Sleep Apnea Machine

SUN TURNIP

My Mom Has To Use A Sleep Apnea Machine(sp?) And I Was Wondering If She Will Put This In Checked Luggage Or Do They Let Her Bring It On The Plane? I Would Like To Use It As Checked Luggage But I Also Dont Want It To Get Broke Or Anything. I Know People Check Weird Stuff All The Time (skis, Guns, Golf Clubs) Is There An Extra Fee For This B/c Its For Medical Use?

Not knowing how large or heavy this machine is I may be making an incorrect comment

I would think if this were important to your Mother, which I believe it is--I would think that you would carry it on the plane--like medication--so that it could not get lost

Nancy:D

Carry it on the ship; do not put it in checked luggage. I use one and after reading a horror story in which a passenger's CPAP machine was placed in checked luggage at the pier and subsequently damaged, I'd strongly recommend against doing so.

When the passenger complained about the damage, it was determined that the machine was "essential" to her health, therefore boarding was denied as there was no expertise onboard to make the necessary repair to the machine.

My husband travels with his cpap all the time. When we just went to San Diego Aug 9th and returning the 17th (after the new rules) TSA swabbed the case but we had no problem carrying it on the plane.

Don't check it because it will get broken.

wife and I both have cpaps and we bought carryon bags that will accommodate the machines in their carry bags as well as our other normal carry-on stuff. Makes it much handier. I would never check them with my baggage.

As someone else noted, because they are a medical device, you can carry them on in addition to your usual carry-on allowance plus one personal item. We just find it easier not to be juggling 3 carry-on pieces each.

Hubby has cruised with one for years. Just be sure to bring an extension cord. There is only one outlet for the entire cabin on some ships!

I keep my extension cord in the carrying case for the CPAP - that way it's always ready for travel. I have a heavy duty 15 foot cord with 3 outlets . . . it is long enough for me to get the CPAP right next to the bed while "hiding" the cord out of the way.

Seems like TSA got the word to swab CPAPs with the increase in security. Just ask them to change gloves before they start opening your bag.

Seems like TSA got the word to swab CPAPs with the increase in security. Just ask them to change gloves before they start opening your bag.

Wondering, Why ask them to change gloves...I never thought of this and wondered why you ask...

We keep the extention cord in the CPAP case also, to keep from tripping over it we duct tape to the carpet...doesnt look real cool, but keeps me from tripping or getting my foot hung in it and yanking the whole thing off sweeties face in the middle of the night:p

Wondering, Why ask them to change gloves...I never thought of this and wondered why you ask...

We keep the extention cord in the CPAP case also, to keep from tripping over it we duct tape to the carpet...doesnt look real cool, but keeps me from tripping or getting my foot hung in it and yanking the whole thing off sweeties face in the middle of the night:p

Basically for the same reason I wear shower shoes at the gym . . . cleanliness. I want to keep things as clean as possible with the cpap. The screener's gloves have been rooting around in shoes, bags and who knows where.

Actually I ask them to reglove if they want to open anything.

Archived