ebslc

A feast for your eyes - food + port photos from our Infinity Panama Canal Cruise

CC friends,

I have assembled food photos we took during our Panama Cruise on the Infinity a few weeks ago. It's still under construction - captions are not all there yet.

http://picasaweb.google.com/ebslcc/FeastingOnTheCelebrityInfinity

I have other photo albums from our cruise under construction http://picasaweb.google.com/ebslcc. Huatulco and Puntarenas Costa Rica albums are pretty much complete.

It's best to click on the slideshow, full screen photos will play on your computer with caption. You can adjust the speed of the playback clicking on the + and - icons.

Some of the captions have live links to info elsewhere to help you if you are planning your trip. If you are interested in the live links, click on an individual picture in the index page and then click on the link.

BTW, Picasa is FREE from Google, it's a great digital photo organizer, it has simple and intuative photo correction tools, you can get 250MB web space for sharing your photos. No, I don't work for Google - I wish, I heard they serve great cruise quality food in their cafeteria.

Enjoy!!

Laurence

Laurence

This is my type of food exceptionaly good photos, my wife Eluned and I will be passing through the Panama Canal next March on our Ruby Wedding aboard the Infinity from Fort Lauderdale to San Diego

David

The food looks wonderful. I am not sure hubby will appreciate all the green stuff and vegetables. He does not eat any vegetables at all - do they serve up the whole plate or do they let you serve yourself of the pots and veg.

But I guess on the first night once he says no vegetables then the waiter will remember.

Thanks again for such wonderful photos.

Was your waiter Mirko? I am looking at picture #74 in the food album and that looks like him - he was our waiter on our Infinity Panama Canal cruise back in April.

:D Good morning, Laurence.

Many thanks for such an interesting photo display. Well done !!!

We're also using Charlie Soto in Puntareans during our upcoming Full transit Panama cruise on MERCURY 8th Dec from SanDiego. I'd appreciate your comments on his organisation and himself, since you appear to have taken a full 7-8+hours tour .

The quality of your pix is superb.

Gratias !!

Cheers

Claude G

;)

Those pictures brought back thoughts from our Infinity cruise in April. Had my picture taken with Chef Oswald. Just loved his German accent.

Claude, we used Charlie Soto last November while on the Galaxy. We were on the Caribbean side of Costa Rica, and did an all day tour. Was the best excursion of our cruise. Be sure to pick up some Costa Rican coffee. IMHO it's the best coffee in the world. Better than Kona or Blue Mountian.

Rollie

Are most of the pictures of food from the SS United States?

I'm wondering how the food in the main dining room compares, if Laurence or anyone can comment.

Thanks again.

I could be wrong but it looks to me that all the pictures are from the main dining room.

Rollie

Thanks..........I just gained 10 pounds and I haven't even started my cruise !!!! :p

Thanx for sharing........

Was your waiter Mirko? I am looking at picture #74 in the food album and that looks like him - he was our waiter on our Infinity Panama Canal cruise back in April.

No, he was our next table's waiter.

thanks soooo much for the photos of the food - my favourite topic !!

our first cruise isn't until next July (Alaska, Infinity) ; I'm thinking I better pack a 'larger sized' pair of pants with an elastic waistband for the flight home !!!!

Laurence,

Thanks for sharing your photos.

That was a wonderful presentation of the quality of food on X cruises.

One of the many reasons we love Celebrity.

:D Good morning, Laurence.

Many thanks for such an interesting photo display. Well done !!!

We're also using Charlie Soto in Puntareans during our upcoming Full transit Panama cruise on MERCURY 8th Dec from SanDiego. I'd appreciate your comments on his organisation and himself, since you appear to have taken a full 7-8+hours tour .

The quality of your pix is superb.

Gratias !!

Cheers

Claude G

;)

Hi Claude,

Charlie is the owner of the okeydokey tour company. He is a very friendly customer oriented tour operator. He lived in San Diego previously before moving back to Costa Rica to start his own tour business. We only had 6 people in our tour group so we got pretty good personal service from him. I was able to talk to him quite a lot as I sat up front in his van. He really made me feel like an old friend is driving me around to see Costa Rica. He was very flexible in the amount of time our group spends at our stops... we took it SLOW at the restaurant and we spent a good amount of time watching the crocodiles and going to the shop next to the bridge. We had trouble getting change at the Pali market and Charlie jumped in to help... For the amount of money Charlie charges, the number of places you will experience and the friendlyness of his company, I think his tours are excellent value.

Tip: bring some small change $5 and $1s if you are going to buy stuff at the Pali market. Otherwise you may be stuck with some Costa Rican money.

Charlie told me that when there is a bigger group he has associates who would come along to help. The associate would do the driving and he can interact more during the long drives (30-45 minutes) between points of interest. His sister lives in Puntarenas so when he has a pre-booked tour he goes there the night before to stay there so that he can be at the dock when the ship arrives. He lives 3 hours from Puntarenas. He does tours from both Pacific side (Puntarenas) and Caribbean side (Limon).

Have fun with Charlie and say hi to him when you see him. I am sure he will remember me as I sent him a link to my pictures.

Laurence

Are most of the pictures of food from the SS United States?

I'm wondering how the food in the main dining room compares, if Laurence or anyone can comment.

Thanks again.

Most of the pictures were from the main dining, some were from the open seating lunch. If there are At Sea days check out the open seating menu. The food at lunch in the Trellis restaurant is as good as the dinners. The only problem with open seating lunch is it takes a lot longer to get through a meal vs. the lunch buffets and you have less time for other activities (e.g. dance lessons which I don't mind skipping :D.)

BTW, I added pictures from 'High Tea' in the food album.

