How Many Have Booked River Cruise for 2007 and where?

cruisingmimi

Macca,

Not much chance you will get seasick on a river cruise. I understand there is virtually NO motion at all. In addition you can always see both sides of the river easily and walk there if you wanted to. They say the rivers are very shallow,under 5ft deep.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm still trying to figure out how to use these boards..we are booking the Royale..South of France 7/7...this will be our first...our TA had initially suggested Dielmann and thank goodness for all of you who told me about the smoking on that line..so we are going with Uniworld and I am looking for any tips..info you can give us..

Thanks

My DH and I took this cruise last June-----it was fantastic. There was one downer for me--the weather. It was already 80 degrees by the time we got to Lyon. By Nice, it was almost 100. The ship was delightful--crew great. Meals were superb. Cabins very comfortable. We were in a cat. 2. We don't take the sliding door cabins, mainly due to lack of screens. Plus the open door automatically shuts off the a/c. In the heat we were welcomed back to cold drinks, ice cream--but the best were the frozen washcloths. They felt so good on your face, neck and arms. On our trip Beaune was part of the included stops. It is well worth doing as an optional trip. This was our 4th Uniworld cruise. Each one seems better than the last. There is no self-service laundry on board. The prices are not unreasonable. There was always coffee, tea and iced tea in the foyer in front of the restaurant. This is also where the early bird breakfast was served. Didn't use either the massause or salon, but heard excellent comments about both. My husband is USN retired and the Captain was most welcoming at the bridge. Our CD was Christian Basel. He was a replacement while the regular one was on leave. He was excellent--full of knowledge of the area and history. The local guides were very good. The morning of Arles a young woman gave a lecture on Van Gogh. We were fortunate to have her as our guide. Try to be in her group. If you have any other questions, I'll try to answer them. Travel safely and enjoy.

Pat

Food on the River Royale was superb. Breakfast was a buffet with an eggs cooked anyway you want station. Hot and cold cereals, fruits and the absolutely mouthwatering French pastries. Lunch was also buffet--salads, hot and cold items, fresh fruit and cheese. Of course there was always dessert. All meals were open seating. Dinner was plated--you ordered from a menu--usually a meat, a fish and a veg. plate. There was also a beautiful cheese board and the ubuquitious desserts. On this itinerary there was no afternoon tea. On some of their other cruises there was always afternoon tea at 4pm. No one on our trip complained about the french doors. We found the wines reasonably priced. If you found your own out in town or at one of the wine tastings, there was a 7 dollar corkage fee in the dining room. If you were going to drink up on the sundeck or in your room--no corkage fee. The boat is beautiful, the crew great--one is now in Basel at the home office. If Julian is still Maitre'd, you will have a very well run dining room. Olivier was our head bartender. By the second time you ordered, your name and drink preference wwere imprinted in his mind. There was also an urn of ice water available in the bar--24 hours a day. It was so refreshing in the heat. Our hot weather was not the norm for that time of year. I think the guides slowed down a bit because of the heat

One of my favorite pieces that I brought home was a pendant replica of the tiles on the Papal Palace in Avinoin. They cost 5 euros and are very unusual. I also bought my lavevdar in the market near the ship in Arles. There will be dijon mustard all around--my favorite came from the wine tasting place in Beaune---just had some on baked salmon tonite. Also bought a cd of the organ concert. I know you will bring back some wonderful memories. Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

:) We are traveling GCT 7/12/07. This is our first River Cruise soooo having nothing to draw on with regard to comparison between river cruise lines our decision was truly based on blind-faith. I suspect we will find out rather quickly if we made the right decision.

;) I am a true believer in that a vacation is a success if negatives:mad: are at a minimumn. No matter , every happening good or bad, adds to a memorable experience.:)

I am curious as to how many have already booked 2007 European river cruises and the destination you selected. Also, what cruise line did you select and the reason why.

Thanks so much.

Mary

We are booked on the Mozart for a August 5 Danube River cruise. Am interested in how to get to the Mozart from Munich, without paying $180 r/t with Deilman. This is our first River cruise and we are counting the days!!

Thanks for the info (again!).

Here's another question..I am considering extending the trip a couple of days to see Paris (have never been there).

Does anyone have any info on hotels? has anyone done this?

Pls let me know.

Thanks,

Tina

We are booked on the Mozart for a August 5 Danube River cruise. Am interested in how to get to the Mozart from Munich, without paying $180 r/t with Deilman. This is our first River cruise and we are counting the days!!

Grgiegirl,

You can hire a private driver or use the train

http://www.bahn.de/p/view/international/englisch/international_guests.shtml

Deilmann used to offer a shuttle for 2 trains. But to use the shuttle you need to change the train out of Munich and the connection is quite close (less than 10 min last year, so if the train out of Munich is delayed you don´t reach your connection). The other option is to wait for about an hour at the train station for the shuttle or take a cab.

steamboats

Grgiegirl,

Living in Munich I don´t need a private driver :D . Make a search on this board for "driver" and "Munich". I remember someone on this board used one last year and highly recommended him.

Here´s a list of chauffeuer services on the website of the Munich airport:

http://www.munich-airport.de/DE/Areas/Consumer/Verkehrsanbindung/services/Limoservice/index.html

steamboats

PS: I just found the old thread I was talking about:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=339165&highlight=driver+munich

We just got confirmation of a trip on the Amazon with Noble-Caldonia--London based. We fly to Lima then off to the Peruvian Amazon and on the return go to Machu Pichu. For some reason we were not able to communicate via e-mail. We did all by the postal services and phone. The boat has about 20 cabins. They do this itinerary twice a year. Once in the srping and once in the fall We leave 0n 19 Oct. Can hardly wait. We have 3 fantastic trips planned this year. We leave for Uniworld's Egypt next Mon. In June it's Viking's Berlin to Prague. This is going to be an adventuresome year for us. Travel safely and enjoy. Pat

We are going to the Netherlands and Belgium during "tulip time" with Peter Deilmann cruises on this ship. All the other regular river cruises with them sell out to large corporations during this time. We will be in Amsterdam 2 days pre-cruise and 2 days post-cruise.

We are going on this cruise because......we WON it....can't beat the price! The cruise line gave out 100 in a sweepstakes. The cabins run about 160 sq feet with only 28 cabins total....what a difference from previous cruises with 3000 people.

Hope all of you have a great cruise too!

Can you tell me where you plan to stay in Paris and did you take the insurance through Uniworld..I understand with Uniworld if you take their insurance it has to be done at the time of booking..I would like to do two days in Paris before the cruise..any suggestions anyone? hotel??

Thanks for all the info...very helpful

Tina

We are taking our 3rd cruise with GCT (in Sept)The ones we have taken before have been great. The cabins are small but then you're only there when you sleep! Food has been great and the staff has always been very knowledgable about the ports.

Archived