What happened to volcano sail by?

arby70

I am currently researching for a cruise around the Hawaiian islands for September/October 2007. I noticed that only maybe the POAm might be the only ship that goes by the volcano now. Can't tell for sure. That ship would be my last choice. Am I looking at the itinerary maps incorrectly as to where the volcano (Kiluhea) is? I want either Pride of Aloha or Hawaii and it looks to me that we will not get to do the sail by then. :( :confused:

DH and I love Hawaii...we've never cruised the islands, but have been there several times. Our favorite is the BIG ISLAND...going to see the active Volcano becomes a spiritual experience for us.

I just checked on the NCL site...Pride of Hawaii seems to be the only one of the 3 that doesn't do a sail by of the volcano. However you do have a nice long day in Hilo which would give you a terrific opportunity to visit the park and see the Volcano UP CLOSE AND PERSONAL (I had a most unusual souveneir from one of our trips - a pair of MELTED sneakers...the fronts were mushed from my getting too close to an active lava flow. But I ask you...how many people have that to show the family when they get home???)

Hilo is a short drive to the Park. Going to the park from Kona...that's a long long tiring ride (especially if you're driving).

I see that a few of the itineraries show Hilo one day, Kona the next. Although it isn't documented (and, yes, it should be clarified by NCL), it would make sense that they would leave from Hilo in the evening (allowing for a night time sail by) and then head to Kona.

I wish I could be of more help...I know that shoreguy has been saying that the site, which is very new, still has some glitches they need to fix.

I can only guarantee one thing...seeing a live volcano stops you in your tracks, physically and mentally. It's always reminded DH and I that no matter how important we think our problems might be, Mother Nature is the real ruler of the roost. Can you imagine one day finding lava coming out of a hole in your backyard? Uh oh..I'm on my soapbox again. Oops!

Aloha,

W A W W

Don't trust the map graphics, trust the written text.

If "Evening Sail By Mount Kilauea" is in the NCL itinerary for your cruise,

your ship is scheduled to sail pass the volcano.

None of the 2007 POH cruises have that specifically listed in the itinerary. I will be on the 4/30/07 POH cruise. Someone I spoke to at NCL (who gave info of questionable accuracy) and some people here claimed that the 4/30/07 cruise won't sail by the volcano, but the map shows it sailing by where I think the volcano is.

Do you recommend NCL's Volcano National Park excursion?

I cannot imagine NCL or NCLA not sailing by the volcano at night on most itineraries. The sailing distance between islands is not that far...so there is almost always time for a quick "drive by" the volcano. Perhaps, it is a fuel issue....???

On the PoAm 10/7/06 cruise we DID have the Volcano sail-by on the night of the Hilo port. And it was NOT shown on the graphics, it was NOT listed on our itinerary, prior to our cruise. It was wonderful on our cruise and not to be missed.

FYI, the Kauai coastline sail-by was NOT shown or listed either, and our cruise DID do the sail-by and it was great too, although it was raining and overcast.

We took the NCL Volcano National Park tour and thought it was great, probably one of the best tours ever. I know many suggest renting your own car (much cheaper) but the information from the tour was well worth it. There was enough time at each stop and we didn't feel rushed at all.

On the PoAm 10/7/06 cruise we DID have the Volcano sail-by on the night of the Hilo port. And it was NOT shown on the graphics, it was NOT listed on our itinerary, prior to our cruise. It was wonderful on our cruise and not to be missed.

FYI, the Kauai coastline sail-by was NOT shown or listed either, and our cruise DID do the sail-by and it was great too, although it was raining and overcast.

We took the NCL Volcano National Park tour and thought it was great, probably one of the best tours ever. I know many suggest renting your own car (much cheaper) but the information from the tour was well worth it. There was enough time at each stop and we didn't feel rushed at all.

I'd be more comfortable going on the POH-booked tours for 3 reasons. One is that I'd prefer to avoid renting a car and driving in an unfamiliar area. The second is that if I book through NCL, NCL will refund the excursion cost if they fail to dock at that port or change the itinerary for whatever reason, but if I book independently, I'd lose the money if the ship fails to dock or the itinerary is changed. The 3rd is that if I book through NCL, the ship won't leave until after the tour retrurns. But if I book independently, if I get lost or stuck in traffic, the ship could leave without me. And I'd prefer to avoid having to spend the entire trip looking at my watch.

A question asked by the original poster was the actual location of the current eruption. Check out this map:

http://vulcan.wr.usgs.gov/Imgs/Gif/Hawaii/Maps/map_big_island.gif

The current ocean entries (there are two, a couple of miles apart) are right under the "V" in the words "Kilauea Visitor Center" - it's just to the right of the end of the squiggly black line that extends towards the ocean from "Kilauea", which is the Chain of Craters road. The actual source of the eruption is on Kilauea's east rift zone, near the "e" in the same "KilauEa Vistor Center' and the lava travels downslope from the source at the Pu'u O'o vent to the ocean in a series of lava tubes.

At night the view can be anything from interesting to utterly sublime. Sometimes there are breakouts of lava on the cliffs (Pali) inland from the sea and you see rivers of lava flowing downhill for hundreds of meters. Sometimes the wind is such that all you see are intense, orange glowing clouds of steam, and rarely there are littoral explosions at the ocean entry that look like fireworks, but occasionally hundreds of feet high.

I cannot imagine that any Hawaiian NCL ship would NOT travel past this amazing place, unless there were mechanical problems or very poor sailing conditions.

I know that the volcano at night would be a highlight of our trip. I agree that I can't imagine them not sailing by this wonder at night. I am so excited about seeing all the beauty in Hawaii up close and personal. Closest I've been so far is to see it on tv.

Does anyone know how to find out reliably whether or not the April 30, 2007 cruise will sail past the volcano? Maybe someone who knows the sail time between ports can calculate whether or not it is factored into the schedule. Like I said, NCL told me that it won't sail past the volcano. But, I do not know if what that person said was accurate; she also said that certain staterooms that show up on the deck plan that people from CC have stayed in don't exist. I trust someone from CC who has been on the ship before trusting an NCL employee who has probably never been on the POH in her life.

I am currently researching for a cruise around the Hawaiian islands for September/October 2007. I noticed that only maybe the POAm might be the only ship that goes by the volcano now. Can't tell for sure. That ship would be my last choice. Am I looking at the itinerary maps incorrectly as to where the volcano (Kiluhea) is? I want either Pride of Aloha or Hawaii and it looks to me that we will not get to do the sail by then. :( :confused:

Was on POH 10/9/06 & we cruised by. Capt. turned ship so both sides could geta view. Instead of walking tour, we took the helicopter. WOW!!!!!

We were on the POA 8/04, supposed to be the POAM (she sank), and our first Hawaii cruise was the SS Constitutoin in 4/94. Any ship in the area that does not sail by Madame Pele is missing the boat! NCLA was the best as she made a 360 so everybody got a look. On your own balcony is the best way, IMHO. As was the Na Pali coast of Kauai. We have been to the Hawaiian Islands 4 times and can't wait to go back. Next time the POH! I hope!

Is it possible that NCL doesn't include it in the itinerary because it depends on sea conditons, weather conditions, and if the volcano is actually doing anything that day?

If you go to Hilo on one day and Kona the next, the route is passing the volcano.

NCL doesn't want to pay people for NOT seeing the volcano, so they don't promise what they can't gaurantee.

Archived