Freedom 9/03 review

rfoust

Just got back from the 9/3 sailing on Freedom. I've seen several reviews on here so figured I'd add mine too. :-) Overall, the cruise and the ship were excellent! We didn't want to leave (who would?)!!

Pre-cruise: We got in a day early and stayed at the Radisson. We had a corner room with glass on 2 walls so we had an excellent view of the ship and Miami. Hotel was nice but we weren't really there long enough to enjoy it. The beach at South Beach was nasty! Trash all over it and sketchy people walking around (this was around sunset). I was afraid I was gonna step on a serenge! haha. And all the trash on the beach made us not want to get our feet in the water for fear of what might be floating around. Ocean Drive (the boardwalk, and the street) and Lincoln Road were really nice and fun to walk on! The grass was really green. Tons of shops and stuff to do. Neat place to visit, but I dont think I'd spend any amount of time there.

Embarkation: We got to the port around noon. Check-in was fast but debarkation from the previous cruise wasn't finished, so we stood in a line for about 30 minutes. Wouldn't have been a big deal at all except from all the walking on the previous day at South Beach, I ended up getting a major muscle spasm in my lower back which hurt like crazy!! I could barely stand or do anything. (ended up getting a shot of demerol (sp?) and muscle relaxer at the medical facility as soon as it opened at 5pm - after that, I was fine! - the medical facility was excellent and actually kinda busy with patients - staff were very professional)

The ship: Amazing!!! It is so long it takes forever to walk from one end to another. Our room (7260) was under the whirlpool. Nobody can see in the room from the whirlpool, but the reflective glass makes it kinda hard to see out from our balcony. I think I'd get a room *not* with the reflective glass if I did it again. It was really like a mirror at night.

Flowrider: I didn't get to try this till the last sea day (see back problems above) but it was soooo much fun!! I wish I had been able to ride it much more. The lines on sea days were like 30-45 minutes. It needs to be open more often and longer. Oh, and a note for those who wear contacts. Take them out. :) I can't believe I didn't lose mine, and I had to squint real hard and blink a lot every time the 30mph water went in my eyes.

Food: Windjammer on the first day at lunch was full of starving refugees. Prepare for battle when entering that area. Took a long time to find a place to sit, but didn't have much problems on other days. Food was pretty good but cafeteria quality. Johnny Rockets was very good and fun because you can sit outside (and the free crown & anchor coupons make it even better). We ate at Portofinos and Chops on Tues and Wed. We liked Portofinos better, but both were very very good and worth the money. It is also very quiet in there compared to the other dining rooms. The main dining room food was also good. Better on some nights than others, but food is largely personal preference.

One story to tell here - on the 2nd night in the dining room, these old bitter ladys claimed we stole their table. We had a 2 person table very close to the window. They were saying "We don't want to make a scene, we'll just take this other table tonight" and of course saying it very loudly and making a scene... anyway, apparently the breakfast staff put the table numbers in the wrong place that day so we *were* at the right table. Eh, whatever. Wouldn't have been a big deal but they were like one table over from us all night and I could hear them be-otching about it for a long time, so it kinda ticked me off. Our waiter eventually told them what had happened once I asked him about it. (our waiter was *excellent* - his name was "Bongay")

Shows: All the shows were excellent, including the ice show. Not much I can say here. Go to all of them, they are worth seeing. BTW, the Arcadia Theatre seemed to be the only place where you can get the tall glass souvenier glasses, and one night they claimed to be out even though I could see people walking around with them. Not sure what the story is there.

Spa: We got a couples massage, and it was very relaxing! My wife did some other thing at the spa (some cellulite reduction thing). They are *very* pushy trying to sell you stuff. They tried to sell my wife $700 lotion!! ?!?! The spa is very nice though - the couples massage is worth going!

