Summary of winning bids on Priceline

dmk

3 rooms one night (Aug 22) pre cruise. $65 per room on priceline. With tax & fees, total of $77 & change per room.

I asked the hotel about cruise packages, $199. Rack rate is $144.

Priceline accepted my bid right away - I should have started a little lower.

3.5 stars in San Pedro, close for most lines, a bit of a drive for Carnival (which we are taking). We've stayed there before, and prefer to keep the car at the pier.

I did it thur Hotwire. It's a 3.5 star.

I got the Silver Cloud-Stadium for our post cruise one night-7/19 for $107. Were already staying in downtown pre-cruise @ the Westin for 3 nights.

Not sure how hotwire works, I see that you only know the star rating and the location so how are you knowing it is the silver cloud-stadium? Sorry for being stupid.:o There is a great price listed today for a 3 1/2 star for downtown and I hate to miss it.

Thanks,

I've found the betterbidding dot com website to be very helpful.

I learned that the Silver Cloud Stadium has about seven amenities, and the only difference between this hotel and the Silver Cloud Broadway, is the fact that Broadway has a comp breakfast. If what you're seeing is a 3.5 star with only 4 amenities (restaurant, fitness center, hi speed internet, and business center), it's probably the Crowne Plaza in Seattle.

I've been checking Hotwire twice daily, every day, for my September dates, and the 3.5 star in the Downtown/Pike Place area with only 4 amenities has been showing for months now. I've yet to see either Silver Cloud property show up. We need the Silver Cloud Stadium because we're getting on Amtrak the next morning, and we don't want to take a chance with trying to catch a taxi that early in the morning, so we're willing to wait.

Good luck in your search!

I learned that the Silver Cloud Stadium has about seven amenities, and the only difference between this hotel and the Silver Cloud Broadway, is the fact that Broadway has a comp breakfast. If what you're seeing is a 3.5 star with only 4 amenities (restaurant, fitness center, hi speed internet, and business center), it's probably the Crowne Plaza in Seattle.

I've been checking Hotwire twice daily, every day, for my September dates, and the 3.5 star in the Downtown/Pike Place area with only 4 amenities has been showing for months now. I've yet to see either Silver Cloud property show up. We need the Silver Cloud Stadium because we're getting on Amtrak the next morning, and we don't want to take a chance with trying to catch a taxi that early in the morning, so we're willing to wait.

Have u ever made a purchase according to these guidelines but end up with a hotel totally different from what you have expected? Just wondering how often you can count on the guidelines, thanks!

I just started using the guidelines this time around. I've used Hotwire once before for a hotel in Fort Lauderdale before a cruise several years ago, but we went more by price and location, than trying for a specific hotel.

This time I did a lot of research for both my hotels in Seattle and Vancouver. I knew I wanted the Pan Pacific in Vancouver, and thanks to betterbidding, I knew the amenities to look for. Two months ago, I plugged in my dates, and there were the amenities I was looking for (it didn't mention golf nearby, nor did it state that it was a condo), so I took a chance and ended up with the Pan Pacific in Vancouver! This is a prime location for us, since we board the Carnival Spirit the next morning, and we can take the elevator down to the ship!

Your chances are better if there are a limited number of 3.5 (in the case of Seattle) hotels in the area you're looking at, and the amenities are different between hotels.

So far, I'm batting 1000, but I'm getting a little anxious waiting for the Silver Cloud Stadium to pop up!

Hi John:)I took Amtrak last summer and will be doing it again

in Sept too:)

I ended up getting the WESTIN on Priceline last time.

Any of the major hotels have cabs readily available to get

you to the train station:)

I got to Amtrak at about 7:00 and had plenty of time to spare.

Just an FYI for you:)

When in Sept are you going?:D

Edited by Lois R

Won Priceline:)

WESTIN: Downtown Seattle:

Date Bid, 5/1/09

Date staying there 9/5/09 for one night

85.00 + 20.24 fees= 105.24 total charge:)

I stayed at this hotel before and its very nice:D

I checked Downtown and SpaceNeedle Zones and

I checked 3 stars and it said I got upgraded to 4.

And now I have one less thing to do;)hotel is done!

