SDI ~ Tenerife to Rio de Janeiro

alita

Great weather, great ride... I'd do it again in a nanosecond!

We have arrived in Natal, it looks to be a huge city, lots of skyscrapers. As we passed under an unfinished bridge the workers on top were screaming and waving and one of the tugs sounded its horn several times. I had been up on the bali bed as we approached Natal, by the time I moved down a new party was in full swing... this is a partying crowd!

Tomorrow I'll go on my own to Ponta Negra, the area south of Natal known as the Venice Beach of South America. Should be fun! Tonight I've been invited to sit at the Doctor's table, she's new to Sea Dream I believe, is originally from Croatia. Now with ports nearly every day the pace will be picking up on the ship, I look forward to exploring new places but will miss the leisurely days of the crossing.

Great weather, great ride... I'd do it again in a nanosecond!

We have arrived in Natal, it looks to be a huge city, lots of skyscrapers. As we passed under an unfinished bridge the workers on top were screaming and waving and one of the tugs sounded its horn several times. I had been up on the bali bed as we approached Natal, by the time I moved down a new party was in full swing... this is a partying crowd!

Tomorrow I'll go on my own to Ponta Negra, the area south of Natal known as the Venice Beach of South America. Should be fun! Tonight I've been invited to sit at the Doctor's table, she's new to Sea Dream I believe, is originally from Croatia. Now with ports nearly every day the pace will be picking up on the ship, I look forward to exploring new places but will miss the leisurely days of the crossing.

Well that's thumbs up on both crossings:)

From the looks of the photos on the blog it sure does look like a party crowd!

Looking forward to hearing your observations on the ports!

...and I'm just back from the TOTY drinking lemoncello with new friends. I have reserved the front bali bed for myself for Saturday night, so glad I remembered to ask as there were almost no slots left.

Four of us at dinner, the charming MD, Judy who is presenting the superb lecture series on Brazil, Cristian from Rio and myself. Even though the doctor was called away to see a patient we had a wonderful exchange of ideas and she was able to return before we finished. Afterward I was the only one in the salon watching Tom Jobim Live in Montreux but I loved it so much, am so glad that Richard scheduled it and will see if I can borrow it to watch again in my cabin. Richard... if you're reading this thanks so much!!!

Must get to sleep now as I have to get up early to get off the ship and locate a taxi. Cristian will be there meeting some business colleagues and has said he'll arrange something for me.

Another adventure!!! Stay tuned!!!

alita

Now that we're hitting ports my time on the computer is limited... in fact I find that I must have a siesta each afternoon, combination of morning sightseeing and high temperatures and humidity. Yesterday I picked up a taxi down to Ponta Negra, a swinging beach scene with lots of action and great people watching. Did a little souvenir shopping but was happy to head back to the ship for lunch. We left port about three and almost immediately the rocking and rolling began, I put on my wrist bands and had no trouble at all. I recommend these highly, they're less than $10 at Walgreens and at least for me very effective.

It was great to be greeted by Tomasz, our intrepid hot man and 007 adventurer who rejoined the ship in Natal. There were 5 of us in our group and when we came in to the dining room one of the people who didn't know who who he was asked him if he'd like to join our party (lol)... we had the table for 6 at the left of the door, it's a favorite of mine. As I was coming into the salon before dinner I ran into the Captain, he greeted me and commented that I'd really enjoyed myself the night before.. I hadn't seen him around and asked how he knew and he replied "The internet of course!!" We both had a laugh, especially since he had said the first night when C & K were over for dinner that he never looked at the internet.

A friend joined me this morning for a tour of Olinda, a gorgeous beautifully preserved colonial town on a hillside north of Natal overlooking the ocean. This is a must for anyone visiting Natal though I would advise arriving early as it does fill up with tourists. From there we went to the Casa de Cultura in Natal, it's an old prison building that is now used as a center for handicraft shops, each one occupies a cell. The quality of merchandise is very high and it's a great place to visit, both for the shopping and for the building itself. The walls are so thick that it remains cool inside and architecturally it is quite interesting, in the shape of a cruciform cross with cells lining the sides of each arm. Each cell is numbered, and though they also have names the best way to remember where you saw something you want to go back for is to remember the cell number.

