Scooter Renters Beware!

wvjohn

I recently reserved a scooter for my 81 year old mother on the 10/22/06 Grandeur Bermuda cruise. I did it through CareVacations, which is the contractor RCCL recommended. Upon arrival at the port I asked RCCL staff where to get the scooter and was told they are delivered to the room. When we got on the ship I asked at the purser's desk and got the same answer. We were on the ship about noon. After we got into our cabins, no scooter and I asked the cabin attendant to see if he could find it. He could not. At this point I assumed there was no scooter. When we returned I contacted CareVacations and asked for a refund of my $275. They took several days to get back to me and stated that the scooter was in fact on board and if I had called their emergency # (at $10/min or whatever) they would have been able to help me locate the scooter....Let's see if I've got this right...there is a scooter somewhere on an 80,000 ton ship and it's my responsibilty to call at $10 min and find out where it is????? I don't think so.

If the scooter was parked somewhere in housekeeping instead of delivered as promised all they had to do was leave a note with the purser staff who I am sure would have contacted us. This ain't hard folks,and you do it for a living.

CareVacations eventually offered a 50% refund or a personal credit (non-transferable) for the full amount. lol. I opened a dispute with my credit card company and also emailed RCCL - it was their recommended contractor.

We'll see what happens.

I have to laugh a bit. When I read the title of your thread I had visions of your 81yo mom riding scooters around the streets of Bermuda and was anticipating the usual postings about how dangerous it is to do with the narrow winding streets!

I have to laugh a bit. When I read the title of your thread I had visions of your 81yo mom riding scooters around the streets of Bermuda and was anticipating the usual postings about how dangerous it is to do with the narrow winding streets!

Me, too !!:D

Good for you for fighting them over it. I use a powerchair and we cruise out of Florida so I can bring my own. That is the company I would use if I cruised out of another state as my powerchair can't go on planes. Please be sure to report back what you hear from the companies as I find both CareVacations and RCCL at fault if the scooter made it on the ship.

I would contact CareVacations again and ask them to show you a invoice with who from RCCL signed for the scooter. If they can not produce one, I would hold them to prove that they did deliver the scooter. Then you can take it from there.

Me four! :D

We had a mobility scooter for my mom on Empress a couple of years ago. It was delivered to the ship in San Juan, a staff member retrieved it for her from where ever it was stored and brought it to us in one of the lounges. My mom had never used a scooter before and it provided some really interesting experiences for all of us, from her inexperience (imagine someone nearly bringing down buffet table on the pool deck, and running over toes right and left) to the staffs' fun - they enjoyed bringing it to her in the dining room (not enough room to leave it by the table). However, it was an 11 night cruise, and definitly made the trip easier and more enjoyable for her.

Jodi

Did you notify anyone else on the ship besides the cabin attendent? Perhaps guest relations? Seems that someone should have been able to help track down the scooter.

Not blaming the OP, just wondering why you waited until you got back to try to do something about it.

I checked with the people at the gate when we boarded since they had handicapped assistance, checked at the purser's desk after we were aboard and the answer I got was that it would be delivered to the room. That afternoon, when it wasn't there I had the cabin attendant try and find it. My mom had brought her walker and was getting around ok, so I figured that it just wasn't onboard. I assumed that if they had delivered it to ship's staff they would notify her.

I like the idea of the receipt..thanks. I'll see what my CC company does with it and I emailed RCCI as well.

Bottom line is these things are pricey ($275 for 5 days) and the vendor should deliver the goods. If they in fact parked it somwehere on the cruise ship and expected the client to track it down, maybe they need to consider another line of business......I'll report back when I hear something

thanks all

Bottom line is these things are pricey ($275 for 5 days) and the vendor should deliver the goods. If they in fact parked it somwehere on the cruise ship and expected the client to track it down, maybe they need to consider another line of business......I'll report back when I hear something

thanks all

I would think that as the preferred contractor they would give clear info to the renter before arrival, and that ships personnel would know that procedure. On that expensive of an item, you have a right to expect some sort of customer service.

Gotta laugh here..I thought the same thing!!!

OB..Mariner this Sunday!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Gotta laugh here..I thought the same thing!!!

OB..Mariner this Sunday!!! Yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome Kruz. I hope you have a great time. I'm doing Adventure in March... Aruba route. Looking at your signiture is seems like Mariner is becoming your second home!

Awesome Kruz. I hope you have a great time. I'm doing Adventure in March... Aruba route. Looking at your signiture is seems like Mariner is becoming your second home!

I have a tendancy of doing that! Haha!! Look how long I did Song of America before I ventured out!!

Aruba sounds great! My parents are in that territory now so am anxious to hear how they liked it!

I have a tendancy of doing that! Haha!! Look how long I did Song of America before I ventured out!!

Aruba sounds great! My parents are in that territory now so am anxious to hear how they liked it!

me six? LOL :D :D

me six? LOL :D :D

• 4 weeks later...

Archived