Millennium September 2007 - Is There Something We Don't Know?

The Londoners

Hi, maybe I'm worrying for nothing (not for the first time) - but we're booked on Millennium Venice - Barcelona 23rd September 2007 and I posted a message on the appropriate roll call page over a week ago - I didn't think it was premature as there are posts for later cruises - however, it seems every sailing but ours has attracted responses - is there something that, as very inexperienced cruisers we don't know making this particular sailing unpopular? My parents were looking at similar itineraries/dates on RCCL Navigator and some categories had already sold out (although there are some good offers around which may explain it!)

If anyone out there has any advice, it would be very gratefully received!

Thanks so much!

:D

Century 15th September 2006 : Mediterranean

Millennium 23rd September 2007 : Mediterranean

Thanks Don - I guess I'm being too impatient - my only defence is that I'm so excited! Also, this year we had (at great expense) pre-booked several trips before discovering this wonderful site, where we would have had the opportunity to get together with other members and made arrangements with them - a lesson learned!

with very best wishes

Lesley

Londoners ~ there is already another Roll Call started with several people posting for your cruise. I think you may have just missed it. Here's a link to it. http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=334171

This far out, you'll have a handful participating and as the months go on, it will pick up. Check out the thread above and I wish you happy planning and a fantatic cruise! Venice is one of my very favorite cities we've ever been to, righ up there with London !!!!

ENJOY

Hi Anne - thanks so much for that - I'm embarrassed that I missed the thread - will go there now (and arrange an eyesight test too! - I did check with Celebirty to see if anyone had registered for the Connections Party - but not as yet (I'm waiting for our booking number, so haven't done so either, but will asap) - I've never been to Venice, but DH has - schmaltzy as it may be, I've extracted a promise of a gondola ride - I'm always amazed that London is so popular - perhaps having lived here all my life I take too much for granted- I was in New York last year - now that really is one amazing and wonderful city - can't wait to return!

With very best wishes and thanks again,

Lesley

Hi Anne - thanks so much for that - I'm embarrassed that I missed the thread - will go there now (and arrange an eyesight test too! - I did check with Celebirty to see if anyone had registered for the Connections Party - but not as yet (I'm waiting for our booking number, so haven't done so either, but will asap) - I've never been to Venice, but DH has - schmaltzy as it may be, I've extracted a promise of a gondola ride - I'm always amazed that London is so popular - perhaps having lived here all my life I take too much for granted- I was in New York last year - now that really is one amazing and wonderful city - can't wait to return!

With very best wishes and thanks again,

Lesley

London is AMAZING!!! My jaw just dropped the first time I saw Big Ben, etc. We're going back for our second short trip before our Millie cruise next April.

We are originally from the SF Bay Area in California, and we feel the same way about people getting so excited about coming to SF or Los Angeles....:D

London is AMAZING!!! My jaw just dropped the first time I saw Big Ben, etc. We're going back for our second short trip before our Millie cruise next April.

We are originally from the SF Bay Area in California, and we feel the same way about people getting so excited about coming to SF or Los Angeles....:D

Hi Peggy - I'm pleased you love London so much - if you'd like to swap, just say! We would love to go on a cruise incorporating stops in America, and were looking at a Celebrity Alaska itinerary starting in Vancouver and ending in San Francisco - it sounded fantastic,but was a little out of our budget for next year, unfortunately.

Enjoy London - and I hope we get the chance to sample SF (or indeed anywhere in California) some day!

With very best wishes, Lesley

Hi Peggy - I'm pleased you love London so much - if you'd like to swap, just say! We would love to go on a cruise incorporating stops in America, and were looking at a Celebrity Alaska itinerary starting in Vancouver and ending in San Francisco - it sounded fantastic,but was a little out of our budget for next year, unfortunately.

Enjoy London - and I hope we get the chance to sample SF (or indeed anywhere in California) some day!

Well, be sure to email pcurri at that yahoo place if you ever have any California questions. Been here since Great-great-grandpa came across the Oregon-California trail in 1852!!!!

We were in London last October, so the crowds weren't too bad. We went to the Tower of London and I got on that little people mover thingy around the Crown Jewels, and went around for THREE trips. DH just found a stool and sat for the duration. Absolutely amazing jewels!! Queen Victoria's teeny little crown was my favorite!

Well, be sure to email pcurri at that yahoo place if you ever have any California questions. Been here since Great-great-grandpa came across the Oregon-California trail in 1852!!!!

We were in London last October, so the crowds weren't too bad. We went to the Tower of London and I got on that little people mover thingy around the Crown Jewels, and went around for THREE trips. DH just found a stool and sat for the duration. Absolutely amazing jewels!! Queen Victoria's teeny little crown was my favorite!

Thanks Peggy - same here re. London - will be pleased to help if we can our email is lesleyandphil at america on line! You have far better knowledge of the Crown Jewels than I do - last time I saw them I was at school (a LONG time ago!) - I have to confess to preferring shopping in Central London to culture, but will be a typical tourist this year in Florence and Rome - we're especially seeking ot the Jewish quarters - will be even more amazing in Florence next year as some of our ancestors were bron there (also Livorno, but not enough documentation to retrace their tracks) - we're also hoping to take in itineraries in future including Seville, Amsterdam and Lisbon, all places where we have traced ancestors back as far as 1651 - although the family has been in London for 350 years now.

