Dress Length ?

nlptes

Specifically dressy/formal wear... I was on way to tailor to shorten floor-length dress to knee-length, when a friend called to tell me that dress lengths are coming DOWN? :confused:

I'm short and heavy, one decent thing I have is legs. A long gown does nothing for my figure.

Are hem lengths going back down? If so, how long. Your thoughts on leaving dress floor-length or calf-length? or cocktail (knee) length?

TIA :D, Nancy

Hi Nancy:) to be honest, I think it depends on the dress...the style, material...the reason for wearing it...casual, dressy, etc.

I wear what I like...and if you have nice legs and want them to show...wear the dress shorter:D

I have many skirts that are below my knee, but not floor length...for work, especially here in FL...its HOT in the summer...and a pretty summer skirt that falls between the knee and the calf is a staple in my wardrobe!

Formal dresses do seem to be coming down but I think there's still a lot of leeway. Wear the length you feel best in, but by knee length, do you mean above or below? I definitely see a trend there towards just below the knee. What do the rest of you think?

I think you need to have the hem in the place that looks best for your body type, regardless of the "trend of the moment".

It seems every time I have purchased what's the latest, by the time I get around to wearing it, it is out of style. So, I stick to classic lines that look best on me. I learned a long time ago to go with a trend (subtle), but avoid being trendy. That way, you will not be embarrased by your photos 10 years from now.

I have a sister who is a little bit short and heavy, she actually looks best in pants rather than a dress at any length. Maybe you need a friend or a sister to help you out with this one.

i say go for knee length! that's the length that makes you feel glamorous, right? and if you're short and heavy, you're probably amply bosomed! may as well make that a feature, too. blind them with your beautiful face, decolletage, and sexy legs and they'll be too distracted to focus on the rest!

I, too, am fluffy, and I look my best in pants. I have long legs, so anything that accentuates them is best for me. Floorlength skirts and dresses are very unflattering on me.

I agree with the last poster: wear what looks best on you.

As I said above, almost all of my dressy clothes are pantsuits.

Specifically dressy/formal wear... I was on way to tailor to shorten floor-length dress to knee-length, when a friend called to tell me that dress lengths are coming DOWN? :confused:

I'm short and heavy, one decent thing I have is legs. A long gown does nothing for my figure.

Are hem lengths going back down? If so, how long. Your thoughts on leaving dress floor-length or calf-length? or cocktail (knee) length?

TIA :D, Nancy

Yes, floor-length is in and it is still do-able for a short person with nice legs. The secret to look good when you are heavy is to stay away from flare dress. A form-fitting, splitted dress and high-heels will work best for you. If yours is flared, have it cut uneven (knee-length in front so you can show your beautiful legs and floor-length in the back to give an illusion of your height).

Good luck :)

Yes, floor-length is in and it is still do-able for a short person with nice legs. The secret to look good when you are heavy is to stay away from flare dress. A form-fitting, splitted dress and high-heels will work best for you. If yours is flared, have it cut uneven (knee-length in front so you can show your beautiful legs and floor-length in the back to give an illusion of your height).

Good luck :)

Thanks to everyone (we still wanna hear more opinions), I espcially like this idea : short in front, long in back - what are your thoughts? My other dressy-dress was made this way, and my other formal wear is a pantsuit :)

Nancy

Nancy,

I had a skirt that was floor length and cut it mid way from the knee to calf so I could wear it to church or for a fomal event. Choose the length where you could wear it more often and compliments you best.

I do like the Latina look ie short in front and long in back. Think it is a youthful style.

Barb

One thing to remember is the style of the dress. You have to decide if it will look good shorter. Some long dresses are made to be long and if you shorten it the look and flow of the dress could be ruined. I really like the idea of long/short.

Another idea is having them put a sexy slit in either the front of the skirt or at the side. If cut properly, it shows lots of leg but doesn't ruin the line of the skirt.

Gee, I'd like to have this problem.

Those of us who are "space efficient" are lucky to find even one dress that fits. I went shopping for a dress for formal night and didn't even *see* a long dress in petite sizes! So I ended up with the proverbial little black dress rather than something with some pizazz.

OTOH, out of the clear blue last evening my dh said I have really nice legs. Would be kind of a shame to hide them wouldn't it? ;-)

M/R

Nancy,

I had a skirt that was floor length and cut it mid way from the knee to calf so I could wear it to church or for a fomal event. Choose the length where you could wear it more often and compliments you best.

I do like the Latina look ie short in front and long in back. Think it is a youthful style.

Barb

So funny Barb... since it's the blue dress you gave me LOL!!

Nancy

Archived