Walkie Talkies

HoneyGV

I forgot. Tell me again which line carries the whales and banana pancakes. Thank you.:)

That would be Celebrity or X that carried the whale (unfortunately already expired) into Seward, AK

As far as the banana pancakes, you'll only find them being carried in the Carib. by locals (but they will climb a tree for you for a price). Has something to do with the climate!;)

In most horror movies the monster comes from the sea. In this case, the monster is going to sea. Cell phones and walkie talkies at sea. I just do not understand the need for instant verbal gratifaction for every need that comes into someones head.

This entire thread defies the most basic tenent of cruising, to just relax. So what if you miss the whale on the port side, or the bannana pancake in the lido? Enjoy the moment instead of rushing around as if we are in a New York subway with a hull.

I really hope that HAL puts some sort of restriction on the use of these things or they can count me out.

Unfortunately you are going to see more & more cell phone use on Cruise Lines..

And I too hope that there are some restrictions as to where & when they can be used...

Betty

P.S. Oh yeah, I'm a wildlife lover so please call me when you see the whales... And I really enjoy Banana, Blueberry, Mango or Apple Pancakes (Very thin like crepes)...Please call me if they have them in the Lido! ;)

I tremble in horror struck worry that now people can reach me when I am supposed to be incommunicado at sea! The pity of it all. No,no,no,no,no; we mustn't let this happen to our serene days on board. Before we know it Copper10-8 will be listening to police bands. Someone will overhear, panic and think the crime they are hearing about is on the ship. Next thing you know, widespread panic at sea. This is not a good idea. . .

This entire thread defies the most basic tenent of cruising, to just relax. So what if you miss the whale on the port side, or the bannana pancake in the lido? Enjoy the moment instead of rushing around as if we are in a New York subway with a hull.

I hear you, OceanLiner ... and totally agree with regard to Cell Phones. I have NO interest in carrying on cell-phone conversations while at sea. And, in my case, the use of a walkie talkie would be to aid in relaxation. Rather than wandering the ship trying to find my cabin mate, I can just page him and ask him where he is. Or visa versa. No need to wander around, looking for him, and missing him everywhere I go because he's wandering around opposite me, looking for me. And ... if you question WHY I'm looking for him, or he's looking for me ... well ... we just are; it would add to anxiety to NOT know where he is. :)

Don't worry ... you won't even know I've got one -- unless you're being so nosey that you DESERVE to find out. :D

I tremble in horror struck worry that now people can reach me when I am supposed to be incommunicado at sea! The pity of it all. No,no,no,no,no; we mustn't let this happen to our serene days on board. Before we know it Copper10-8 will be listening to police bands. Someone will overhear, panic and think the crime they are hearing about is on the ship. Next thing you know, widespread panic at sea. This is not a good idea. . .

Don't hold your breath on that one! Kamu gila!;)

Speaking of cell phones at sea. I have read that the cruise lines that are making it available on their ships also have some strict rules in place so that the useage of them ins't allowed in certain areas on the ship and maybe during certain activintes and times of the day. My mom & I just use our radios during the day and especially during sea days. We are never the only ones and there are always some using them at times we don't.

My mom uses her cell frequently when making long distance calls but spends pretty much the rest of the time turned off. Mine is also off most of the time. I do carry it while at work but leave it off despite the fact that I see co workers with theirs on and using them. My supervisor chewed me out once when I was using mine to keep the phones there open and trying to check on my mom at home to see if she had made it back from Orlando during some severe weather. This is one of only a couple of times I have ever used it from work. My supervisor is BIPOLAR so is very moody. If one of her kids were out in the same situation she would probably do the same thing. But when anyone else does it, well that's a different story.

There is a time and place for people to use a cell phone and there are a lot that have no consideration when using them. Aren't we on a cruise for a vacation to get away from it all? I know people have said when we are cruising that they don't even want to get on a computer to check email when I mention something about that I do some email myself.

My mom's pet peeve is people that have to use thier phones while grocery shopping. Problem is people aren't watching what they are doing and especially with their carts. She frequently has a problem and really lets the other person have it because of their careless actions.

47 cruises on HAL at the age of 41

504 days at sea on 11 different DAM SHIPS

500 day gold medallion holder

9/06 Trans Canal - Westerdam

12/06 Christmas & New Years - Westerdam

if Holland America doesn't go there WE DON'T GO!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

It's sad how a perfectly good tool can acquire such a terrible and vitriolic reputation, not because there's anything at all wrong with the tool, but because so many clueless unthinking people use it so poorly and inconsiderately...

I like cruises for a few reasons, one being that it's a chance to get away from all the things I normally have to deal with day in and day out. These things include searching endlessly for kids that've wandered off and not made it back, having to keep track of specific time schedules that dilute my attempts to relax and impulses to wander at will, etc. Cruising with a family, the FRS radio (or something equivalent) seems an inherently necessary tool for achieving that relaxing vacation, at least for me. And I know I'm not silly enough to scream into the radio or conduct extended conversations over it, especially when amongst others that might not be terribly interested in whatever I'm squawking about. I just want something to allow for quick check-ins and easier spontaneous meetings and the like, so that I can relax and not worry about any of that stuff.

The above is my personal opinion only, my opinions are not necessarily anyone else's, your mileage may vary, blah blah blah.