Laurence

Awesome pictures. Glad to see someone else(other than DH) taking pictures of the food. Just have to wait another 1 1/2 years for our turn.

We enjoyed your pictures of the cruise. We passed thru the Canal after you on the Radiance. Do you plan to post more pictures of the Canal transit itself?

They hid the strife going on in Oaxaca from us, that is why there were soldiers all over the place. Oaxaca is now on the State Dept areas-to-be-avoided list, big time rioting. I guess it is centered in the city and not along the Coastline.

Hi Laurence

I posted your link on our Summit Roll Call as I think your pictures are great. Thanks for sharing them & looking at them certainly makes me want February to arrive quickly. I have my Picasa link working so will check regularly for your updates. I have booked with Charlie for Puntarenas & am looking forward to the day.

Jan

Hi Laurence

I posted your link on our Summit Roll Call as I think your pictures are great. Thanks for sharing them & looking at them certainly makes me want February to arrive quickly. I have my Picasa link working so will check regularly for your updates. I have booked with Charlie for Puntarenas & am looking forward to the day.

Jan

Mr. Incredible, I like your pictures also. Thanks for sharing. I will put the Panama crossing picture up soon. I have to trim down from ~500 pictures from our day there.

Hi Jan, Feb. will be here soon! I am sure you will have a great time!!

After getting the pictures straighten out I will work on a trip report.

Great collection of photos, Laurence. The only thing I can say is, when is the earliest that I can get on the Infinity. I'm salivating!

Loved your pictures, Laurence! I loved the food on my two "Infinity" cruises. I don't remember their having crab legs and scampi on the luncheon buffet at that time. Yummm!

Laurence, do you recall who was the cruise director on Infinity?

Hi Karen,

The cruise director is Damian de Lorenzis. As you can see below he is a happy fellow. He was pretty good.

IMG_0800-1.JPG.6c5cc7fac26383477a54ff69bc112921.JPG

Loved your pictures, Laurence! I loved the food on my two "Infinity" cruises. I don't remember their having crab legs and scampi on the luncheon buffet at that time. Yummm!

They were so good and juicy that I went back 3 times!! May be they picked up a fresh batch from Alaska before the dry dock. The scampis were made fresh with loads of garlic (your choice). Quality wise, we liked the food on the Mercury from our 2005 August Alaska cruise more. e.g. the steaks were thicker and better cut.

We had MANY more late night buffets on the Panama cruise than our last Alaska cruise: chocolate lovers late night buffet, island night, mexican night, crepes night, sherbet and ice cream night and of course the grand buffet.

I LOVED your pictures. I love the food on X and I can't wait until my cruise in about 15 days.... Great Pics.....:)

They were so good and juicy that I went back 3 times!! May be they picked up a fresh batch from Alaska before the dry dock. The scampis were made fresh with loads of garlic (your choice). Quality wise, we liked the food on the Mercury from our 2005 August Alaska cruise more. e.g. the steaks were thicker and better cut.

We had MANY more late night buffets on the Panama cruise than our last Alaska cruise: chocolate lovers late night buffet, island night, mexican night, crepes night, sherbet and ice cream night and of course the grand buffet.

Thanks again for the great photos, Laurence. I'm almost ready to book another cruise after looking at your photos. :D

We are heading out on the Mercury and doing a Panama adventure on the Mercury. Many of the stops are similar and your pictures have really helped us do a bit more research, as well as very entertaining, we are all getting excited.

The quality of your pics are excellent and I was wondering what kind of Camera you had. I am thinking of upgrading mine before we leave.

Thanks

Mike

We are heading out on the Mercury and doing a Panama adventure on the Mercury.

Thanks

Mike

:D Good evening,

Which sailing are you on ??? December 8th SanDiego--Miami ??? If so, join us on the roll call for this voyage...Lots of us already, and the thread is quite active !!

Happy sailings

Claude G

;)

Did you notice if they have replaced the beds?

May be they did during the dry dock? It was in very good condition.

We are heading out on the Mercury and doing a Panama adventure on the Mercury. Many of the stops are similar and your pictures have really helped us do a bit more research, as well as very entertaining, we are all getting excited.

The quality of your pics are excellent and I was wondering what kind of Camera you had. I am thinking of upgrading mine before we leave.

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike,

The camera we took 80% of our pictures is the Canon SD700IS (digital Elph series). We bought it a month before our trip. It's an amazing compact 'point and shoot' camera - very easy to use and it takes great pictures. It has canon's excellent image stabilization system => No shaky or unfocused pictures. We took good quality pictures in a moving van!!

A newer model SD800IS just came out with wider lens (providing wider image capture), lower light capability and new face recognition software to reduce the chance of unfocused portraits and supports even larger SD memory cards. It's available at Circuit City, Amazon etc. It's not an inexpensive point and shoot but to me it's worth every penny! Review: http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/ca...ew/index.shtml If you get this camera, you can get a good price on quality Japanese made replacement batteries at www.batterybarn.com.

When is your Mercury cruise? We were on the Mercury last year to Alaska... excellent staff and food. I will post pictures from the Mercury one day online.

Laurence,

Your photos are fantastic- very helpful and exciting to look at as we anticipate our own panama cruise. Thanks for putting these up with such great explanations!

Thank you Laurence for sharing your pics ..... We are on the Holiday sailing on Celebrity Mercury leaving Dec 23-06... So looking forward to this cruise... Your pictures are fantastic...

Alwaysonholiday.... are you on this same cruise..... we have a thread going....if you are...please join in....

Here is a link......... http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=222996

Once again Thanks Laurence...both hubby and myself thoroughly enjoyed your slideshows.....