NCL and Liquor

gg913

I agree also... I'm looking forward to having the bar set-up myself but I don't plan on running back to my room to make drinks... It will save me a bit of money but more importantly it will save me running between our room and a bar several times during our pre-dinner relaxation :)

Tim

Sure you can but be sure and use a plastic glass or cup. And for the OP information, no cruise line will allow you to purchase and take bottles of duty free back to your cabin anymore. It used to a great way to enjoy your drinks and relax in your cabin. too bad they all stopped it. NMnita

Actually many lines allow duty free to be taken from their store to your cabin for consumption.

I was on a Greek Island Louis Lines this summer and they let you, as does Thompson cruises and many high end lines.

The mass market "American" lines in fact are about the only ones who forbid the practice.:(

Why don't you just put the booze in a covered cup and bring that to the pool. No one will know what is in there and just pour a small amount in to the soda. Just be careful no kids pick up the cup w/ the booze in it!

I think that Shoreguy explained it quite well. That is not what the bar set-up is for......it is to drink in your room If people do this NCL will discontinue it, and I say it is a tacky thing to do.

Buy your drinks at the pool.

Actually many lines allow duty free to be taken from their store to your cabin for consumption.

I was on a Greek Island Louis Lines this summer and they let you, as does Thompson cruises and many high end lines.

The mass market "American" lines in fact are about the only ones who forbid the practice.:(

The reason that the mass market lines in the US don't do it is because of US liability laws. Europeans have a different view on who is responsible. Both Louis and Thompson are primarily aimed at non-US citizens(for Louis it is even hard to find an US agent who will book them-I am not sure about Thompson). In any case the question was about NCL and the answer is no, you can't buy it from the Duty free and take it back to your room...

The cruise lines have done bar set up for ages and are not going to give it up the money.

You are correct. And the money is in the drinks they sell at the bars. They will kill the low margin bar setup in a flash it it starts cut into the high margin mixed drinks They make perhaps $30 on a bar setup the can make that much on 5 or 6 mixed drinks.

The bar settup is not a standard offer. You know about it from reading here. You will find not one mention of it in a brochure or on the website. It is a courtesy provided by the passenger courtesy department. We need to be courteous in the way me enjoy the service.

The cruise lines have done bar set up for ages and are not going to give it up the money.

Guess what? Princess discontinued bar set ups about 3 or 4 months ago. I now have very good cliants that would not, normally even think of smuggling booze on the ship that are re-considering over this very thing. NMnita

Just off the QM 2 and they were pushing bar setups. Pints of Booze for $20.00 plus free cans of sodas....
not a bad deal when the sodas are included. We all know NCL charges $40 for a liter with no mixers included. I think HAL is a little cheaper; something like $34.00 per liter. I intend on ordering ours next week. NMnita

Good news, they have always said 2 weeks prior to sailing. Even when I send gifts to cliants I have to order 2 weeks in advance, but I also thought, they might bend. I am sure they don't want to lose any money. NIta

Where do you order? it. Don't see anything on the NCL site. Do they have a listing of the brands?

[quote name='newmexicoNita']Guess what? Princess discontinued bar set ups about 3 or 4 months ago. I now have very good cliants that would not, normally even think of smuggling booze on the ship that are re-considering over this very thing. NMnita[/quote]

Yup, but they still have 10oz (330ml) bottles with mix for something like $ 18.00 or there abouts. Very limited selection, & not a "bar set-up" like Princess customers want. :mad:

We have used the bar setup for each of our NCL cruises for pretty much the same reasons as most here. It is convenient to be able to have a drink in your cabin, or on the balcony especially before dinner. It also means we are all less inclined to resort to smuggling booze onboard. It does save you a small fortune on bar prices, but we would likely just not have the drink if it weren't for the bar setup (the Scottish blood again ;))

NCL do this of course to make money, as the mark up against the price they buy the bottles for is significant (just look at how low the duty free prices are, and they make money on that too), but they do this because they believe it isn't losing them much bar sales since you are in your room anyway.

The number for the bar setup is getting harder to get an answer though. Last time we still didn't get a reply after almost an hour of waiting and ended up emailing NCL and they set it up that way.

Oh BTW - one tip. We took a small jar of lemon slices last time around (a bit difficult now with the current no liquids on flights rule). It really does add the finishing touch to a Gin and Tonic, especially on a sunny day on the balcony :D
[attachment=21120:name]

[quote name='A Sixth?']Yup, but they still have 10oz (330ml) bottles with mix for something like $ 18.00 or there abouts. Very limited selection, & not a "bar set-up" like Princess customers want. :mad:[/QUOTE]
I guess I should have clarified that: you are right, but that to me is not a bar set up, but a little bon voyage type of gift. NMnita

Archived