Live From The Crown Princess Sept 30 Sailing

TorontoTL

hey BENNY!! I was a photographer on the crown from May19-Sep12 and I am on vacation now back home (yay!) I just wanted to thank you for your compliment earlier about the staff on the ship and how great they are. Its hard for Crew to read anything on cruisecritic while on the ships (because the internet is so darn expensive, even for crew hahaha) but we do know compliments DO happen from time to time...and for your comment on how well everyone was doing since the list...I went through a tough time personally after the list but I am much better now....so from me personally, thank you.

Also, I know you have had a lot of requests from others at home to say hi to people on the ship, but if you could add one more from myself that would be fantastic. If you could just tell Rory or Chris in the photo gallery that Mike says hi, that would really make my day. Its just as easy for me to email them, but a hand delivered message is much better. Maybe buy a photo or two while your at it (haha...just kidding... i am on vacation and STILL trying to sell LOL) ...back to the couch I go heehee

have an amazing cruise buddy!

Cheers,

M

Mike, I'll be boarding the ship on 11/4 and will be happy to say hello for you. I've seen your phots on line and you are an incredibly talented photographer. Hope you enjoy the rest of your time off.

Carolyn

Chris, let me know before you come to Toronto. Perhaps we can meet up for drinks or something.

Benny,

With the National Ballet's move to the new theatre this season, we didn't purchase our usual mini-series. Instead, we will see "The Nutcracker" on Friday, December 29, 5:30PM and "Don Quixote" on Sunday, June 24 at 2:00PM. We stay at the downtown Marriott. We've been going to Oro for dinner since we discovered it a few years ago - absolute perfection and a quick walk to/from the hotel.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

For those interested in contacting someone on the ship or finding out about Sarge, you might want to consider emailing the ship and putting the person's name in the title. As you likely know crownprincess@princesscruises.com is the email. I'm really bad with names and by the time I walk away from the computer I've forgotten your requests....sorry.

thanks for the review. great attitude. nice to see a very positive review. have some questions.

1. is the Sanctuary still charging $15 for 1/2 day?

2. did they open outdoor seating at sabatini's restaurant?

3. do you buy your internet tickets at the pursers desk?

4. your thoughts on the coffee?

5. the thing you are most pleasantly surprised by (not counting the shower handle)?

Regarding the music by the pool, I don't spend much time at the Calypso or Neptune's pools so all I can comment on is when I've walked by. There always seems to be music of some kind there. I have seen the one man band but he did seem quite good, but again I was just walking by.

The Sanctuary is still charging $15 per 1/2 day. I would suggest to Princess that they offer a discounted rate for port days. The outdoor seating is there at Sabatini's and I've seen people sitting there but I haven't gone by at dinner time to see if anyone is eating there. I have platinum status so I get free internet on the ships. I'm not sure how to purchase internet tickets, in fact I'm not sure that you need to. If you are using the internet cafe you just sign on with your card and you get charged $0.35 per min. The coffee is fine in the dining rooms, not great in the buffets and there is brewed coffee at the International Cafe that is good. Don't forget that if you like specialty coffees you can purchase the coffee card that also gets you unlimited free brewed coffee except the Jamaican blue Mountain. The thing that surprised me the most about this ship is how different it feels from all the other Grand Class ships that I've been on. There is an elegance that the other ships do not have.

Today we are in San Juan. I just got back from shore and had a lovely day in the heat walking around the old town. We docked at Pier 4 which is a short walk from everything really. We did take a city tour as well to get our bearings but in the end it wasn't needed. The old town is easy to get around and hard to get lost in. There is quite a bit of shopping there for those interested. It was overcast today and that made it a bit more comfortable. We've continued to get great service from the staff who we are getting to know better day by day. They are quick with the hellos and may I help you. I haven't noticed rudeness out of the ordinary from the other passengers yet on this cruise. One funny thing that happened is that the supplier for toilet tissues did not deliver on the first day! Thus the ship is running out of toilet tissue. They are putting boxes of klennex out to replace the toilet paper that they should be getting onboard at the next port St. Thomas. Thank goodness there isn't an outbreak of norovirus on this sailing. I don't know what they would do if there was.