Revneal, BTW, said this all very well already, so I won't dwell too much on this. :)

What I am particularly interested in, and was hoping to find, was suggestions on what brands and models of FRS radios to use on today's cruiseships. I've only been on two cruises so far, and we brought FRSs with us both times. The first was about four years ago, my kids were seven and ten and eager to explore, and a simple set of FRS radios served as a perfect bridge to allow us to relax and not worry so much about where the kids were or planning our meeting times, although there were times when the radios just didn't seem to connect well. The second was about a year ago, and we bought some newer FRSs with purportedly longer ranges, but these were rather frustrating, had lousy sound quality, didn't reach halfway across the ship, and sometimes just didn't seem to be able to connect to anything. Now that we're coming up on our third cruise in about three months, I'd like to get a new set that we can be happier with, that does not require hollering into the unit or an endless series of "WHAT?"s to get anything across, something with enough channels to be able to avoid tapping into everyone else's "WHAT?"s, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations along those lines?

Thanks.

It's sad how a perfectly good tool can acquire such a terrible and vitriolic reputation, not because there's anything at all wrong with the tool, but because so many clueless unthinking people use it so poorly and inconsiderately...

I like cruises for a few reasons, one being that it's a chance to get away from all the things I normally have to deal with day in and day out. These things include searching endlessly for kids that've wandered off and not made it back, having to keep track of specific time schedules that dilute my attempts to relax and impulses to wander at will, etc. Cruising with a family, the FRS radio (or something equivalent) seems an inherently necessary tool for achieving that relaxing vacation, at least for me. And I know I'm not silly enough to scream into the radio or conduct extended conversations over it, especially when amongst others that might not be terribly interested in whatever I'm squawking about. I just want something to allow for quick check-ins and easier spontaneous meetings and the like, so that I can relax and not worry about any of that stuff.

The above is my personal opinion only, my opinions are not necessarily anyone else's, your mileage may vary, blah blah blah.

Revneal, BTW, said this all very well already, so I won't dwell too much on this. :)

What I am particularly interested in, and was hoping to find, was suggestions on what brands and models of FRS radios to use on today's cruiseships. I've only been on two cruises so far, and we brought FRSs with us both times. The first was about four years ago, my kids were seven and ten and eager to explore, and a simple set of FRS radios served as a perfect bridge to allow us to relax and not worry so much about where the kids were or planning our meeting times, although there were times when the radios just didn't seem to connect well. The second was about a year ago, and we bought some newer FRSs with purportedly longer ranges, but these were rather frustrating, had lousy sound quality, didn't reach halfway across the ship, and sometimes just didn't seem to be able to connect to anything. Now that we're coming up on our third cruise in about three months, I'd like to get a new set that we can be happier with, that does not require hollering into the unit or an endless series of "WHAT?"s to get anything across, something with enough channels to be able to avoid tapping into everyone else's "WHAT?"s, etc.

Does anyone have any recommendations along those lines?

Thanks.

The ships are made of plate steel and not many if any radio waves will get through .. similar to a tunnel under water.. EG: Lincoln Tunnel going from NJ to Manhattan Borough, NYC, NY they had to install a copper wire like a dipole so the radio waves could modulate through and you had reception...

Now with the news I posted concerning HAL and other Ship Lines Cellular Phones will be able to be used aboard and much less coast than the ole Ship to Shore.. we had to use Radio Telephones years ago even in our car.. Yes an Amature (HAM) Radio License was/is required on most frequencies..

Aboard Ships Ocean or Air higher wattage units would/may interfere with the sonar , radios, satellite... DOPPLER etc....

Having the basic Ear Bud and Mouth piece is so very courteous to all around..

The Cellular allowed phones will be a great benefit to all the guests aboard and so much less to use to call than the previous methods..

Rev. Dr. Neal was very correct too. His vibrating alert is in a few models of Walkie Talkies.. a nice term coined by American GI's in WWII Europe ... that way nobody hears or feels it but you with an incoming....

I do think on the Left Coast there is the first HAL ship which is equipped with the new cellular available technology aboard...

Awwwrighty then HoneyGV:eek:

Here's some codes for your walkie talkie use;) :

Ankle biter... Young Child

Back... Over(Back to you)

Back at ya... Answering

Big ten-four... Yes

Bleed over... Interference from another channel

Blowing my windows out... Strong signal

Catch a few Z's... Sleep

Catch you on the flip-flop... Speak to you on the return trip

Come back... Answer back

Come on... Answer back

Do you copy?... Can you here me?

Eighty eights... Love and kisses

Five and nine... Good strong signal

For sure... Definitely

Four on that... Yes

Give me a shout... Answer back

Handset... Walkie talkie

Hit the hay... Sleep

Little woman... Wife

Motor mouth... Walkie talkie user who talks too much

Negatory... No

One-eyed monster... Television

Ratchet jaw...Walkie talkie user who talks too much

Roger that... Yes

Rug Rats... Kids

Seat cover... Attractive woman

Ten Four... Yes,Ok,Roger etc.

Wall to wall and treetop tall... Good strong signal

You got a copy on me... Can you here me

ZZZZ's... Sleep time

Now John, how could you possibly forget that classic "Kojak with a Kodak" (refering to the ship's photographers in this case) :D

Archived