Freedom 9/03 review

rfoust

Another couple of things to mention, our muster drill was on deck 4, right where people get on board, and up till 5:15, people were still getting on the ship. Some might have gotten on even after, but 5:15 was when we started heading back to our room.

In the main dining room, ours was first seating, and I found that on formal nights, almost everyone was dressed up. I walked in during lunch hours after an excursion not realizing I was wearing a tank top, the waitress at the door told me that I had to go change, so for those fashion police, you'd be happy to hear about that. One thing that bothered me as well as others on our table was people showing up late for their dinner. There is this one table that consistantly shows up at 7:15-7:30. We thought that was not fair to the rest of the guests as the waiter will now have to attend to them with the main course and disrupt the flow of the waiter and ended up prolonging the dinner.

Thanks so much for the reviews...we can't wait...even though we have awhile to go.

Did you ever feel crowded? Too many people?

Nope, 4100 passengers on board, and the only time we didn't want to wait for the elevator was right after the show. We stayed at 8362, close to the aft elevator, and I think this is the best place to be at. You don't have to walk too far to get to an elevator, and it's not right next to the elevator so you don't hear any of the noises. Even during at sea days, it was not difficult to find a chair beside the pool. Tendering on and off the ship was quite fast as well. You will definitely not feel crowded at all.

Hi, Im booked on the 10/29 sailing of the freedom and was wondering if anybody knows the dinner times for the second and first seatings as well as the show times for each. I am currently scheduled for second seating but have always done first seating in the past. Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks for the insights - we are cruising on 12/3. Just a couple of questions - do you remember the name of the cruise director - what were the production shows - did you use RCCL busses or taxi's to get to the port(if so the availability and cost)?

Thanks

The cruise director is James from Australia, he is very funny. RCCL buses run every 45 minutes, and I believe we just missed the bus when we showed up, cause we waited for a long time for the bus. Mine was free because we booked the flight with RCCL. I think it's $5 per person if you didn't have the transfer. Plenty of taxi out there, but I doubt you can get to the pier cheaper than the bus.

Hi, Im booked on the 10/29 sailing of the freedom and was wondering if anybody knows the dinner times for the second and first seatings as well as the show times for each. I am currently scheduled for second seating but have always done first seating in the past. Anybody have any suggestions?

First seating is at 6, and second is at 8:30. Show time is 7 and 9. I prefer the early seating because after you eat, you can relax a bit, then go watch the show. If you go with late seating, you watch the show first, then you have a late dinner, by the time you finish dinner, it's 10 already, and you have no room for a midnight buffet(2 nights). Unless you plan on staying up every night till 2 in the morning.

-

Other things to mention: Do the "martini taster" in the Vintages wine bar. Its a cheap way to get a lot of martini and it is pretty fun too. They show you how to make 4 martinis (you get to drink a small glass of it), and then they let you make your own full martini in front of everybody. Only us and one other couple showed up for it. Feel free to ask questions...

- Robbie

Thanks for the great review. Do you remember what day/time the Martini Taster was? We will definitely be doing that during our Oct sailing!

myz, do you think we should even bother with the zipline in Montego Bay? It would be my husband going with our 12 year old son.
We will be there on the 28th and post a full review when we get home. Taking our 12 year old daughter. This is the first time I saw an it's boring type of review. We have a large group from our Meet & Mingle going so sure other reviews will pop up soon too.

Still waiting for the cost of the martini tasting? :)

BonVoyage

Dawna

rfoust, I saw in your review that you did the Tulum Express while in Cozumel. I have heard a number of pro and con reviews about the ferry ride to Playa. Some say it can be rough, some say no big deal. What was your opinion?

Some seniors in our group would like to do the Tulum tour but are concerned that the walk might be too hard, possibly the terrain steep and/or rough for those with bad knees. Does anyone know if it is really that bad? I'd like to encourage these ones to go if I could get some firsthand impressions...

AndyB

The captain 2 weeks ago was Capt. Erik Tengelsen and the Cruise Director was James Andrews. Both outstanding people.

Agree. Although I didn't get to meet or speak with Captain Tengelsen, James (AKA the boy from Oz) was very funny and if you met him at anytime during the cruise, he was sociable and open. I can see why he is on FOS.

Some seniors in our group would like to do the Tulum tour but are concerned that the walk might be too hard, possibly the terrain steep and/or rough for those with bad knees. Does anyone know if it is really that bad? I'd like to encourage these ones to go if I could get some firsthand impressions...

AndyB

When you arrive at the dock, there is a 10 minute walk to the bus(normal street condition), which takes you to the ruins. Once your bus arrives, you pay $2(round trip) for the ride that takes you to the entrance of the ruins, from that point on, you will be walking, but not a whole lot though since you can't get close to them. There are only steps up to the cliff where you get to see the ocean, and stairs going down to the beach. Definitely have to get up to the cliff to see the view. It's not worth the trip if you don't get to the cliff.

Does anyone know the age/height restrictions for the Flow Rider?

Thanks!

Don't know if there is one. But the parents do have to sign a waiver form on behalf of their kids to get a wrist band. You can do both the boogie board and the surf board with the same band, just depends on what they are doing at that time.

I was also on the 9/3 sailing and my biggest complaint is that I had to get off the ship!! I traveled with my husband and our three girls ages 8,6 & 20 mos. We all had a blast!! My girls even liked it better than the Disney Cruise! I wish that the FOS has a nursery for my little one, because I just couldn't do the in room sitting, but other than that, I loved everything. There is just soooo much to do on this ship that we need to go back to see the rest. We did several of the family activities and my kids loved the kids club. We were in stateroom 8200 which is a family ocean view room at the front of the ship! It was awesome!! I have pics on webshots if anyone wants to see the stateroom. I can't wait to go back!! :D

Did it take anyone else a long time to get off the ship? It took us almost an hour and a half. Disney has this one beat by a mile!!

Archived