Live From The Crown Princess Sept 30 Sailing

TorontoTL

Today was an almost perfect day in Grand Turk. Except for a 2 minute rainfall the weather was sunny and warm with temperatures of about 30 *C or 86 *F. We spent the day at the beach which is right at the dock and a great view of the beautiful Crown. The sand is white and soft except for the usual few shells and coral mixed in. The water was about 30 *c and so warm and clear. Just watch out for the rocks in the water. It is so worth it to swim in though. Oh about snorkelling. There isn't all that much to see near the ship, I heard both good and bad about the snorkelling on the island. It sounds to me that there are better islands for that.

Today we had our first lunch in the dining room. You must have the osso bucco, it was so good. It was so tender and delicious and served on top of risotto. We followed it up with cappucinos from the International cafe which was hopping today with the pasteries in the morning and in the afternoon. We spoke with a nice couple from Atlanta that were having these chocolate treats from the International Cafe. They were a few dollars but they told us that they were totally worth it. They apparently were small chocolate pyramids and filled with ice cream....sounds good to me. Maybe I'll have one another time when I'm in the mood for a fix of chocolate and ice cream. How could you not love that combination?

Tonight Sarge is performing his last three shows so I think we have to see him. Evenyone on the ship keeps telling me that he is so funny that I think we can't miss his show.

Oh forgot to mention that despite Princess' official change in alcohol policy, I spoke with several passengers who said that they were still able to bring multiple bottles of wine and liqour onboard. One guy told me that he put them in his carry on so they saw them when they scanned it to get on the ship in Red Hook. Just an FYI. I don't bother to bring my own wine anymore, even with the recent price changes the wine prices are still very good compared with land based restaurants and other cruiselines. I figure Princess needs to make some money on me.:D My father is now hanging over my shoulder wanting to use my computer so I better run. Plus I have to burn off some of todays food so I can stuff myself again during dinner. Bye for now.

Hi Benny. Your posts are so good, it almost feels like being there. Generoso is a great Maitre d', and he has quite a fan club. We were talking about a cruise on Crown in March. I suppose it is unlikely that he will still be there. You did not mention the Captain's cocktail. Was it nice? Do they do it in the atrium? Who is the captain by the way?

But Brian wants me to stay slim for my grass skirt for the Hawaii cruise in April, so I better not have seconds on desert.

Have two, Benny…have two. You’ve got plenty of time to get back into grass-skirt shape by April.

Oh I forgot to mention something that is really silly but makes a big difference to many I would think. We all mention about how small the showers are in the regular cabins. Well, they didn't make them any larger but there is now more useable space. Remember how ackwardly the grab handle is located in the shower? It is always directly infront of you when you walk into the shower, right where you want to be able to stand. Well they finally got it right on this ship. When you walk in, it is on the right handside right up near the shower curtain. With this new and improved location you can actually stand infront of the spray of water without either injuring yourself on the grabhandle or making love to the shower curtain. Although I have to admit it used to make me feel loved that the curtain wanted to touch me so much but I guess it's better to not have the curtain loving you. Silly but improved.

Hi Benny. Your posts are so good, it almost feels like being there. Generoso is a great Maitre d', and he has quite a fan club. We were talking about a cruise on Crown in March. I suppose it is unlikely that he will still be there. You did not mention the Captain's cocktail. Was it nice? Do they do it in the atrium? Who is the captain by the way?

The Captain's cocktail party was in the Piazza. Very nice as usual with lots of drinks for everyone. I know I mentioned the piazza before but I have to mention it again. So much better than in previous Grand class ships. It really is a great place to hang out. There is entertainment...live acts like magic, comedy, live music like the pianist and string quartets...great food and drinks as well. You really could enjoy yourselves for a few hours there. We have met so many people on this cruise just by sitting and chatting with people while eating a nice pastry from the Cafe...yummy. I can't remember the Captains name, I'm sorry, if I remember I'll check on the Patter and post it later. Off to dinner.:D

Hi we are on the Crown 10-18 sailing, I didn't hear about any change in the alcohol policy! :confused: I've already bought my wine... or does it have to do with hard liquor? Please advise on what the change in policy is.

Your wonderful postings from onboard are making me very anxious to leave!!!:D

Hi we are on the Crown 10-18 sailing, I didn't hear about any change in the alcohol policy! :confused: I've already bought my wine... or does it have to do with hard liquor? Please advise on what the change in policy is.

Great review - I am enjoying this each day.

Is there any way anyone can find out when Sarge will be back on Princess after this cruise and what ship? I had heard he would be back in November (and that his website info wasn't correct about what ships). I'd love to know if he'll be on the Crown for the Nov. 4 cruise.

Hello, Benny and warm greetings to you at sea. Really good of you to post yet another "live from" thread. I always enjoy them.

If you get a chance, would you ask around and find out if Magdalena (I think her last name is Jacobi) from Poland has been assigned to the Crown? She was a most delightful waitress (anytime dining) onboard the CB this past January and had confided that she wished to be transferred to the Crown.

Looking forward to your posts throughout the week. Maybe we can meet in Toronto when DH and I come for the ballet in December.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I believe that there is a new policy that states that one can bring one bottle of wine per passenger on to the ship. This being said I know of more than one person who brought more than that with Princesses knowledge as they had brought it on with their carry on luggage. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as with many things they don't always enforce their policies. Sometimes that can work to your advantage as in this case.

Hi Benny - I am enjoying your updates!