Just waiting for my parents before dinner tonight. Once again lovely music from a string quartet wafting in from the Piazza. I mentioned the free vs non free food at the International Cafe. I forgot to mention the delicious looking tapas they have in the evenings. They are $4 for four or $3 for three pieces. They look so yummy but after dinner I'm too stuffed to eat anymore. In the evenings they still have desserts which seem to change everyday. Vines selection of seafood choices and sushi also changes on a daily basis. Yesterday the sushi included some bbq eel..yummy.

The Piazza really is one on the highlights of this ship. It is so lively and entertaining with things going on most of the time there. Now with food available along with drinks 24 hrs a day it is so much better than on any of the other ships. You could spend hours there and not get bored. You will meet so many people and staff there and have nice conversations with people. Then again if you don't leave you might not be able to fit into your shower because the smells of the freshly baked cookies and pasteries will keep you going back for more! So don't stay too long. Off to dinner. We will be docking in Crown Bay tomorrow in St. Thomas.

Once again an excellent dinner. The blue crab and melon balls for the appetizer was great. There is a new exotic fruit cold soup that is wonderful. I had the red snapper which was excellent as well. You must have the meringue and the cafe latte ice cream for dessert. All for now going to Motor City show.

I forgot to mention the delicious looking tapas they have in the evenings. They are $4 for four or $3 for three pieces. They look so yummy but after dinner I'm too stuffed to eat anymore.

Just wondering if the tapas are available before dinner? Sounds like a nice place for a pre-appetizer, appetizer. :p

Well goodmorning from the Crown....we are now docked in Crown Bay. We're off to Magen's Bay today since there may only be us and one other ship in St. Thomas today so it shouldn't be too busy. I will report back later as to what the area around the ship is like after I'm back.

Motor City was a great show. I wonder if someone new is in charge of the shows because these two have both been the best Princess Production shows that I've ever seen. The dance troop and the singers are outstanding. In particular Patrick Dobs (sp) is really talented. I remember him from previous sailings. The crew continue to work really hard to please. Last night I was in Crooner's enjoying the atmophere in the upper atrium. The waitress came over with the drinks menu. I decided that I wanted to have one of the wines by the glass that was only offered from Vines cafe which is two levels down. I said I'd go down and order there since they didn't have the wine in Crooners. She insisted and going down to get me the menu. She came back up from the Plaza deck menu in hand. I ordered a lovely glass of the La Crema Pinot Noir. She then had to go all the way back down two levels to order the wine and then bring it back up! She went beyond her call of duty. I never expected her to do all of that for me. She was wonderful and the wine was a wonderful fruity new world style pinot noir....very nice change from the usual Mondavi Pinot by the glass. Once again the crew amaze me.

A couple more differences I've noticed. The dining rooms have changed somewhat. The wood tones are darker, there are no longer raised areas, and the use of glass dividers is also different. Overall the feeling is once again more elegant. Much more thought and detail have been put into the design of this ship. Believe it or not, I think this is now my favourite Princess ship, it has surpassed the Coral which I didn't think was possible. There have been so many times when I would think, where are the other 3000 passengers? There really have been few times when it feels any more crowded than any other ship I've been on. The design really keeps people spread throughout the ship better than on the other Grand Class ships. In fact, the Sun Class ships felt more crowded to me than this ship does. I'm really impressed with the design, I'm hoping they continue some of their new interior design ideas in a new class of ship in the future.