Edited by Lois R

Thanks, Lois, but I'm afraid that the other couple we're traveling with are a little paranoid about getting a cab that time of morning. They have a friend who lives in the Seattle area who's told them that it's difficult (impossible) to get a cab, especially that early in the morning. Karen (Seattlecruiselover) had posted something similar in this thread, so we agreed upon the Silver Cloud Stadium because not only is it close to the Amtrak station, they also have a shuttle available that will take you over there. I agree with you in that we could get a nicer hotel for less money either on Priceline or Hotwire, but I want to make sure that everyone is comfortable.

We're flying up to Seattle on 9/14, and we'll be catching the train the next morning. It's a Monday night, and the Mariners aren't in town until the following night, so I'm hoping that people in town to see the baseball game will be staying Tuesday night, and not Monday!

Have a wonderful trip!

Dru

Thanks johndru, that's exactly why I was wanting it also. I have used priceline before but not hotwire. Good luck on your quest also.

Help!!

How does Priceline work when you have a family of 4 and need 2 beds?

Thanks....

Hotwire has 3.5stars

7/18 one night stay at Sea Tac airport location

Hilton - $69

Any diff btwn - Hilton, Radisson, Doubletree - over at Sea Tac?

Sorry, Carolina Shore, I know that someone else will be able to help.

I just wanted to let other know that I just got a room through Priceline - 4* downtown Vancouver, Hyatt Regency for $75 - which is absolutely perfect for Vancouver. We have stayed at that hotel before and it usually over $200 CDN plus tax to book directly. The thing is that my first bid was accepted, so now I am thinking I should have started around $65 - not that it is a big deal, it's all about hunt :D.

Sorry, Carolina Shore, I know that someone else will be able to help.

I just wanted to let other know that I just got a room through Priceline - 4* downtown Vancouver, Hyatt Regency for $75 - which is absolutely perfect for Vancouver. We have stayed at that hotel before and it usually over $200 CDN plus tax to book directly. The thing is that my first bid was accepted, so now I am thinking I should have started around $65 - not that it is a big deal, it's all about hunt :D.

Joanne, I know what you mean. I got the Westin in Seattle for a total

of 105.00. I bid 85 bucks and it accepted my first bid too.

Wonder if I should have started at 75.00 instead:rolleyes:....oh well,

I am very pleased anyway:D. I stayed here last summer too

and its really nice:)

Help!!

How does Priceline work when you have a family of 4 and need 2 beds?

Thanks....

Hotwire has 3.5stars

7/18 one night stay at Sea Tac airport location

Hilton - $69

Any diff btwn - Hilton, Radisson, Doubletree - over at Sea Tac?

I have heard differing opinions but we have used priceline several times (x2 in Vancouver and 1 in Seattle) and never had any trouble I just really politely rang said I know etc etc but if there was anyway they could note on our booking our preference for 2 beds we would appreciate it - we then mentioned it again at check in and on the 3 occasions they had already organised this!

Good luck

Jane

Joanne1,

I just tried priceline a couple days ago and bid 100 and was turned down.:mad: What am I doing wrong?

hmmmm, not sure . . . what date are you looking for? Vancouver, downtown, what *?

Joanne, I know what you mean. I got the Westin in Seattle for a total

of 105.00. I bid 85 bucks and it accepted my first bid too.

Wonder if I should have started at 75.00 instead:rolleyes:....oh well,

I am very pleased anyway:D. I stayed here last summer too

and its really nice:)

I know, we both got great deals but like I said . . . it's all about the hunt:D.

I went with Hotwire...

Right now they have some awesome deals.

I got Pan Pacific Seattle for $129 a night

staying post cruise

7/26 - 7/29

I spoke to someone very nice on the phone and did as mentioned...

Just politely asked for 2 beds (doubles), no problem. They noted it on the reservations. It was as if they were expecting my call and were ready to type in the preference.

;)

I tried Priceline again-and this time requested 4 star downtown Vancouver and put in bid for 105.00. I got it. Good news - bad news. I got the only hotel that only has either 1 king size or two twins. I have three people in my party. When I called hotel, they said that I could add a rollaway for $30 at check in or ask to be upgraded. So we'll wait and see. I was thrilled to get Sutton Place for that price, but needed an extra bed.