The Crown Bay in St. Thomas

TorontoTL

Just back from the Crown Princess cruise that docked in the Crown Bay in St. Thomas. As I've posted while on the ship, the area is complete in terms of buildings, but they are all empty without any stores there at all.

Here are a few pictures that I took for those who are interested in seeing what the are looks like.

DSC03492sm.JPG.ca8c671a167b6d0d2ca13fe9e11ba58d.JPG

DSC03542sm.JPG.e4aadc3e66e845bc804d4e8e3c45f004.JPG

DSC03543sm.JPG.0caa19abc1b635c21f9e945d0a4c0459.JPG

DSC03546sm.JPG.a7fcf5dcc86db5dcf4494652e359fd97.JPG

Thanks for posting the photos. Are there any stores, like grocery stores, near there?

Actaully we did pass a grocery store that was quite near the docking area. It was on the street leading to the main street that then brings you along the waterfront to downtown. I saw other pax and crew coming out of it as I was walking back to the ship.

We docked there Last Oct on a HAL cruise and they had just about finished the buildings. Sorry to see that no one has moved in yet.

And to answer a previous question, yes, the tour buses and taxis are there when they know a ship is coming in.

Mike

Seems nice enough to me! Thanks for posting the pics. :) We will be docking there in January.

We have a taxi pick up pre-arranged so we won't have to worry about getting one, but I suspect taxi drivers will be available in good supply shortly if they aren't already. Nothing like 3000 potential customers to encourage you to wait there!

The Crown Princess scheduled arrival time in St. Thomas at the Crown Bay Dock on Sunday, Nov 26, 2006 is at 07:00AM. We have a 6 hour private excursion planned for the day and we need to know what time to have someone pick us up in their boat at American Yacht Harbor located in Red Hook, St. Thomas. How much time should we allow between arrival and getting to American Yacht Harbor on the water side near Burrito Bay Deli under the huge flagpole?

The Crown Princess scheduled arrival time in St. Thomas at the Crown Bay Dock on Sunday, Nov 26, 2006 is at 07:00AM. We have a 6 hour private excursion planned for the day and we need to know what time to have someone pick us up in their boat at American Yacht Harbor located in Red Hook, St. Thomas. How much time should we allow between arrival and getting to American Yacht Harbor on the water side near Burrito Bay Deli under the huge flagpole?

Last time in St Thomas, it took the cab 20 minutes to get from Havensite to Red Hook. From Crown Bay, I'd add another 10 minutes. Problem is you won't know exactly what time they will allow passengers to leave the ship. My guess would be to plan for 7:30. Good luck!

Its been a few years since I took the trip over to Red Hook for the ferry to St Johns, but if I remember correctly, from Havensite it was about 45 min at peak traffic time (when the ships are unloading). I would allow a minimum of an hour from Crown to Red Hook. And don't count on being able to get off the ship for an hour or so after it docks. I would say 8:30 or so is about when you could get off the ship. I would contact the person you are doing the trip with and see if they have any idea how long it might take from Crown to Red Hook, but I would at least allow an hour.

Mike

Does anyone know if the new dock is within easy walking distance (20 minutes or less) from where the ferry leaves to go from Charlotte Amalie to St. John (not the Red Hook ferry, the ferry that leaves from the main waterfront area in town)? Seems like it should be, but I don't know how far west it is.

Thanks!

Captain Pat?

I'll let you know when we get back - we'll be docking at Crown Bay on the Sun this coming Saturday morning, then will head for the flagpole ourselves.

Thanks augie. I'll watch this thread for another reply from you.

Seems nice enough to me! Thanks for posting the pics. :) We will be docking there in January.

We have a taxi pick up pre-arranged so we won't have to worry about getting one, but I suspect taxi drivers will be available in good supply shortly if they aren't already. Nothing like 3000 potential customers to encourage you to wait there!

How do you pre-arrange a taxi pick up here?

PescadoAmarillo it might be 20 min at an all out run, but it is not that close. From Crown ay to Havensite is roughly 3 miles. It took us 20 min in a van last year at the peak tourist time.

Mike

Well......drats. But thanks very much for the quick reply! I guess I have yet to determine the good part of this new pier (other than relieving crowding, which I would just as soon not have anyways).

Until last year, we always docked at Havensight. I think that's the place you're thinking of, Melani, with lots of shops right there at the dock. We docked at Crown Bay last year. As others have mentioned, there are a couple of shops nearby--a large grocery store about 3/4 of a mile away and a shop at the marina just a few blocks away.

We stayed on the ship during the morning and ventured out after lunch. There were plenty of taxis--more than enough, since we were just walking to the grocery store.

We were docked there for our first time one week ago today on CB (Sigh...). There were plenty of taxis and tour operators available, they know where the ships are docked. Name of the store is Pueblos, within walking distance, but we asked driver to wait for us on the way back from Red Hook. They had anything you might want. If you take a right out of the terminal it is on the left in a few blocks. We did the daysail Fantasy with another couple off the CB. We shared a driver, the daysail and really were so lucky. The sail to St John was fabulous, the four of us became good friends, and enjoyed dinners and each other's company, and Captain Pam on the Fantasy gave us a perfect, memorable day. Have a great time, we did!

Guest Jaxmania

Thanks Comfortcove (What an interesting name- sounds so relaxing)

With your info we 'll just wait until we dock and go with one of the tour operators at Crown Bay. We have always had a good tour doing this and they usually go the opposite direction from the ship tour so the stops aren't as crowded. We've met some really interesting drivers who enjoy talking about their island.

• 2 weeks later...
Captain Pat?

I'll let you know when we get back - we'll be docking at Crown Bay on the Sun this coming Saturday morning, then will head for the flagpole ourselves.

You posted that reply to this post of mine:

Did you go to this flagpole in St. Thomas and what time did you get there? What time did your cruise ship get to St. Thomas?

Archived