Opinions on the forward facing Ocean View cabins on Mercury?

florisdekort

Hello,

Well - the topic says it all. Does anybody have experience with the deck 8 forward facing Ocean View cabins on Mercury? I have cabin 8001 on hold. 8000 to 8005 all face forward, and then there are 2 corner cabins, facing forward and to the side (for example 8007) that also seem larger. Did anybody stay in these cabins and if so, what are your thoughts??? Thanks!!!

Cheers -

Floris

We stayed in 8004 on a twelve-night Galaxy (Mercury's near-twin) cruise this past Christmas. It was much larger than the other category 5 cabins (around 200+ square feet) and the forward view from the extra large window was great. There is a short hall when you enter, so lots of privacy from the hallway. The room had a queen bed, a sofa bed, a chair and glass table. We also used a roll-away bed and had lots of room to walk around. The closet and bathroom are in a little alcove, so they do not open directly into the room.

We were warned that being so far forward would allow us to feel the motion of the ship more than a mid-ship cabin, but it was not a problem for us and we had some rough weather the first day coming out of Galveston. Something you might consider if you are prone to motion sickness.

If possible, I would try to book 8007 or 8004.

Floris,

We did everything we could to get 8007 (or its mirror image on the other side) for our Australia cruise. Reviews are very positive about space and views. There are several old threads about this if you wish to look. The other little secret (shhhh) is that in front of those cabins is a sitting area with lounges that is like having your own large balcony. Only downside is if others sit there and look in your window. When we sailed Mercury to ALaska, my family used the deck through the inside passage and had it all to ourselves. Lovely. Go for it but don't tell anyone about the 'balcony' :)

Sis-in-law and her hubby had one of those forward cabins on Mercury when we went to Mexico 3-04. We were down in 4070.

We had fairly smooth seas on that trip, but I imagine that there could be some "bounce" in heavy seas.

8004 and 8007 are the corner forward cabins on Mercury and Galaxy's Panorama deck. There are no decks outside in front of them (those are the Cat 3 cabins on the aft end of the ship). Although the cabins are on the corner, the window only faces the front. It overlooks the crew pool and recreation area, but we never saw anyone there.

One funny thing that happened to us was a call from the bridge requesting we close our curtains at night because the light from our cabin was glaring into the bridge above us and interferring with the security camera (or so we were told).

One funny thing that happened to us was a call from the bridge requesting we close our curtains at night because the light from our cabin was glaring into the bridge above us and interferring with the security camera (or so we were told).

Or maybe you were not supposed to see what goes on in the crew pool at 2 am :D

Floris

Grabbed 8007 on my upcoming Galaxy cruise. Wanted a forward facing cabin, but not one with the bed under the window. 8007 had the bed on the oppisite wall facing the window (or so I am told) I am looking forward to this trip!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Come on March 07!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Oh almost forgot. To see pictures go to the web site where you can visit with your "cruise Mates" and to go pictures of the ships. Mercury cabin 8004 is pictures.

(Hope I'm not breaking any rules by using a sort of web site name. I don't know any other way to tell you how to see the pictures. There is also a picture of the infamous "cabin with a pole" in the galaxy pictues. A real hoot!)

I've got 8007 on Mercury for Alaska next June! And really can't wait to be in it!!! If you do a search on "Mercury 8007" you'll be able to find the thread with pictures from inside the cabin. The picture facing Hubbard Glacier is what sold it for us :D . I'm not sure I'll make the wait :)

Archived