Excursions: We did the Tulum Express in Cozumel (take your swimsuit - you can go swimming) - It was very scenic. We did the Canopy tour in Jamaica - it was really fun! Something we had never done before. I only wish it was longer. We just went to 7 mile beach (sea grape) in grand cayman. It was fun but really crowded. Labadee we did the jet skis. I think this was my favorite excursion! Seemed to last a long time and was so much fun! My wife was a passenger and I was still able to go as fast as I wanted! I'll definitely do this again if we go back. Labadee was by far the best place we visited. It was very clean, lots of beaches, and the water was clear and warm.

Other things to mention: Do the "martini taster" in the Vintages wine bar. Its a cheap way to get a lot of martini and it is pretty fun too. They show you how to make 4 martinis (you get to drink a small glass of it), and then they let you make your own full martini in front of everybody. Only us and one other couple showed up for it. Check out the Australian Jazz Quartet. They were very good and I'm not even a big jazz fan. I wish they had CD's to buy. One thing to avoid: the hour and a half long "shopping guide" in Studio B. What a total waste of time. The entire thing is a sales pitch, and you don't need to be present to get your free diamond thingy. Just pick up the coupon on your way to the tender in Cozumel.

Debarkation: Fast! (for the most part). Walked off the ship not long after we heard our color around..uh...7:30am? Took 5 minutes (if that) to get through customs, immediately got our bags. Done!

We had an amazing time on this cruise. I'm already thinking about doing a B2B on the Liberty since it will be alternating east/west! ;)

Feel free to ask questions...

- Robbie

Thanks for the review, we were on the 8/27 sailing before you, sorry our late disembarkation (close to 2hrs late) resulted in your prolonged embarkation.

Agree with you re: the Flow Rider...what a blast, wish we could have done it more often.

The Ice Show was good, wasn't it? We also liked the Magic Show very much

Where the Nelsons still onboard? If not, who were the celebrity entertainers?

We changed our table for the 3 of us from a table of 4 (other seat was empty) to a table of 10 where we met non-english speaking paxs from France and Argentina, despite the language barrier, we still had great dinners with our new tablemates.

Labadee was indeed a great port of call, no issues with jelly fish?

Your Jamaica excursion sounds cool, something we want to try ourselves next time out.

We also had high pressure sales tactics in the SPA.

Glad your disembarkation went quick and smooth.

-MACE-

Robbie,

I can't believe you were able to get off the ship so fast. That is great news. We got in line at 7:45 the week before you and it took close to an hour to finally get through immigration. We are dilligently working on our review. We are hoping to post it later this week. We took so many pictures it is taking longer than I expected. It is a wonderful ship and I would happily board it any time I can.

meandralph: You will have a blast! The bus ride to the canopy tour was probably 45 minutes each way but I didn't really look at my watch. I think the road trip was more scary than "swinging through the trees"!!! People in Jamaica drive like crazy people! I thought we were all gonna die. The canopy tour seemed very safe though. They give you bug spray to use so don't worry about mosquitos. The tour guides there were funny and added to the experience. They were always making jokes and stuff but you could tell they were serious about safety. They connect all the equipment for you. All ya have to do is hang on for the ride!

MACE: Yes, the Nelsons were still there. I thougth the Osmonds were better when I saw them on the Explorer a few years ago, but the Nelsons were still good. I didn't realize who they were until I heard a few of their songs I recognized from the 80's! :) Nope, no issues with jellyfish. I actually looked for them after reading about it on this board, but never saw one. Honestly though, I'm not sure I'd know what I was looking at even if I did see one unless it was obvious. The water was very calm, so maybe that contributed to their absense? No idea...

Just home from the Freedom today as well, Had a great time, I'll post more tomorrow, if you have any questions, feel free...Yes, the Nelson's were still onboard, they were fantastic, they got off the ship for good in Grand cayman.. More tomorrow...