I was surprised that we encountered so few hawkers while we were out and about; in fact it was when we got off the ship that we ran into problems. Today those doing their own tours had a shuttle to take them to a central point in town but in order to reach the shuttle we had to get through the Stern's representatives who tried to get us on their shuttles... I have always thought of Sterns as the Tiffany's of Rio but no longer... they really were pests. At one point one of the reps tried to tell me that their minibus was the shuttle into town; fortunately I had been warned that our shuttle was behind them so I could push on through. Note to SeaDream: please label clearly the shuttles from the ship and insist that Stern's label theirs so that is no confusion. One group of about 6 from our ship came out looking for the shuttle, spent time talking to the Stern's people but then came on to ours only to change their minds and go back to Stern's for their transportation. My friend told me later when she talked to one of them that it wasn't at all what they expected, but once they got started they couldn't get away!

I've noticed a very interesting thing... with drinks available day and night just for the asking I wondered if I'd begin earlier and earlied each day with a tot. What I find is that if anything I drink less, today for instance I had a rum drink before lunch and then slept most of the afternoon. If I want a clear head, I don't have anything before dinner and as dinner is served at eight that's pretty late. But then I can come up and knock off a post on the internet, otherwise I'd be fast asleep. I also haven't seen signs of people overdoing it so I think there's no truth to the statement that all-inclusive leads to more drinking.

My bed is ready up on the 5th deck and I'm getting ready to move up. I've already been up to check it out and the night is clear and the seas are much calmer than they have been in the last few days so it should be a great night for sleepingunder the stars. Will post tomorrow on my impressions!

sleep well everyone... I intend to!!

alita

Great post, alita. Sleep well. We'll look forward to hearing more tomorrow and the rest of the week as we join the ranks of those at home reading your posts and wishing we were with you.

By the way, somebody that I know pretty well has signed up for the Tenerife-Rio crossing on SD2 in Nov. '07 and the Tenerife-Miami crossing on SD2 with the incredibly popular Capt. Tysse in Nov. '08. Who'd have guessed???/

Sounds like you are really enjoying the ports in Brazil Alita!

The photos on the blog have been great to see ... I can't believe how crowded the beaches look in the photos:eek: I know it is summer in Brazil but yikes!

Hope you enjoyed your evening sleeping under the stars! It is an incredible experience.

No one here is surprised Ctbjr! (OK just a little on next year's crossing):cool:

It was late when I finished writing my post last night so even later when I got up on the top deck to the bali bed. And what should I see but a couple of interlopers occupying MY bed! Fortunately they were not asleep so I was able to turn them out... they were quite apologetic and said they thought I wouldn't be sleeping there. It was dark so I didn't see who it was which is just as well...

Then I reversed the position so that my head was at the foot of the bed and I had a clear view of the heavens. It was magnificent, awesome even, I don't think I've seen so many stars since I was a child and we used to camp out at Yosemite every summer. Directly above me was Orion, a constellation I'm particularly fond of, and I kept my eyes on it until I fell asleep. Now I'm kicking myself because I didn't sign up much earlier in the trip so that I could have had a second turn. There was no sign of the southern cross but later tonight I'll go up to the bridge and see if Joonee can show it to me.

We've just arrived in Salvador though the ship has not yet been cleared. I would imagine that some of the crew will be able to go ashore when their duties have been finished and live it up with great music and dancing. The rest of us will wait until tomorrow morning though I will say that if I were not on my own I'd definitely grab a cab and find some great samba music, dance the night away if I could!

Now here's a one-note quiz: guess who has signed up for the SD2 2008 autumn crossing to Miami???

Not long now until we arrive in Rio. Tomorrow will be Buzios, the St Tropez of Brazil... we'll be there about lunch time and will stay till midnight for those who are serious shoppers. Lots of designer boutiques and of course jewelry stores by the yard plus great beaches... what else could one ask for? Oh yes, there's also plenty of action by night which will make many of the crew happy!

Yesterday was Salvador, I decided to give it a pass and spend the morning in the spa instead as I'll be back in Brazil in February on a Silverseas cruise. I'm sure SS has great spa stuff but I wouldn't think it could compare with the very fine Thai spas on the Sea Dream ships... they are the best I've come across on any ship and there's no pushing products or anything else which is refreshing.

This morning we saw whales around the ship including a very strange one with its tail sticking out of the water but no sign of life. I watched it pass the ship and disappear in the wake but to the last the tip of the tail was visible.

Weather has been excellent and the seas smooth to medium, nothing at all like crossing the north atlantic. KB, you will be fine and you'll have all those gorgeous gemstones to look forward to!

