Anyone Re-thinking Swimming With the Stingrays?

MrPete

I swam with the stingrays on my last cruise and would do it again. I think the ones in Cayman Islands that the excursions visit are tame and they are used to people always being around them and feeding them. I think the only time you would get stung is if you accidently stepped on them. They are only defending themselves. I was just wondering, they showed the stinger he was killed with. I know its part of a stingrays spine so does a new one grow back or does that stingray die?

I am leaving in 11 days and the only excursion I truly wanted to do was the stingray swim. I don't know now...... We already booked it and would hate to miss ..... Freak accident or not- I am still a little leary especially after reading the post about the man who was hit in the knee/leg with the barb.

I guess I will make sure we are just careful and pay attention to what we are doing......

We will be in Grand Cayman for my BF's 30th (and my 30-something) birthday on December 14th. He really wanted to do the Stingray city tour. I was already quite frankly terrified. I am pretty scaredy of anything that isn't a dog or a cat (no bugs, snakes, turtles, frogs, etc, etc, etc) Sooooooo this has now made me very very scared. He said if I'm really scared we won't do it because he's not willing for me to be scared to death (yes he is a sweetie) BUT I really hate not to do it because I'd do almost anything to make his 30th b-day special. Can someone give me some further details? My understanding is you have regular snorkeling gear, is that correct? I think I would feel a little more secure if I had fins on. I know for certain if I stepped bare foot on one I would scream. I know I'm probably being a big baby but if anyone can give me further details I would really really appreciate it. I really want to be able to do this for him.

I am not sure about the snorkel gear, but I am sure you can wear water shoes (walmart sells them). I wouldn't cancel the excursion. It was an accident. If you knew someone who died in a car accident would you still ride/drive in a car?

I am not sure about the snorkel gear, but I am sure you can wear water shoes (walmart sells them). I wouldn't cancel the excursion. It was an accident. If you knew someone who died in a car accident would you still ride/drive in a car?

There are car accidents??? I will never ride in a car again. Sorry. That was rude *looks ashamed* This is just something waaaay out there for me. We did the turtle farm last time, the picture of me holding a turtle looks like I'm about ready to drop over, I was so terrified. I know it's odd but I can't help the way I feel.

If you are thinking about cancelling your swim with the Stingrays, I've tried to answer and explain quite a bit at the thread below.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=407538&page=2

Post #38

thanks I read your post, it would fully comfort a normal person heheheheeee. I really need to get out more. Question...do you HAVE to feed the rays? I think I might be ok if I didn't have to have them eat out of my hand. I've seen pictures from a website of a tour guide a friend swears by. I think I could possibly pet the top of the stingray if the guide was holding it. I think that would be as far as I could get. Last night there was a cricket in our house, somehow it was perched on the end of the sofa next to me...I completely freaked out screaming. Maybe there are some kind of classes I can go to learn to 'chill with the animals'

No you don't have to feed the rays. The first time I swam with the Stingrays I had gotten hurt the day before, so staying in the water was hard for me. I took my opportunity to touch the stingrays and then quickly got out of the water without feeding them since it hurt to be in the water. The 2nd time, I didn't even bother trying as there were tons of stingrays about and I was getting to easily touch the stingrays. A few people stayed in the boat and just watched us. You can always get back in the boat if you feel panicked or scared (and just be advise dyou aren't alone:)).

My DH, DD and myself have all been to stingray city more than once and will be going again in October. The water is shallow and you can stand up in it Nikki, don't be afraid. The stingrays are so great, it is an experience you will never forget. I too wonder about the stingrays in the Barrier Reef. The ones in Grand cayman are very docile. I wouldn't let this accident keep me from swimming with the rays again. You can't live your life in fear or you'd never do anything. If all of us were afraid because of sharks, rays, accidents, fires, terrorist etc we'd just stay home and what fun would that be? :) I hope you get to swim with the rays and have a great time.

It's terrible what happened to Mr. Irwin, and my thoughts and prayers are with his family...however, IMO, it was a freak accident.

We're going to be in GC next winter, and we plan on doing stingray sandbar. I know that the stingray's are wild, and things can happen, but the ones at stingray city are used to human contact...but again, they are wild creatures. It will be interesting to hear how large the stingray was that killed Mr. Irwin. I've read where they can grow to huge sizes there (and elsewhere), and there are different species throughout the world.

Of course, even in Grand Cayman I'd not approach a stingray in any other location except stingray sandbar. We did the "stingray shuffle" while walking in the water in front of our condo.

How many thousands of people snorkel and dive and never have a problem? There's probably a greater risk of being struck by lightening.

We will be in Grand Cayman for my BF's 30th (and my 30-something) birthday on December 14th. He really wanted to do the Stingray city tour. I was already quite frankly terrified. I am pretty scaredy of anything that isn't a dog or a cat (no bugs, snakes, turtles, frogs, etc, etc, etc) Sooooooo this has now made me very very scared. He said if I'm really scared we won't do it because he's not willing for me to be scared to death (yes he is a sweetie) BUT I really hate not to do it because I'd do almost anything to make his 30th b-day special. Can someone give me some further details? My understanding is you have regular snorkeling gear, is that correct? I think I would feel a little more secure if I had fins on. I know for certain if I stepped bare foot on one I would scream. I know I'm probably being a big baby but if anyone can give me further details I would really really appreciate it. I really want to be able to do this for him.

