What should you tip for?

marinearchit

This is my first cruise. We are going on the Caribbean Princess over Thanksgiving. I was just wondering what you should tip for, and what you shouldn't. I know you tip the waiters, and the stewards. Do I have to tip somebody every time they do something? I was just wondering.

A tip to the person who gets your luggage to the ship to be loaded expects a tip.

Your tips to the Wait Staff and your Room Steward will automatically be added to your shipboard account in the amount of $10.00 pp per day. A 15 % tip is added to all bar bills.

Some people like the service so much they choose to tip a bit extra to the Waiter, Asst Waiter and sometimes to the Head Waiter and/or Maitre' De at the end of the cruise. This is not necessary unless you feel you want to do it.

If you use room service a tip to the person that brings it to your room at the time of service is appropriate.

Tips to Tour Guides and usually the Bus Driver are usually expected at the end of the tour. There is a lot of discussion about this as far as amount and I usually tip $1.00 pp for a 1/2 day tour and $2.00 pp for a full day tour. I tip a bit less to the Bus Driver.

Don't be too concerned and just tip as you feel necessary. It's an easy process and you'll know the right time and the right amount.

Have Fun!

You can also take off the tips that are automatic when you board and pay them in cash at the end of the cruise. I do this the last night. I like to hand deliver it to them in an envelope.

I thought the specialty restaurants fee included the tip...but I'm sure some expert would know best. The only specialty one we went to was on Disney..they only charged 5.00 pp...so we def. tipped them.

You can also take off the tips that are automatic when you board and pay them in cash at the end of the cruise. I do this the last night. I like to hand deliver it to them in an envelope.

did you realize that when you do this, the recipient(s) of your envelope(s) are not allowed to keep the cash but must hand it over to the tip pool. If they do not do this they will lose their jobs. They can only keep the cash IF you do not remove the auto-tips.

In reality, you've "stiffed" the people you wanted to reward. If you take off the auto-tips, they MUST turn in the hand-delivered tips into the pool or else risk being fired and sent home. Unless they hate their job, they're not about to risk that.

The auto-tipping covers all tips to the people who wait on or serve you every day, i.e., your cabin steward, waiters, table captain, Maitre D, etc. whether you eat in the dining rooms, specialty restaurants or buffet. There are many people who help make your dining experience better, particularly in the buffet, who are included. Most people who remove the auto-tips completely forget that waiters clean the tables, will get you anything you want if asked, etc. If you eat in the dining room for breakfast or lunch, the auto-tip also includes those waiters.

Any drinks or soft drinks have an automatic 15% tip included with the charge. The only other tipping you should do, unless you've received exceptional service and want to give additional rewards, would be to the porters who take your luggage when you board and room service.

Archived