Be sure you see Adrian at the Bolares Bar... Tell him Adam and Ken said Hi

Oh by the way, we checked our bags at the port in miami (american airlines) and one suitcase didn't make it to our destination. Apparently it is still in Miami. :( No idea why, but apparently this happens a lot with the TSA according to the AA rep I talked to at the airport. She said "The TSA is gonna make us all go bankrupt."

- Robbie

I think Windjammer is your only option for Lunch on the first day. I'd have to double check the compass to be sure. There is no outdoor seating at the Windjammer. Technically, it is Windjammer and Jade, but it is all one big room. I guess you could take your food somewhere else and eat it if you dont mind walking a few minutes with it to the pool area. But then you have to walk all the way back for seconds! :)

During the sail away party, I was in the medical facility getting muscle relaxer shots in my back (at 5pm). At 6:15, I went straight to the dining room (we had first seating) and realized we hadn't even left the port yet, so I didn't miss much! (yay!) But yes, the sail away party is usually just a band playing and lots of people drinking pina coladas and having a blast! The ship moves so slow at first that you probably have time to do both. Watch a little while from your balcony, then go up to the pool deck to join the fun. :)

Thanks for the review. We can't wait to go in November. My son and husband are going to try the Canopy tour. You mentioned Sea Grape was busy. Are there other options for other beaches that you may have noticed? Also did you feel like you really wanted to get off the ship in each port or in hindsight would it have been a nice idea to just stay on board and enjoy the quiet?

shellden: Yes, 12 would be a good time to arrive based on my experience. The line was quickly growing so the later you show up, the later you get on the ship. It seemed like a lot of people got on the ship in front of us but once we were on the ship and walking around, the place seemed totally empty for like an hour. Maybe they had all gone straight to the Windjammer!

kpgclark: Sea Grape was busy, but it was really nice. There are two other stops that the taxi driver makes. The first stop is Royal Palms beach (i think?) and I hear it is older and run down, which is why we didn't go there. The 2nd stop was some place that charged $12 pp so we didn't go there, and it seemed like everyone on the bus was going to Sea Grape so we went with the trend. Just make sure you aren't sitting near the bathrooms. The wind blew in our direction a few times. ;)

The only reason we got off the ship at every port was because we had never been to any of the ports. Next time we go, we might just stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet at some of the ports. Maybe ride the Flowrider when the lines aren't so long! :)

- Robbie

Thanks for the review, I am not going until April 2007. Seems so far away. Could you tell me how much the canopy tour was each person and if I should take a cab there or do you think it would be okay to rent our own jeep and find our way?

Thanks,

Terry

Thanks for a great review!

Can you tell me more about the couples massages? The cost? Are they done in the same room, etc...details? Best day and time to get it done?

So, 12:00 noon is a good time to get there? Any earlier we would just have to wait right?

Best day and time to go to Portofino's? You mentioned Tueday and that was the day I thought about going, but wanted to ask someone about it.

What days are Formal Nights? Did you see a lot of people dress up? Tuxedos or Long Dresses?

Thanks so much! I appreciate it!

Deana

The martini tasting was on my list of things to do, how much was it and how long did it take? We have late seating so want to be sure I would be done in time for dinner.

Did you go to any Crown & Anchor parties? If so do you recall the dates & times?

Thank you for taking the time to write the review and answer questions.

BonVoyage

Dawna

Just got back from the Freedom yesterday as well. I am still feeling the ship even as I type this. It was definitely a great ship. We didn't have enough time to do everything, and to see the whole ship. It's just too big(not a bad thing though)! Looking forward to the Genisis class ship in 2009, I will definitely be on it. My head waiter told me that they might have a ZOO on the ship?! Not too excited about that idea.

Did the Tulum express tour as well, and definitely recommend to bring your swim suit with you if you want to do this. However, I was quite disappointed about this tour, you don't get to touch any of the ruins, you are roped off about 10 feet minimum away from any small structure. The whole tour was around 5 hours, but 3 hours of it was getting there and back.