Jen... I feel like Rumplestiltskin trying to come up with a name but here's my final guess: I was up on 'our' bali bed just now and I noticed that the big round receivers (or whatever they are) are not side by side but rather one in front of the other... how's that???

I want to make a couple of comments about the service on SD1, it has been incredibly good, especially from the wait and bar staff. There are so many I could name (if I could remember their names!) but I would like to mention Kris, Mikey, Konrad and George and especially Donatos, the Maitre 'd who has looked after me very very well! Please don't ask me which is my favorite of the two ships as I wouldn't be able to answer that; the experiences have been quite different, but that has to do with me not the ships... just keep in mind that I have future cruises booked on both!

Lots of ... jewelry stores by the yard

Now, you tell me.

First there was St. Thomas, then ST. Maarten, Santorini, the SD boutique and NOW some place in Brazil that I've never heard of. Yikes.

Guess I better get myself a night job so as to keep Mrs. CTBjr in jewelry. Wonder if I can keep her locked in her stateroom while we're in port in Buzios???

By the way, alita. Thanks for the newsy update and please keep them coming. As I've joined the ranks of those at home on the sidelines eagerly awaiting your reports I appreciate your efforts greatly.

I´ll be leaving shortly for the airport after 3 great days in Leblon. Highlight was a club visit with a great guide--Cecil, an amazing man whose english is even better than mine! He´s also very knowledgeable about Rio and Brazil.... history, politics, culture... he knows it all. We went with another SD1 couple, the club is in Lapa off the tourist circuit but the next day when various people asked me where we went they all said it´s the best musical experience in the city.

Back to SD1: the last day we were anchored in Buzios, it´s a charming small town with tons of atmosphere and lots of small boutiques filled with great stuff. It has a feeling of Carmel but not so manicured... I liked it so much I went back in the evening and found an entirely different scene: streets filled with people of all ages, it´s as though everyone comes out to the square and surrounding streets as soon as the sun goes down.. best seen by night I think as it is sleepy during the day.

Want to mention a few more SD1 people who made my trip such a happy one: my suite attendant Mayling (I know the spelling is wrong but can´t come up with the right one), Attila, the two J´s (someone help me with names here, the tall young men in the sky deck restaurant) and of course Captain Barjnie (sp?), who held the show together.

This was a great experience and I learned so much... I have no qualms about recommending this crossing, even for those who are afraid of sea sickness. And the sail into Rio alone was worth the price of the trip.. I got up at 5AM and loved every minute of it, an experience not to be missed!

alita

alita,

Many thanks for the great reports on the crossing as well as your exciting week on SD2 and your post-cruise visit to Leblon. It sounds like you had many incredible adventures. You did a fantastic job sharing them with us. It sure does seem like a long time ago that we met for dinner on SD1 prior to our respective crossings, doesn't it? We're hoping to have the opportunity to cruise with you one of these days. Best wishes for a safe trip home.

Hi Alita,

Hope your trip home was easier than ours - can't remember if you were going through Sao Paulo or which airline. For anyone travelling out of Rio/Sao Paulo for the next while, check and see if the airport employees are still on a "work to rule" schedule and/or if they have gone on strike.

I don't know if you will have received our message/letter at the hotel as their telephone system was having problems after the first night - we didn't get our messages until the last day but did get two six a.m. wake up calls in French. Tried to get hold of you so that you could see the suite - fabulous! Loved the hotel despite the renovations and lack of pool/exercise area; and to compensate us for all the difficulties (mainly the phone problems, I think) they gave us an extra half day.

Thanks for all the extra information, setting up the transfers, and putting us in touch with the agency for tours. We had a fantastic tour on day 2. Wish we had done the night tour with all of you, but I was in bed by 7 p.m. and it took me a full 24 hrs. to get over that bug.

I'm going to write a review once our lives get back to normal. What a great ship and what a great trip!

Mariners

Jen... I feel like Rumplestiltskin trying to come up with a name but here's my final guess: I was up on 'our' bali bed just now and I noticed that the big round receivers (or whatever they are) are not side by side but rather one in front of the other... how's that???

You are correct alita!

Sorry it took me so long to respond but DH's mother became critically ill a week ago Saturday and then passed on Wednesday before Thanksgiving. We returned home late last night from the funeral.