I hope you are having someone tape "the Biggest Loser" on Wednesday so you can see if you made it on the big screen from our Sapphire cruise. Glad you are enjoying the Crown!

Absolutely stuffed now after dinner. Ate way too much. Tonight was Italian night in the dining room althought they don't officially call it that anymore. One thing Princess should do is change the uniforms for Italian night. Not sure if you agree but the form fitting shirts aren't all that complimentary on some of the "larger" waiters. I prefer the wait staff when they wear their suits. Then again I really shouldn't complain, I don't own a suit! I know some of you will hate me but I wear a very nice shirt and tie to formal night. So far no one has ever said anything to me, even Generoso came over to us on formal night to say hi and he didn't say anything either. We chatted with Claudio and Godwin tonight too. I can't believe the number of staff that we know from previous cruises. It really feels like home on Princess ships when the staff remember you and remember where you're from. They never cease to amaze me. Getting back to my overeating, I had the seafood salad, melon with prosciutto, minestrone soup and the pasta with rabbit ragout. Italian night was never my favourite menu but it was very good tonight. For dessert I had the tiramisu which was done to perfection tonight. Jorge our waiter keeps bringing us extra desserts which we of course all try eventhough we're always stuffed by then. Tonight he brought us a triple ice cream dessert and a fruit dessert that was baked in the creme brulee dish. Sorry that I don't remember the names but they were good too although the ice cream one was too sweet for me tastes. They have continued to be great with special requests as my father is addicted to papaya and they keep bringing him as many slices as he wants for dessert. My parnter doesn't want to go to a show tonight so I guess we're going to miss Sarge afterall. I think we're going to head to the hot tub instead. Not that there is anything wrong with that. Roughing it on the Crown Princess. I'll report back tomorrow from San Juan.

Thank you so much for continuing this post. I'm going to be hopping aboard when you come off next Monday. You hear so many mixed messages I'm thrilled your trip is going well. I can't imagine it not going well though, it is a vacation after all!

So Sarge is definitely leaving the ship? Can't you tell him to wait for me??

I heard so many great things about him. This trip was booked last January and it was hard enough waiting for her to sail so someone could start talking about the ship.

I"m taking several newbies to cruising with me, it sounds like they'll be as blown away as I want them to be.

ENJOY

Excellent work Benny with the posts. I just wish somebody would get the definite answer as to whether or not Sarge will be back for the 10/09 sailing, I'll keep my fingers crossed. Also, I was wondering if you could comment on the poolside entertainment. Do they have a calypso band or is it(as I like to refer to as) The Princess One Man Band?????? When my wife and I sailed on the Sea Princess in February of this year the poolside entertainment consisted of one person singing to pre-recorded music backround........it was horrible and perfect display of cutting costs. Also, when the one man band wasn't playing, there was no music at all by the pool. Anyway, continue having a great time and I will look forward to your response.

Benny.....one last special request. If possible can you find out if there is a waitor by the name of Manuel Lopes da Cunha from Portugal on board. He is the best and the last we spoke he said he might go to the Crown. His email has changed and we have lost touch. If you can find out if he is onboard we will definitely reserve him for the entire cruise. Thanks again..........

thanks for the review. great attitude. nice to see a very positive review. have some questions.

1. is the Sanctuary still charging $15 for 1/2 day?

2. did they open outdoor seating at sabatini's restaurant?

3. do you buy your internet tickets at the pursers desk?

4. your thoughts on the coffee?

5. the thing you are most pleasantly surprised by (not counting the shower handle)?

THanks Benny...we'll be on board on the 18th..... I'm interested in hearing about the sanctuary too...I haven't really read much on it. I copied and pasted many of your tips! Appreciate it all. Janie

hey BENNY!! I was a photographer on the crown from May19-Sep12 and I am on vacation now back home (yay!) I just wanted to thank you for your compliment earlier about the staff on the ship and how great they are. Its hard for Crew to read anything on cruisecritic while on the ships (because the internet is so darn expensive, even for crew hahaha) but we do know compliments DO happen from time to time...and for your comment on how well everyone was doing since the list...I went through a tough time personally after the list but I am much better now....so from me personally, thank you.

Also, I know you have had a lot of requests from others at home to say hi to people on the ship, but if you could add one more from myself that would be fantastic. If you could just tell Rory or Chris in the photo gallery that Mike says hi, that would really make my day. Its just as easy for me to email them, but a hand delivered message is much better. Maybe buy a photo or two while your at it (haha...just kidding... i am on vacation and STILL trying to sell LOL) ...back to the couch I go heehee

have an amazing cruise buddy!

Cheers,

M

Hi Benny.

Loving your posts.I think the Crown will have to be our next cruise.If you can when you see Captn Crunch and Sharon could you tell them Lee says Hello and that the 4-1 rollcall misses them.

Thanks

Lee

I believe that there is a new policy that states that one can bring one bottle of wine per passenger on to the ship. This being said I know of more than one person who brought more than that with Princesses knowledge as they had brought it on with their carry on luggage. I wouldn't worry about it too much, as with many things they don't always enforce their policies. Sometimes that can work to your advantage as in this case.

I saw this too and then looked up my contract and it doesn't say that in the contract (yet) so I will make sure that if I bring more than one bottle and they say something I will show them the actual contract.

Hi Benny

great reading your reviews, we sail on the Crown 9 Oct and cannot wait to taste all these lovely goodies you keep mentioning, especially anything that is chocolate,, keep up the good work... we havnt decided on what trips to do at each stop, so any ideas would be great.

Sue

Archived