Ok all for now, time to go to Magen's Bay.

look forward to your report on Magens Bay as we are thinking of going - thanks again for all your reports,,,,,,,

A couple more differences I've noticed. The dining rooms have changed somewhat. The wood tones are darker, there are no longer raised areas, and the use of glass dividers is also different. Overall the feeling is once again more elegant. Much more thought and detail have been put into the design of this ship. Believe it or not, I think this is now my favourite Princess ship, it has surpassed the Coral which I didn't think was possible. There have been so many times when I would think, where are the other 3000 passengers? There really have been few times when it feels any more crowded than any other ship I've been on. The design really keeps people spread throughout the ship better than on the other Grand Class ships. In fact, the Sun Class ships felt more crowded to me than this ship does. I'm really impressed with the design, I'm hoping they continue some of their new interior design ideas in a new class of ship in the future.

look forward to your report on Magens Bay as we are thinking of going - thanks again for all your reports,,,,,,,

Rob I'm glad you're enjoying my posts. I can't figure out why the reviews have been so either positive or negative with so little in between. Perhaps because the Crown is so new some people had excessive expectations? I don't know. I can't believe how many people didn't apparently enjoy themselves on this ship from the posts I read here before I sailed. I went into this being a bit concerned because of the posts and worried that my partner wouldn't like it because he is a small ship person. Even he admitted that this is his favourite ship so far as well. His previous favourite was the Dawn and he can't believe how much nicer this ship is as well. Oh well, to each his / her own. I think this is a great ship.

I know Brian doesn't like big ships, but if he was to try a big ship I think this is a great one to try. Even with the MUTS. It is very easy to avoid if it isn't your thing. The Adult only pools are all so far away from the MUTS pool that you get that nice relaxing silence with just soft music in the background. Maybe Brian would even like it.

The International Cafe is open 24 hrs a day, it never closes. In fact this is the only Princess ship I'm aware of that the Buffet doesn't open 24 hrs. In the middle of the night go to the International Cafe for a bite to eat not the buffet.

So back from St. Thomas and sailaway should be in 30 minutes. Had a nice day here. We are the only cruise ship in St. Thomas today so it was the perfect day to go to Magen's Bay which we did. A nine dollar taxi ride later we were there. I have been to St. T many times in the past and never really liked it until today. Magen's Bay with only one cruise ship is the perfect way to spend a few hours at a beach. Wonderful soft sandy beach and clear warm water. You can rent a chair/lounge/floatation mat etc. for several dollars or just lie on the beach. We then grabbed a cab back to the town to have a coffee and browse the usual shops. We walked back to Crown Bay to get the ship rather than paying for a cab. It was a 20-30 mins walk depending on how quickly you walk. At Crown Bay there are many buildings that will eventually house many stores just like in Havensight. However, none of the stores are open yet. If you want to shop you will need to grab a cab into town or walk. Cabs are about $4 to go into town.

I know Brian doesn't like big ships, but if he was to try a big ship I think this is a great one to try. Even with the MUTS. It is very easy to avoid if it isn't your thing. The Adult only pools are all so far away from the MUTS pool that you get that nice relaxing silence with just soft music in the background. Maybe Brian would even like it.

Hey now – its not that I don’t like big ships…I enjoyed my time on both Grand and Star Princesses – it’s just that I prefer smaller ones. Now if they do the Crown treatment on a 2000 passenger ship, I’m there.

I think you’ve confirmed that the attempt to redesign Caribbean Princess to something more akin to the Princess experience has happened on Crown Princess. It’s great that the additional passengers don’t seem to overcrowd the ship and right – I think the design characteristics of Crown Princess facilitate that. If Princess is able to provide a small ship experience on something as big as Crown Princess, then kudos to them. That’s my cruise line.

As for MUTS…I’m glad it isn't intrusive and I would think that the institution of the head phones for daytime viewing would help keep it that way. I still don't get the attraction, but as you say, to each his own.

But this doesn’t mean you’re giving up on “smaller” ships, right? You’re not going to wait for Diamond Princess to go to Hawaii? :D Do I need to talk to Fabian???

Don't worry Brian we still intend on sailing with you guys on the Island April 26, 2007. I for one still love the Coral / Island ships eventhough I think the Crown is great. I think that Hawaii cruise will be loads of fun with you guys onboard.....Fabian now thinks the Island / Coral are a bit plain looking. Shame on him, I still think they're great designs.

Off to sailaway now!!

Archived