many thanks yous. However, the one thing that was the hit was the small basket of Maine goodies I had actually made to give to a fellow cruiser that I met through the forums. We never did connect on the cruise and I did not want to really travel with the basket to Disney World. So on our last night, I gave it our cabin steward with a note of thanks. He was so excited. He hugged all of us. As we were leaving the next morning. We handed us a small bag and thanked us again. Inside the bag was a small note of thanks and some Turkish candy (from his country) for us!! So, long story, short, I now make up about 6 baskets and hand them out (in addition to the gratuities). They have always been a hit.

I always bring candy onboard. I also carry those little plastic bags to put them in and ribbon to tie. I agree cash is the best gift so they can get something for themselves.

In Alaska, an internet cafe card is good in 3-4 cities and I have given that out, especially if the ship repeats the itinerary for the season.

To my favorite waiter, I have brought him beer from his home country in Europe. I have also brought a very special bottle of wine (not on the ship's wine list) for someone who has always been nice to us and once brought some Russian tea cookies for someone else. Needless to say, my luggage is full of gifts.

I just want them to know that I appreciate their sacrafice and hard work in making my vacations so special.

Once I even shopped for my stewardess (Victoria's Secret) and brought back what she wanted on a subsequent visit. Was she ever happy!

certainly it is my experience a small edible gift is very apprecaited. The crew get fed up with what they can buy on board and in the ports. Another thing I have often bought an additional "edible" item in port midcruise and passed it to some one from the crew. Midcruise is always a surprise time. I have never had anything but HUGE smiles - often far bigger smiles than very generous additional tips

Last Feb. we were cruising over Valentines day and I took bags and candy to make gifts for special staff on board. I included the customer service desk, waiters, room attendents, even had one sent to the captain. All day, as I saw them, they called me "the candy lady". It gives me such pleasure to see the smiles and hugs from someone when you do so little for them. At Christmas, I took Elves hats and stockings to fill with goodies. We will do the same this year when we sail over Christmas and New Years.

we always gets smiles by gifting bags of 'belly flops'. we live near the jelly belly factory and these are the bags of the beans that 'do not meat jelly belly's exacting appearance standards'-they are 3 pound bags with all kinds of different beans in them. we've been approached by other crew members after gifting folks with them to say they had been shared and how much they were enjoyed.

i've never thought of it as a gift, but ever since i found out from some crew members how 'valued' tabloid magazines are and how they are passed around for months i've always packed whatever recent copies of the national enquirer and star i have around to pass on (on disney the kid's room staff were thrilled to have what they called 'the Realy Important news from home').

we always tip well for good service and i figure a food item ('treat')they don't have access to or would cost them on board/in the ports is a nice extra thank-you (and apparantly there are some candy bars they can't buy in the ports and crave-i've known people who have figured the popular ones out and taken those big costco packages of them on to gift).

If I were a crew member, I would prefer money, money and more money. If it became a habit that pax gave "little presents", I would end up with a pile with nowhere to store it and an expencive transfer of the goods to get it to my home address. I do see the point in bringing consumable presents (phonecards, candy, etc...) but then again, why just give them the money?

i do it for the same reason i usualy get a small gift to go with a monetary or gift card gift to friends or family-it's nice to have a little surprise in addition to what your want or need.

also my kids like to show their appreciation and the tipping is'nt something they'de understand at their ages, so some little 'goodie' they can give the crew lets them show their appreciation.

When we have had exemplary service we have always added some additional cash to the envelope. We usually charge our tips to our shipboard account so that if our Cabin Steward or Waiter has done something really special, he or she will find the voucher and something extra in the envelope.

Seems the simplest way to do it for me.

But Ed.. You told me you offer those free physicals....

To the ladies who keep up your room. ;)

Another idea is to write Celebrity Corporate Offices a letter telling them about any special services a staff member did. On one of our recent cruises, our butler did such a spectacular job, we wrote everyone we could and praised him. On our next cruise, he was out butler again and was so proud to tell us that because of what we'd written, he got promoted to head butler on the Summit. That kind of thing goes a long way for any crew member.

I wholeheartedly agree - it's not unusual for staff to go for months without a single day off; however, a letter of praise written by a satisfied customer earns them a day off and/or promotion - which is as much valued as the green, to be sure!

We brought our favorite waiter on Zenith cookies and candy from HIS home country. Things he could not find in port and he was thrilled. He enjoyed them while on board and didn't have the problem of carrying anything home in a suitcase. Of course he also got a generous tip and a follow-up letter of commendation written to Celebrity.

we gave our steward a bottle of champaign that we won on ship, and he assured us it would be enjoyed, and did the same with a bottle of wine on another cruise. we gave our waiter a 2 dollar bill and a sacagawea gold colored dollar and he said he had worked for RCCL for nine years and had collected coins from all over the world and seemed very pleased. he had us autograph and date the bill. we came to know a photographer from eastern europe fairly well, and when we gave her a birthday card with a gold coin, it seemed appreciated. i think the right gift at the right time elicits many good feelings. just like home.

gary

Archived