Did the Sea trek helmet dive in Grand Cayman, and this was the best excursion we did. I was the first to go down, so had about 30 minutes of fun down there. My wife enjoyed it more than me. One guy in our group could not do it because he was feeling a lot of pressure in his ears when he climb down the ladder. It was 24 feet deep. There is a videographer down there the whole time, and he filmed a lot of the stuff under there that you can't really get to as well as us feeding the fish. We bought the DVD for $50. Worth the experience! Shopping here is expensive, T-shirts are $12 each, you can get them for $5 at Cozumel. My wife bought a Cartier watch for $2050, we found the same watch at Miami International Airport's duty free shop for $2000!

Did the Canopy tour in Jamica, it was fun, a great experience, but I will not do it again. This is the kind of thing that you will have to try once, but that's about it. The actual time you are on the canopy is less than 1 minute total, the rest of the time is getting connected, and walking up the mountain. We went shopping afterward, and it was a total waste of time. The city shopping center had around 20 stores there, 15 were jewellery stores, and the others are T-shirts and woodcraft. We later found out that you can go shopping right at the pier. A few stores just right where you dock.

Go to the beach early in the morning at Labadee, that's how you are going to get a chair under the tree. You would not last very long out in the sun without any shades.

The first night comedian wasn't that funny, but the rest of the shows were good. Dinner in the main dinning room is not as good as our last trip on Adventure of the seas. But they do try to do a little bit more than the otherships, they will be singing one day, dancing another day, then the chefs come out one day, so always entertainment in the dining room. Missed the first night cause we went to Chops, waiter said it was the first time on Freedom that Chops is open and the ship is still docked. We watched the sail away from Chops, too bad it was raining a bit. The last night we went to Portofino, and we have decided the next cruise, we will only be dining in the specialty restaurants only. The atmosphere is better, and the food was excellent!

Disembarkation was an hour process, waiting in line for custom as well as waiting for the luggages. Can't wait till I get on the Genisis!

myz, do you think we should even bother with the zipline in Montego Bay? It would be my husband going with our 12 year old son.

It's an experience. If you have never done it before, then this is definitely the best place to do it, since you get to go on the longest zipline in the world! But even that only took 40 seconds to come down. The feeling is like when you go skiing, you have to take the lifts up the mountain, except this is going down hill at a faster speed.

What else are you going to do in Montego Bay anyways? There isn't anything worth seeing. I think they also have the helmet dive in Montego Bay, and I would go with the helmet dive over the canopy anyday!

kpgclark,

Some folks at our table went on the ziplining in Montego Bay a couple weeks ago. They said that there were only 6 platforms and most of the runs were very short. Last year I ziplined in Costa Rica on a land based trip. They had about 15 platforms, some with very long runs. If this is the only chance you will have to zipline, it might be worth doing, so that you know you will want to do it again; but if you will be traveling to another port some day that has a better setup, I would wait. Ziplining is a lot of fun, but short runs would be a real let down. Having said that, a 12 year old would have a ball doing no matter how long a run they have. Obviously you will be better off getting advice from someone who actually has done the Jamaica ziplining and hopefully somewhere else also.

I didn't see MYZ350's post before I made mine. This is why you need someone's info that has actually done it. My tablemates never mentioned it being the longest zipline in the world. They said they enjoyed it, but there wasn't much to it. It sounds like if you want a zipline experience, this might be a good place to try it then. There really isn't a lot of other things to do in Montego Bay.

I didn't see MYZ350's post before I made mine. This is why you need someone's info that has actually done it. My tablemates never mentioned it being the longest zipline in the world. They said they enjoyed it, but there wasn't much to it. It sounds like if you want a zipline experience, this might be a good place to try it then. There really isn't a lot of other things to do in Montego Bay.

Your tablemate is correct in that there are only 6 platforms, and the last run is the longest in the world, the rest are short, 3 of which was less than 5 seconds in the air. You spend alot of time waiting in line to get hooked on to the zipline.

Archived