With very best wishes,

Lesley

Lesley ~ don't be embarrassed. It's often hard to find a specific roll call. They all tend to look alike ;) .

Venice is pretty romantic and a gondola ride is a must. I loved just walking the streets and the alleys taking photos of window boxes filled with flowers and boats along the canals. Hope to get back for an extended visit sometime.

I know what you mean about taking your hometown for granted. I think we all do that. I love visiting all the big cities - London, New York, San Francisco (San Fran is also one of my all time favorites). Great food, great people, great sights to see. I hope you enjoy Venice as much as we did. Ai Leoncini is a wonderful little trattoria just off St. Mark's Plaza. Stop in if you get a chance. YUM!!!!

Happy Planning!

Lesley,

If you're doing the same itinerary as we did last year, don't miss the Sephardic synagogue in Dubrovnik or the old Jewish quarter and synagogue in Barcelona. Also the first Jewish Ghetto in Venice. We certainly visited all of the magnificent churches in many of the ports, but made sure that we got to see our heritage as well...even asked our driver to stop at the only synagogue in Athens. If you want details, please email me.

Lesley,

If you're doing the same itinerary as we did last year, don't miss the Sephardic synagogue in Dubrovnik or the old Jewish quarter and synagogue in Barcelona. Also the first Jewish Ghetto in Venice. We certainly visited all of the magnificent churches in many of the ports, but made sure that we got to see our heritage as well...even asked our driver to stop at the only synagogue in Athens. If you want details, please email me.

Hi Sheila - that sounds amazing - DH was researching his (sephardi) family tree and by chance found out that not only am I also sephardi through my dad's line, but DH and I are 5th cousins!

Would love more details please - hadn't even thought of finding Jewish culture in Dubrovnik or Athens (although we have done so in Corfu, Rhodes and Thessaloniki).

I think we will stop over in Barcelona for a night - we're sailing to and from Barcelona this year on Century, but being first timers didn't think to arrange an overnight stay, and are likely to see very little, which is a great pity - we'll make up for it next year.

with very best wishes from London,

Lesley,

Email me - see bottom of my signature box below. We can continue this topic offline...lots of good info from our Med cruise. Sorry you're not staying longer in Barcelona. We loved it so much that we went back on our way to and from Majorca this past March...8 days total including our 2 nights post cruise last October

Thanks Peggy - same here re. London - will be pleased to help if we can our email is lesleyandphil at america on line! You have far better knowledge of the Crown Jewels than I do - last time I saw them I was at school (a LONG time ago!) - I have to confess to preferring shopping in Central London to culture, but will be a typical tourist this year in Florence and Rome - we're especially seeking ot the Jewish quarters - will be even more amazing in Florence next year as some of our ancestors were bron there (also Livorno, but not enough documentation to retrace their tracks) - we're also hoping to take in itineraries in future including Seville, Amsterdam and Lisbon, all places where we have traced ancestors back as far as 1651 - although the family has been in London for 350 years now.

With very best wishes,

Lesley

Amazing to be able to trace your ancestors back that far in one place! That's what I love about Europe: it's OLD!! :D I might have a few questions for you before next Spring and our stopover in London. We also have 5 days after the cruise in the Coventry area. Bye for now, since we're off topic for this roll call thread.

I loved your city also, have been there twice. My daughter spent 6 months there studying and we went over a couple of months after she started school. It was great having a built in tour guide. I am a history nut so your city was right up my alley. My daughter did a lot of genology research while there and actually found a church where numerous members of my family were married and buried. She traced someone in our family directly back to the 1500s.

Put us down for loving London too. There is nothing quite like the English breakfast!!! Some roll calls just don't attract the same interest. Ours for the inaugural trip on the Mercury to NZ, Nov 2007 has a poor showing compared to the return voyage in Mar 2008. Go figure! However there is still lots of time..........

As this is now off topic I'll be very brief - just to say I'm delighted that LOondon holds such an a attraction, however, if anyone would like to do a 'life swap', we'd decamp to the USA in a heartbeat!

Happy cruising to you all, if you should be in London, I hope your trip meets expectations - let me know if I can be of any help!

With very best wishes,

Lesley (and DH Phil!)

As this is now off topic I'll be very brief - just to say I'm delighted that London holds such an a attraction, however, if anyone would like to do a 'life swap', we'd decamp to the USA in a heartbeat!

We Yanks tend to forget (or take for granted) what we have. It's too easy to listen to the news and begin believing that Americans are beset by problems, that the risks outweigh the benefits. Every two or three generations someone like Roosevelt (either one) or Reagan comes along to remind us of what is right about this nation. Otherwise, it takes citizens of other countries to remind us of how privileged we are to live here and be a part of it.

Thank you for the reminder.

We Yanks tend to forget (or take for granted) what we have. It's too easy to listen to the news and begin believing that Americans are beset by problems, that the risks outweigh the benefits. Every two or three generations someone like Roosevelt (either one) or Reagan comes along to remind us of what is right about this nation. Otherwise, it takes citizens of other countries to remind us of how privileged we are to live here and be a part of it.

Thank you for the reminder.

Hi Marlee and Rich - and all you rfellow countrymen - you have much to be proud of! It's no coincidence that we chose to book with an american cruise line - we hope to meet up with many of you on our trips!

with very best wishes,

Lesley and Phil

Century 15th September 2006 (and just upgraded to a balcony - so excited!!)

Millennium 23rd September 2007

Archived