Mariner of the Seas 10-8 thru 10-15-06 review

edpeeks

It is Wednesday and things have settled down dince coming back on Sunday from the Mariner. Booked a spring cruise last night to take care of the post-cruise blues. The Mariner was another good cruise. We arrived at Port Canaveral about 10:30. Unpacked in the parking garage after paying the $84. for that privilege. Embarking always brings out the aggresiveness in me. (Thus we arrive too early). On every cruise (17 so far) the embarking procedure is just a little different. The metal detector was fast. We went upstairs and waited a good 45 minutes before we lined up to check in. By that time a "mush" of passengers (not a line or any order) had assembled and I was turning into George Costanza. Same thing happened to get on the ship (George is getting a little crazy here!) A couple in our party arrive shortly before noon and said they walked right on board. I am probably going to start to arrive around that time. You know there is an initial glut of people and once that glut gets processed, you probably can walk right on board.

Here are some "overalls"...the ship was nice, the food in the dining room was just OK, Windjammers food was better than other ships buffets (the salad bar was the bomb), the dinner staff was good, Virginia kept bringing us extras after the first night, the Promenade Cafe always had very tasty sandwiches, the cookies (overall) were too crunchy for me (that, of course, didn't stop me), gym was good rarely crowded, Capt. Johnny was great! I have never commented on a Captain of a ship in a review before but this guy knows how to be personable. He is everywhere, plays the crowd and I feel that his lightness permeates the crew. You will enjoy him!

Labadee was nice. It is much bigger than what you think it is going to be, so be adventureous and find a posted map and pick your spot. There are tippable guys there to help you. Go to the far side if you want waves. Don't pay $15/hour for the iceburg, wait until you are at Paradise Beach in Cozumel and pay $8. for the whole day for everything!

Here, however, is what you MUST DO...the jet ski excursion. It is $89. for one rider and $20. for the passenger. Those who want to go fast are up front, slower riders are progressively put in the back of the line. Go to the front! We were #1 and #2 and it was full throttle all of the time. We stayed out longer than what they said we would. You do follow-the-leader and it was a blast. (Maybe the best thing we did on the cruise!) In other places throughout the week there was jet ski rentals, but it did not appeal since you simply go back and forth in a designated area.

Jamicia, Mon! Dunn's River Falls climbing was not easy. I would not recommend trying this excursion unless you are relatively fit. I realize it is a matter of attitude, but I couldn't decide whether it was an ordeal or an adventure! Speaking of Jamicia, we used Phil Layfette. He was great. He alluded to some negativity on these boards, but he was very accomodating, right on time and very reasonable. Use Phil, and he will sing for you!! The river tubing with his excursion was great. Good current, excellent helpers in the river. Jumping off the cliff was cool. It was a good day.

Grand Cayman. Seven Mile Beach was beautiful. My wife commented that it was the prettiest beach we had been on in all of our cruising. She may be right.

Cozumel. Paradise Beach (as mentioned above) was well worth the money. The nachos and tacos were good. It gets a little crowded in the P.M. of course. The taxi ride was $24. for 6 of us one way.

Entertainment was OK. We did not go to any singing or dancing shows. We usually played cards on Deck 14 at night.

At sea days were usualy spent in the Solarium. It was quiet in that area.

There were not many negatives. One was the soft serve machine was the only one. They never had the other up and running. We missed having the 24-hour pizza as they have on Carnival and the hamburger and hot dogs outside. And my Father-in-Law missed the Deli. The French Fries (I know this sounds lame but...) were probably the best I have had anywhere!

The waters were very calm the whole week. Sunny too! We wished they would supply more than just shampoo for the showers. (Yes, they did supply a bar of soap).

Disembarkation was smooth until we got stopped because the kid's room tips had not been put on ours and we had not fully realized that it was not set up the way we thought we had set it up. Probably my fault. If you want to get off early, get the Beige luggage tags.

If you have any specific questions, please ask. At the most, I'll give you a direct answer; at the worst, I'll give you my opinion. Happy Cruising!!!!!!

Thanks for the review. Sounds like you had a great time. I guess though I am confused about stopping you because you didn't tip for your kids. Did they stop everyone who didn't tip? I realize in your case, you made a mistake, but it is interesting if they stop all non-tippers.

Katie

Thanks for posting your review. We are on the Mariner Nov 12 (Eastern) and plan on having a great time.

What cabin were you in? We are 8588 (our first balcony). How was your cabin steward?

I always bring my own soap and shampoo as I can only use certain things so it never crossed my mind that they would even have them.

No, they did not stop "non-tippers". They were stopping anyone with an account question. We had just never not had the kid's bill automatically put on ours, especially because we do not authorize them to make charges on thier ship card.

We had cabin #6376. A standard balcony. It was very quiet and convenient to the dining room and the promenade deck.

I had mentioned that I had just booked another cruise. While on board I went to the business place on 6 and had them price future cruises. No bargains and there were cheaper prices on the internet. I never have gotten why one would rebook on board when other venues seem to be better.

Oh yeah, don't miss the ice show.

Didn't the Promenade cafe serve Pizza????

Glad to hear you enjoyed your trip on the Mariner, I'm looking forward to mine.

We are also looking forward to our cruise on March 18th 2007 aboard Mariner of the Seas. During our last cruise I ended up filming Mariner of the Seas from the deck of Celebrity Millennium. Not knowing that I was going to book a cruise on Mariner. That video maes for some good looking when I decide to look at Mariner ahaead of time. She's a gorgeous looking ship and we can't wait for our shot at her.:D Hurry up March !!!!

edpeeks - You mention kids, but no Adventure Ocean. Did your kids use Adventure Ocean while they were on Mariner? If yes, how did they like it and do you have compasses from Adventure Ocean that you can share? We're on Mariner's Nov 19 sailing with 8 & 11 year old.

Unfortunately for our kids, 13 & 15, they did not participate in hardly any organized activities. Supposedly, "there were not many kids on the ship" that week and they would go to the activities listed in the Compass and then come back saying no one else showed up.

It is unfortunate in that I have decided not to take the kids on any more cruises until they get over their "teenage angst". I had specifically picked Mariner and payed the extra money (over a Carnival cruise (the military discount is significant)). But alas, they spent most of their time in their room "bored".

I do not know whether it is worth "hauling" the kids with us, knowing that it is really us, my wife and I, who enjoy cruising so much. I was told by a friend whose children are older that the kids would have been just as happy at Myrtle Beach. We are going to test that theory and for the foreseeable future; cruising is for DW & me!

EdPeeks,

The reason I book onboard is that there is an onboard credit given for new bookings. It doesn't matter what the price is that RCI gives, if there is a better price on the internet for the same cruise, you could book onboard, then transfer the booking to a TA. As long as the booking number remains the same, you still keep the onboard credit.

We do this all the time. The onboard credit for us is $100 for a 7 day cruise so it's worth it to do it that way if you are planning another cruise. We always transfer the booking and whatever perks your TA gives you, you get in addition to the onboard credit. Hope that makes sense.

Katie

Archived