Overnight hotel in Miami or Ft. Lauderdale

BuyRiteTV

Landing in Miami on friday night in March for a cruise on the Liberty on saturday. Any good suggestions on a hotel with transfers to the port. Also is it better to stay close to the airport or the ship? Dont want to spend what Carnival lists as the only hotel they recommend. Thanks again.

My Carnival PVP told us to stay by the airport! I went with his recommendtion, and going down in less than 2 weeks. We booked at the Wyndham at the airport. Booked it with Priceline and named our price.

This is the first time we had ever tryed that, got the room less than half price.:eek:

Landing in Miami on friday night in March for a cruise on the Liberty on saturday. Any good suggestions on a hotel with transfers to the port. Also is it better to stay close to the airport or the ship? Dont want to spend what Carnival lists as the only hotel they recommend. Thanks again.

Check on the East Coast Departures thread, as there are lots listed, with good info. if you are still unsure, google their suggestions, to check other reviews of the same. Tavelocity also offers reviews. We booked direct through the hotel reservations, as we only had to give a credit card to guarantee and could still cancel, where as the expedia and travelocity you had to pay in full. We got the same rates as travelocity. Remember to ask about discounts ie Entertainment, AAA, CAA etc.

Bon Voyage

Check out my Live from the Holiday Inn Miami, lots of info there.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=316151

Fred

I have the same scenario in December... Flying into Miami Airport to leave on the Carnival Valor from the port of Miami.... So I use American Airlines and on the website, they have hotels listed for the frequent flyer thing.... We're using the Red Roof Inn as they have a free shuttle from airport to hotel and hotel to dock.... So I think it was a good deal.... And it was under $100.... Hope this helps....

Living in Miami I can tell you that you do not want to stay close to the airport unless you don't plan on doing anything except go to the hotel and sleep. You are better off staying close to the port and you have some extracurriular activities available to you in the port areaTry for the Intercontinental on PL I hear you can get it for like 80/night....and its a great hotel!

We stayed at the Hyatt downtown Miami last year. We got it on Priceline for $60.00, and it was a really great hotel not far from the port and in walking distance of Biscayne Bay shopping. This year we got the Miami Beach Spa and Resort on Priceline for $70.00. Hope it's as nice as the Hyatt.

• 2 weeks later...
Living in Miami I can tell you that you do not want to stay close to the airport unless you don't plan on doing anything except go to the hotel and sleep. You are better off staying close to the port and you have some extracurriular activities available to you in the port areaTry for the Intercontinental on PL I hear you can get it for like 80/night....and its a great hotel!

Hi Lmondrop -

We met you on the Carnival Glory July 1st. We are going out of Miami on December 2nd - Carnival Valor - looking for a good hotel. I have never used Priceline - how does that work? Would like to stay at the Intercontinental, the price is $219. Also we're flying into Fort Lauderdale - need transportation - what's the best way?

Sue

Hi Lmondrop -

We met you on the Carnival Glory July 1st. We are going out of Miami on December 2nd - Carnival Valor - looking for a good hotel. I have never used Priceline - how does that work? Would like to stay at the Intercontinental, the price is $219. Also we're flying into Fort Lauderdale - need transportation - what's the best way?

Sue

Hi Sue! Yes I remember you guys......I've never used Priceline myself either, but I've heard from so many people on here that if you choose downtown Miami, 5 stars or 4 stars into the options and place a bid for around 70- 80 dollars you will most likely get the Intercontinental. Great Hotel, my SO had an event there every November for the Naional Diabetes Association and we would stay there for a night. The rooms are great and you can get a great view from the bay side rooms. I also reccomend the spa for a relaxing massage. You can also check out the Four Seasons, JW Marriot or the Mandarin Oriental which are all in the same vicinity as the Intercontinental. I don't think these hotels will come through on Priceline.

As for transportation - the best way is to go through a limo/car service. A cab or Super Shuttle in my opinion is to expensive. FLL Airport is about a 30 - 45 minute ride to the port depending on traffic. I'm sorry I'm not able to give you guys a company name but there have been some reccomendations on this same board on one of the other threads...I normally just take my car or I get a ride to the airport.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Hi Sue! Yes I remember you guys......I've never used Priceline myself either, but I've heard from so many people on here that if you choose downtown Miami, 5 stars or 4 stars into the options and place a bid for around 70- 80 dollars you will most likely get the Intercontinental. Great Hotel, my SO had an event there every November for the Naional Diabetes Association and we would stay there for a night. The rooms are great and you can get a great view from the bay side rooms. I also reccomend the spa for a relaxing massage. You can also check out the Four Seasons, JW Marriot or the Mandarin Oriental which are all in the same vicinity as the Intercontinental. I don't think these hotels will come through on Priceline.

As for transportation - the best way is to go through a limo/car service. A cab or Super Shuttle in my opinion is to expensive. FLL Airport is about a 30 - 45 minute ride to the port depending on traffic. I'm sorry I'm not able to give you guys a company name but there have been some reccomendations on this same board on one of the other threads...I normally just take my car or I get a ride to the airport.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Lmondrop

Thanks for the information. We will most likely stay at the Intercontinental or the Marriot.

Sue

RichandSue...

HOTWIRE is currently showing a 4-star hotel in downtown Miami for $91.00 for the evening of December 1. The property is showing the following icons: fitness center, pool, restaurant, business center, hi-speed internet connections, and LAUNDRY FACILITIES. In the past, this property has been identified as the INTERCONTINENTAL. There are only 2 properties in the downtown area used by hotwire. They are the HYATT and the INTERCONTINENTAL. The two can be differentiated by the laundy icon...(in the past) the IC shows this icon and the HYATT does not. Its best to do some research before you try Hotwire, and you can do this on Betterbidding.com or Biddingfortravel.com. Others on thread can help with questions as well. Good luck!

RichandSue...

HOTWIRE is currently showing a 4-star hotel in downtown Miami for $91.00 for the evening of December 1. The property is showing the following icons: fitness center, pool, restaurant, business center, hi-speed internet connections, and LAUNDRY FACILITIES. In the past, this property has been identified as the INTERCONTINENTAL. There are only 2 properties in the downtown area used by hotwire. They are the HYATT and the INTERCONTINENTAL. The two can be differentiated by the laundy icon...(in the past) the IC shows this icon and the HYATT does not. Its best to do some research before you try Hotwire, and you can do this on Betterbidding.com or Biddingfortravel.com. Others on thread can help with questions as well. Good luck!

If you want to stay near the pier I would recommend the Intercontinental over the Holiday Inn and near the airport either the Embasssy suites which offers a manageres cocktail reception nightly and full cooked to order breakfast daily or the Hampton Inn. NMnita

RichandSue...

Thank you for the information. Have you used Hotwire before? I'm a little nervous in case I get a hotel I will not like. I just check it also. Actually I would need it for Dec. 2nd and it came up with one 4 star hotel in downtown Miami with all the icons you listed. If only I knew for sure it would be the Intercontinental.

Do a search on this board (east coast departures) using the word "Intercontinental"...and youll see other peoples experiences using Hotwire and that particular hotel (with the above mentioned icons)...In the past it has turned out to be the Intercontinental. A $128.00 difference may be worth the (small) risk...only you can answer that.I will tell you that on the Betterbidding board, on Sep 7 and Sep 9, 2 different people reserved a 4 star hotel in downtown Miami with the "laundry" icon and it turned out to be the Intercontinental. I do understand your nervousness though. Nobody wants to get stuck with a hotel they dont want to be in. Hope you have a great trip, whatever you decide to do.

Archived