Planning for Alaska 2007 on Coral/Island

deadzone1003

We are planning our vacation for a cruise on the Coral Princess or Island Princess for July 2007. It will be a northbound trip as we are planning to stay in Alaska for a few more days. We are planning on getting a standard balcony cabin. However, I have a few questions that need to be answered before picking a cabin. For Alaska, may I assume that a covered balcony is better than a partially covered or uncovered balcony (because of the weather)? How much of a wind chill factor is there for a balcony in the bump area as oppose to a balcony in the recess area? Which cabins to avoid and which ones are great?

We'll be on the northbound Coral Princess to Alaska June 4, 2007. We booked an inside cabin, so I can't help you with balcony questions. However, here's a great site to help you choose a balcony cabin:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res76zxu/princessbalconies/index.html

For other Alaska questions, come on over to the Alaska Ports of Call board. :)

We're going to be on the Island northbound on July 23.

After checking the website mentioned in previous post, we booked a covered balcony on Baja deck in the middle bumpout section. It's mid-ship and very close to the elevators.

Our reasoning -- the covered balcony will provide SOME protection from the elements, especially rain. Figured the bumpout MIGHT provide better visibility looking each way. We've been on the Sapphire and had a completely exposed balcony and didn't like it all and we were in a warm climate.

We've sailed Alaska previously on the Sun and had a balcony. The Sun's balconies are cut from the hull of the ship so there is a lot of protection from the elements, but visibility is a little hindered unless you are standing at the railing.

Good luck on your decision.

We are planning our vacation for a cruise on the Coral Princess or Island Princess for July 2007. It will be a northbound trip as we are planning to stay in Alaska for a few more days. We are planning on getting a standard balcony cabin. However, I have a few questions that need to be answered before picking a cabin. For Alaska, may I assume that a covered balcony is better than a partially covered or uncovered balcony (because of the weather)? How much of a wind chill factor is there for a balcony in the bump area as oppose to a balcony in the recess area? Which cabins to avoid and which ones are great?

We loved my parent's partially covered balcony on the Carribe deck of the Sapphire. We did have nice weather for the glaciers and the sunshine felt wonderful. You will spend a lot of time standing at the railing, so fully covered would probably be nice if you have a very wet day.

Also, although at the glaciers they turn around for both sides to see and there is scenery usually on both sides, being on the port side (We were southbound you would want the opposite) was great since we saw the mainland during most of the cruise.

Do they have the rear cabins on the Island/Coral with the wrap around balconies? We had friends that had one of these and they loved it since they could see things along the side and also as we were leaving.

You will love Alaska no matter what cabin you pick.

• 4 weeks later...
NancyIL,

We're also going on the Northbound Coral June 4, 2007. It's our 40th wedding anniversary. We've booked a mini suite (C231) to celebrate and we've always wanted to see Alaska. Our good friends are joining us in the next-door mini-suite.

Sue

I finally saw this - almost a month after you posted! I'm glad you started the rollcall for our cruise, too! My husband and I are calling this our 25th anniversary cruise, even though our anniversary isn't until next October.

I was on the Coral Southbound in Sept. I had a balcony room (A614) totally covered. I am so glad that it was totally covered cause I was always out there rain or shine. The weather never bothered me and the rain never hit me. There was a storm one night that made it pretty cold and windy on the balcony but I just wrapped up in a blanket and voile.

We had a great minisuite on the Coral to Alaska (C718) which I recall had a 1/2 covered balcony--this let you be in the sun or not, depending upon the weather. The issue with Alaska weather is that it can be sunny, dry and hot or cold and rainy during midsummer--purely the luck of the draw.

Les

Caribe cabins are the way to go. The extra room really makes a lot of difference. Be careful, there are a few rooms on Caribe that are not the larger size. The website mentioned already has very useful info about balconies.

Another piece of advice---the laundry is almost to the very back of the ship AND, there is a balcony across the aft of the ship and on Caribe, there are quite a few loungers. We enjoyed Glacier Bay from there--no blue glass to try to look through. It is VERY handy to be fairly close to both.

We had C624 and C626 and loved the location.

At the front of the Caribe deck are doors posted "Crew Only". When the ship is stopped in Glacier Bay, you can go in there and have a lot better view with less people.

Usually there are two shows with two showings. If you eat early for Anytime or the first seating during Traditional (we loved having the same waiters, tablemates, table every night) you will be able to see both shows. If you eat later or during the 2nd seating you have to choose which show you'll see during the last show time.

We loved the Island---just so elegant and, except for the buffet, it never felt crowded. I know you'll love her too.

We were on on the Island in July 05 with a covered balcony---A324. Highly recommend a covered balcony because you can use it rain or shine and the weather can be very iffy in Alaska. No problem with wind. Loved the location, although Baja might be a little better. There was a little noise from above early when the crew was putting the loungers out.

Great cruise. Great ship. Loved Alaska.

Archived