edoc for Princess/can NCl be far behind

newmexicoNita

We got edocs on one of our cruises last year but I don't remember which one. Maybe it was the Grand? hmmm. It didn't matter much to me since they did send a packet with excursion info by mail.

I'm probably not getting the big picture here, but what is it that you don't like about edocs - except of course, that little dance you get to do for the mailman!

IMO, it's no different from any other change. People, in general, don't like change. Creatures of habit. As with any change, people (in time) will learn to adapt. It's really no big deal how docs are delivered. It's all a matter of anticipation and expectation. Once it becomes universally known that edocs are the norm, people won't think twice about it.

What I don't like about edocs is the fact I frequently have trouble with my printer. I have no problem with the rest of my network but I don't want to have to fight with it anymore than I have to. :rolleyes:

Actually, it is a nice neat little package too and easier for me to keep track of.

And I've got to stop ending sentences with prepositions! ;)

We got edocs on one of our cruises last year but I don't remember which one. Maybe it was the Grand? hmmm. It didn't matter much to me since they did send a packet with excursion info by mail.

I'm probably not getting the big picture here, but what is it that you don't like about edocs - except of course, that little dance you get to do for the mailman!

Oh, as for me, it isn't I don't like them, there is just something about getting the docs that makes everything real. Of course we are living in the 21st century, not 1950.

I have no problem with edocs for flying or self check in at the airport. change isn't always easy for any of us; some have a harder time adjusting than others.

The not fuctioning printer can cause a problem as well. the one time we did get E docs was Celebrity: no baggage tags, excursion info, nothing; just this little thing to print out. That was almost 3 years ago. I am surprised this change hasn't happened much sooner. NMNita

This Press Release was issued in November last year by NCL UK

NCL LAUNCHES NEW E-DOCUMENT TICKETING SYSTEM

London, 8 November 2005: Norwegian Cruise Line has today announced the introduction of a new system for distributing tickets to its guests. Designed to simplify the booking process, ‘e-docs’ are to replace the conventional paper tickets on cruise-only holidays.

This new form of ticketing will contain all the components found in the current ticket booklets, including weblinks to information about NCL’s shore excursions, advance guest registration and frequently asked questions. E-documents can be transmitted up to 24 hours prior to sailing and reproduced at any time, ensuring guests receive their travel documents on time, and again if they are mislaid.

Francis Riley, General Manager UK for NCL, commented, “NCL is continually looking for new ways to make booking a cruise with us easier for both the consumer and our travel partners. At the moment e-documents are only available on cruise only holidays, though we are working with our airline and hotel partners to ensure that we can offer e-documents to all our guests in the future.”

Our first cruise this year was booked through a TA so standard paper docs and our cruise this summer included flights so again we received paper docs. Will expect to receive e-docs for the Transatlantic as we've booked our own flights.

Did I understand correctly. The e-docs only apply if you deal diectly with the cruise line? If so, then the "deals" you get with a TA wouldn't exist, right? or could the TA supply the cruise line with your e-mail address ? I hope so because I'm much happier with e-mail than our inefficient postal system.

Acyually I might have been better off with e-docs for my upcoming cruise. I have to leave on the 16th for a cruise on the 20th and don't have docs yet. My TA says wed. or thurs. Not much time to dance! ;)

It is not that edocs are not OK...it is that the paper docs coming in the mail was all part of the excitment leading up to the day of departure...it made the cruise more offical and real. A nice little vacation package that I would look at very other day. Funny how my hubby could care less and probably would not know a paper doc if he saw one. Guess who does all the vacation planning!:rolleyes:

Yes, I will get use to the edocs the same way I got use to not being able to bring my wine onboard like you use to years ago. Because that's life and there is no point in fretting about it...but I don't like it non the less.

Our TA said that NCL will probably have edocs by the time we go in April. :(

Does anyone remember paper airline tickets. Does anyone also remember when they would charge you $100 if you lost it and wanted to fly on the plane you were booked :confused:

The paper docs are traditional and for many in the past the first look at shore excursions, what to wear, when to board etc. In fact an important marketing tool for the cruiselines. The Internet changes everything. Those of us here should be the last to complain about edocs.

That said I can say with well over 25 cruises I have never received edocs. When I do the first thing I will do is forward a copy to my webmail account so I can access a copy anywhere in the world and not have to keep checking for that plastic folder :D

The single biggest issue early on was luggage tags. The porters are now used to passengers having no tags and they carry a stack in their pocket, write the cabin number on one, slap it on the bag, and you are off to checkin.

Does anyone remember paper airline tickets. Does anyone also remember when they would charge you $100 if you lost it and wanted to fly on the plane you were booked :confused:

The paper docs are traditional and for many in the past the first look at shore excursions, what to wear, when to board etc. In fact an important marketing tool for the cruiselines. The Internet changes everything. Those of us here should be the last to complain about edocs.

That said I can say with well over 25 cruises I have never received edocs. When I do the first thing I will do is forward a copy to my webmail account so I can access a copy anywhere in the world and not have to keep checking for that plastic folder :D

The single biggest issue early on was luggage tags. The porters are now used to passengers having no tags and they carry a stack in their pocket, write the cabin number on one, slap it on the bag, and you are off to checkin.

Shoreguy,

I agree with you and your logic. Remember the demographics of cruisers. In today's world, many people, specially older adults, do not like change and their exposure to the Internet is with limited email and then many times they mess that up. With more than 70% of the population in the United States alone having no access to the internet, would they still be assured of receiving traditional docs? Yes, we can get into the financial picture of people but that is not an issue. I have friends that refuse to be involved with internet, email or even cell phones. They do cruise, not members of any cruise boards, and rely on their TA for everything. So again, do you really think all the cruise lines will go completely edocs? Airlines have edocs and now they have no docs just check ins with a form of ID. But they still provide paper tickets for people requesting them.

MOHO for today.

Exactly; actually we really don't even need docs. When we sailed Celebrity 3 years ago and used E docs. We just picked up luggage tags right at the pier. NMNita

Shoreguy,

I agree with you and your logic. Remember the demographics of cruisers. In today's world, many people, specially older adults, do not like change and their exposure to the Internet is with limited email and then many times they mess that up. With more than 70% of the population in the United States alone having no access to the internet, would they still be assured of receiving traditional docs? Yes, we can get into the financial picture of people but that is not an issue. I have friends that refuse to be involved with internet, email or even cell phones. They do cruise, not members of any cruise boards, and rely on their TA for everything. So again, do you really think all the cruise lines will go completely edocs? Airlines have edocs and now they have no docs just check ins with a form of ID. But they still provide paper tickets for people requesting them.

MOHO for today.

I agree - my point those of us here should be the last to worry about edocs. There are still those that will not fly without a paper ticket and in most cases now have to pay extra for it.

No email account no way to provide edocs. ;) The day will come when the TA will have to print and mail those PDF files and I am sure there will be a charge for paper docs.

I recently sailed snagged a super last minute deal on the 7/30 sailing of the Majesty, booking two weeks prior to sailing. The next day, my sister decided to join us, so I called the internet travel agent and booked her cabin as well.

My old fashioned "book" stlye tickets arrived in the big thick envelope,but my sister' s tickets were edocs. Don't know why.

The travel agent printed out the edoc ticket and mailed it to my sister's home.

Sis has a very slow dial up internet connection, so printing at home would not work for her.

She got the luggage tags at the pier. No worries..We all got on the ship just fine.

By the way..the sailing was fantastic:)

Archived