You don't have to get in the water. Just stay on the boat and watch everyone else. You will be able to see them close to the boat. We had very high waves the day we went and I do not love the water so stayed onboard along with several other people. It was really rough out there.

By the way, if you do a private excursion it will be better than a huge number of people on the ship tour. We went with Native Way Water Sports. Captain MArvin tours have good reviews as well.

Ok we were just there last Thursday.

1. They do not let you wear water socks, they want you to be able to feel the sand I think. Anyway, they told us to take them off.

2. Go with one of the smaller operators instead of the cattle boats that just dump you there. I took my oldest friend with me and she was petrified once she hit the water and started to freak out. The guide got to her while I tried to hurry up into the water to get to her. By the time I got there he was calming her. At the end she said that she was glad we did it the way we did because it wasn't 100 people getting off and just standing 1 foot from each other. So do the smaller places like Capt Marvin, Capt Bryan, Soto's etc.

3. Don't be the first into the water. And give enough room for the rays to easily pass you. And don't start kicking and flailing in the water, stand still and ask for help.

4. Have the time of your life, as we see it's too short sometimes and we need to appreciate these wonderful creatures and respect their space.

I swam with the stingrays (well, stood in 4 feet of clear clear water while they swam around me) in 2003 and would do it again! It was magical. The 'rays are so gentle and kind of like sea dogs...they want food and they (seem to) like being petted. I was absolutely shocked that someone (especially the Crocodile Hunter!) was killed by one. The ones at Cayman are very calm.

We're on the Victory in November and as a family were talking about this excursion - now, it's not going to happen. I know for most there is the feeling of no danger, but for us - no, it's not going to happen. Daughter and I talked just this morning and she said "heck, let's find something else to do - why take the chance"? Out of the mouths of babes....

I too swam with them in Cayman. I remember specifically the guides explaining that stingrays sense predators from above and to be respectful of this. It's a terrible tragedy for Steve Irwin's family and fans but unfortunately it may have been caused because he was swimming above it and the stingray (not being "humanized" reacted instinctually. I agree it is a freak accident and I can't imagine it happening at Stingray City. I haven't seen a lot of coverage but it would be interesting to know the depth of the water and whether he was scuba or snorkeling. Once the media settles, there may be a decisive explanation on cause of death - whether it was caused by pulling the spear out which would cause him to bleed to death or whether it was simply that the spear punctured the heart causing instant fatality. It's truly shocking

I swam with the stingrays in June in the Caymans....

Will I do it again?...

You are darn skippy.

I ride in a car everyday- people die in cars everyday, I think it's the most common way to die, just a guesstimate.

I HATE it when people say they won't do something because they might die. Heck, you can die falling down a flight of stairs. You can die from salemonella (misspelled?) poisoning in your lunch at work. You could die from a shark bite from a shark, but I am sure people will still go to the beach.

You will die the way you are meant to die and if it's by car, plane, stingray or old turkey in your lunch, so be it.

We swam with the Stingray's a couple of years ago. My husband loved it but I didn't. I got back on the boat in a hurry, did not care to have them swim near me. A friend got bite by a stingray on the excursion.

It's is too bad about Steve Irwin.

I, too am very sad about losing Steve Irwin. I think is was just a freak accident. I am scheduled to go to Stingray City next Wednesday on the CB, and have no plans to cancel this excursion. We did this same excursion about 3 yrs ago on the Grand Princess and really enjoyed it.

Happy Cruisin To All!!:p

There are car accidents??? I will never ride in a car again. Sorry. That was rude *looks ashamed* This is just something waaaay out there for me. We did the turtle farm last time, the picture of me holding a turtle looks like I'm about ready to drop over, I was so terrified. I know it's odd but I can't help the way I feel.

I wasn't trying to be rude, I was trying to make a point. There are accidents all of the time and if we stop doing things just because something happens then we wouldn't do anything. Learn from other peoples accidents and just be more cautious.

If you get to the stingrays and feel like you can't do it just stay on the boat.

One of the thoughts I had after hearing of this tragedy was, "I bet RCCL pulls their cruiseline commercial that shows the family having fun at SRC." Just seems kind of out of place for this particular moment. I think that some time needs to pass between this tragic incident and promotion of swimming with rays by the cruiselines--at least on TV.- People will continue to go to SRC--(I have been twice) but to show it as the marketing tool that it has been for RCCL in particular.....I have mixed feelings about that. Seems tacky and out of place at this particular moment. After some time passes, and people process the Irwin event, then it might not seem callous. To see that commercial today would be cruel irony and bad business for the line.

I've swam with the stingrays twice at Stingray City. The last time we were there the guide gave us some food to feed the stingrays. The suction in their mouth is amazing when they take the food. Be careful where you put your hands after you feed them. I had my hands down in the water and a stingray came up and chomped down on my finger. It hurt like heck as their mouth is real bony inside. I'm sure the stingray still smelled the food on my hands and did not bite me intentionally.

If you feel afraid once you get there just stay in the boat and you can see them probably better than you can in the water. The worse thing is to have someone panic in the water.

Archived