I proposed to DH's sibling group a family cruise next year at Thanksgiving since we lost DH aunt and mother at the same time of year. albeit several years apart.

First, DJ, let me extend my sympathies on the loss of your mother-in-law, particularly at this time of year. I lost my father sixteen years ago, just after Thanksgiving -- so it can be a tough time. Your idea of a family cruise is a good one!

Alita, thanks so much for all your reports!! And, now that you've identified the "unusual" configuration of SD2's comm towers -- do you know the nickname for SD1's? Tee hee.

Vandrefalk

Finally made it back to my front doorstep only to discover that I couldn't find the house keys which I had carefully tucked away in a safe place in my luggage... was no good trying to phone someone as my new cell phone had packed up. I seemed to remember that there were a set of keys tucked under a rock somewhere on the property in case of emergency, and after turning over several stones I found them and disaster was averted.

Mariner, I'm glad you recovered and were able to see some of Rio. No, I didn't get your message, if I had I would have been up knocking on your door! Glad the suite worked out well, was it one of the named ones?

I flew home on United and happily there was no problem in Sao Paulo other than having to sit in the airport there for a couple of hours. As I left the day after you I wonder if they do alternate stoppage days... In the Jobim airport I ran into Donna and Andrew and she showed me some of the goodies she'd picked up in one of the Ipanema jewelry stores, they'd gone to a different one than I had... I had the full treatment at Amsterdam Sauer and ended up buying a watch but no bling alhough the woman who helped me did her best to tempt me.

Jen, I'm so sorry to hear about the death in the family... a younger generation cruise over the Thanksgiving holidays next year sounds like a wonderful idea, hope it works out for you.

ctbjr, it does seem like ages ago that we met on SD1, and for me even longer ago that I was on SD2 and the engine caught fire. I am booked for the fall 2008 crossing (Richard was finally able to get it straightened out), so that will be our opportunity to meet again but I would advise against letting mrsctb know that there are no stops on that one for jewelry. However, the opportunities will be endless on your January SD1 cruise so let me give you a word of warning: major jewelry houses have reps sailing the cruises into Rio and though they are (mostly) discreet their presence can be felt. How about a blog from you on that sailing? My turn to stay home and live vicariously!!

Thanks to all of you who have followed my adventures... I've enjoyed doing these 'reports' and the one thing that has made it easy is having my powerbook in my cabin and a 24/7 internet hook-up. It's been great getting feedback from the audience.. I feel as though I know all of you even if only in cyberspace.

Jen... happy sailings on Seabourn and please give us a report!

alita

I finally got on the scales yesterday to see what damage had been done after 3 weeks on SD and 2 more in Barcelona and Seville. To my amazement I weighed exactly the same as I did when I left home in October!

Sea Dream menus can take much of the credit... at both breakfast and lunch there was always a great assortment of fresh fruit, and at lunch a wide selection of wonderful healthy salads.. this made it easy to pass up bread and other starchy stuff. My protein intake was high (dinners especially) and that must have been a good thing. Always had dessert at dinner and a couple of freshly baked cookies at lunch.

Any of you out there worried about putting on the pounds can relax... by making sensible choices you can avoid major clothing shrink. But I do believe it's helpful to pack some Chico's stuff just in case...;)

alita

I am impressed alita!! No weigh gain after a SD cruise is quite an achievemnt:p

I have started to pull my clothing for our 12/9 Brand X cruise ... and you can be sure lots of Chico's Travelers will be in the suitcases. That stuff travels so well ... and of course there is the benefit of expansion:eek:

Again thanks so much for your wonderful reports! Hope to sail with you soon!

Almost finished packing the suitcase and the garmet bag.

What's the rush, Jen? By the way, don't forget to pack DH's tux, etc. However, if you do forget I happen to know from personal experience that the tailor shop is on Deck 1 and they can fix him up with a very nice waiter's uniform for formal night(s).

What's the rush, Jen? By the way, don't forget to pack DH's tux, etc. However, if you do forget I happen to know from personal experience that the tailor shop is on Deck 1 and they can fix him up with a very nice waiter's uniform for formal night(s).

You know me Ctbjr ... compulsive planner/packer.

DH's tux, with two shirts, two ties and two cumberbunds, are all in the garmet bags (and yes of course one of the ties and cumberbunds have a certain mouse on it:rolleyes:).

Still have to email our friend about catching up in St. Barts ...

• 4 weeks later...

Archived