What I Learned from my St. Thomas Friend.......

sail7seas

I spoke with friends of ours today in St. Thomas. They've lived 'on island' for years and are in business there ......;) Jewelry business, what else. :)

We were talking about the ships starting to return soon; the quiet summer season etc and I asked for latest news on Crown Bay.

They told me leases had been granted but the stores have made no move to get up and open.

They also told me they heard just this week that Princess reached a resolution that they would be using Crown Bay and would not be docking at Havensight anymore.

Yippee......For those of us who far prefer docking at Havensight, the chances just improved that our HAL ship may be docked there rather than Crown Bay.

Of course, there still remains the possibility of tendering to downtown.

I thought it good news to hear HAL doesn't appear scheduled to be using Crown Bay..... assuming that their news is accurate.

There was a recent thread with a link showing the docks for the remainder of the year. On the date my 11/25 Noordam cruise will be in town, 11/29, the Noordam is scheduled to be at Havenscraft, while the Zuiderdam is scheduled to be at Crown Bay. Obviously, HAL will be using both ports.

The site you reference is http://www.*****

It is possible they will dock as you say or possible the assignments will be changed.

What they list on that site is not guaranteed.

I'm hoping that if Princess is not docking at Havensight, there will be an empty spot for HAL ships that Princess might have used in the past.......thereby pushing HAL to Crown Bay.

Other talk has been: The shops will only be open 6 months of the year - most vendors do not want to open a store for just 6 months of the year.

In the summer months, usually there are only 3 or 4 ships there on any given day --- very rare now. Princess signed to go to Crown Bay but may back out of that deal as in the summer they are being assigned back to Havensight as officials say it is too costly to have 2 ships at Havensight and 1 at Crown Bay.

Hang in there for more news!!

;) In the months between mid April and mid October, HAL isn't in the Caribbean so I have little interest where anyone docks in that time span. I know....selfish. But honest. I'm interested in where HAL docks in St. Thomas and hope it will be Havensight for our cruises.

I really don't like being at Crown Bay.....and certainly would rather not tender. Takes so long to get everyone ashore and back.

Oh, to go back to the days before Havensight -- the only shopping was in Charlotte Amalie, and the ships docked (tied down) along the downtown waterfront. We could just walk off the ship and go to the downtown attractions (Fort, government buildings, synagogue etc) as well as shop -- downtown has gotten much "seedier" since Havensight opened. Havensight is OK if all you wish to do is shop. Personally I do not mind Crown Bay as I seldom do much shopping in St. Thomas. But I admit, for shoppers Havensight is better.

Yes I do like HavenSight much more .

Picking up my WallStreet Journal is important.;) On board it was abismissal in March as the Sat Com was down most of the time.. No Tele..No Internet... Cellular Forgetabout it.... at least I placed everything so it would have my orders done.. The DUK:NYSE did merge that cruise too.. Thank goodness I do not have any naked options when I cruise, except covered calls ...

It looks as our ship will be in first that busy day in that Port of Call near the mall.

They have really improved the pier, also with structural additions ...:D

USVI ! Eye Eye...:eek:

If you were tied up at a long dock that holds about 3 ships at the edge of the harbor. There was a very large shopping area with all sorts of stores/services open and busy. If it took you about 30 minutes to walk downtown to all the streets filled with shops, then you were at Havensight.

There were loads of taxis available to bring you to and from downtown if you didn't wish to walk.

If you were at an area that had buildings for shops but there were not open and stocked and ready for business, you were at Crown Bay.

Vic, I agree with you. First off, it is much better than tendering. I have docked at the sub base- Crown Bay about 3 - 4 times.

The taxis drop you off at the ship. At Havensight they will not. If your ship is docked at the end of the pier you have a very long walk. This can be very difficult for some people.

I can remember many years ago when Havensight had room for only 2 ships!!! And one Christmas, we were all tied together - one ship next to the other one. Just showed your ship card to show that you were "passing" through to get to your own ship. No security issues in those days.

And there weren't any big "MEGA" ships.

Count me in for a "ugh" when it comes to Crown Bay

sorry: don't agree with either Vic or Gizmo

first, it's been a long long long time since it was $2 for a taxi anywhere in St. Thomas

secondly, every taxi I've ever taken back to Havensight will drop you off at the "nearest gate" to your ship bearing in mind the "chain link" features installed since 9/11

bottom line IMO: the only major difference between Crown Bay and Guantanamo Bay is the Marine contingent:D

finally, if history is any indication, Crown Bay might be "up and running" before the end of this decade .. then again, gambling has been on the Horizon for even longer:)

Vpoopsy

95?? - Sounds as though you were at Havensight.

I guess I should remember where we docked, but I don't. I just know that we were in town and could see the boat to the left of where we were. Lots of shops where we were.

I'm with Sea King Havensight vs. Crown Bay .......

We like the walk back from downtown to Havensight. If walking is a problem for you, have the taxi drop you close to the gated area for your ship. We'll wave as you drive by us and we are walking. ;)

We will not/cannot/do not walk to Crown Bay and that takes from our enjoyment of St. Thoma

DH and I don't normally walk both directions but always at least back to the ship unless it is raining.

Currently, there is nothing at Crown Bay except the ship. It's a miserable place to dock IMO

Count me in for a "ugh" when it comes to Crown Bay

sorry: don't agree with either Vic or Gizmo

first, it's been a long long long time since it was $2 for a taxi anywhere in St. Thomas

secondly, every taxi I've ever taken back to Havensight will drop you off at the "nearest gate" to your ship bearing in mind the "chain link" features installed since 9/11

bottom line IMO: the only major difference between Crown Bay and Guantanamo Bay is the Marine contingent:D

finally, if history is any indication, Crown Bay might be "up and running" before the end of this decade .. then again, gambling has been on the Horizon for even longer:)

Since 911 we have NEVER been able to get dropped off at our ship at Havensight. They all dropped us off in the shopping area.

At Crown Bay, they always took us to the ship even after 911.

I don't remember the cost into town but Crown Bay was a buck or two cheaper than Havensight.

We NEVER had a problem getting a taxi to take us back to Crown Bay.

KK, I have never seen a "shuttle" at Havensight. Is this new ?

Different strokes for different folks. I don't need a ton of shops at the dock.

Sails, enjoy your walking while you can. It can be heart breaking being with someone who has difficulty with long walks.

Confused? Why not?

During daylight, with thousands of other cruise guests out and about on the island?

What is your reason for not recommending a nice walk from downtown to Havensight if one is fit and up to it?

Archived