Toe nail polish color ?

Bettyboop66

O.K. I need some help from all you fashionistas (sp?), I am going on a cruise in December and have a new formal outfit from that wonderful store TJ Maxx. But with it I will be wearing open toe shoes which I don't normally do. So my question is the dress is a dark pink color almost mauve really, and I don't know what color to get on my toes. My daughter suggested a french manicure but never having done this on my toes I can't decide. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure I'm talented enough to post a picture of the outfit. Thanks for your help.

I am one that wears shades that compliment my skin tone and not a particular outfit. That means red in winter months and a deep copper in the summer time on my toes.

I think french manicures can be pretty but it takes skill to do one nicely. Some I have seen are harsh looking. I also find that, on me, they chip easily. I do like them when they are done nicely and find they are a good neutr al choice. When I travel, I always make sure I have a bottle of my own polish on hand for touch ups as I hate chipped nails.

Perhaps a sheer, nude shade would be an option.

O.K. I need some help from all you fashionistas (sp?), I am going on a cruise in December and have a new formal outfit from that wonderful store TJ Maxx. But with it I will be wearing open toe shoes which I don't normally do. So my question is the dress is a dark pink color almost mauve really, and I don't know what color to get on my toes. My daughter suggested a french manicure but never having done this on my toes I can't decide. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm not sure I'm talented enough to post a picture of the outfit. Thanks for your help.

Afraid it is one way am rather old fashioed. I use the same shade on my lips, nails and toes

I hate french manicures, but especially hate french pedicures. Ugh. I realize my opinion is not shared by everyone, but nonetheless, it is my opinion. I would infinitely prefer a light shade on the entire nail, if it is your choice to avoid a "color".

For my toes, though, I do a bright red in the summer and a wine in the winter (For anyone who responded to my query back in October before my cruise, I ended up going with OPI's Thrill of Brazil for my pedicure--the Chick Flick Cherry clashed with my red formal dress..) Anyway, I would probably pick a very dark dark pink, if that goes with my skin tone (possibly the Chick Flick Cherry from OPI--it is one of my favorite colors and goes well with my skin tone--so if it matched the dress, I'd wear it).

I think french pedicure would be great. I love that look on the toes it is very natural and fresh looking.

To avoid the stark look, go for the off white tips (I think they call it the "American")

I am thinking of having this done myself for my cruise, then I am not tied to one colour and worrying it clashes with an outfit.

But I do like French manis...go figure.

I personally like bright on my toes....mostly because I don't like it on my fingers!

WHATEVER you like is FINE. If you like a French pedi, it is nice to have flexibility to polish over.

Have a great cruise!

Kris

I too like to use a color on my toes that I would not use on my fingers. I keep my fingernails a neutral/natural color. Right now I have a very, very dark red on my toes. The ONE time I got French on my toes, for my son's wedding, I kicked something while dressing and knocked a big chunk of the white away. Soooo, as recommended, no matter what you choose be sure to take touch-up polish. I always buy a bottle of what I am using.

Have fun!

Patty

I too like to use a color on my toes that I would not use on my fingers. I keep my fingernails a neutral/natural color.

Patty

This is what I do also. Nude fingers and dark toes.:)

I do not like dark fingers (on myself)... I chip my polish too much and do not have the time to fix them everyday.

As for my toes, I use a coppery shade or an 'orangish type' shade when I have a tan, and a wine color in the winter when my tan is gone and I am left with my olive skin tone.:rolleyes:

I like the french pedi look... just wish I could keep up with it. I had a french pedi for my sister's wedding a few years back and it did look really nice... before it started to chip. If you choose to do the french pedi, I agree that bringing along the white polish for touchups is a good idea.

I keep my toenails pretty short, due to years of ballet! A french manicure really only works if the nails are long--and long toenails are pretty "icky!" If you use color on your fingernails, use the same on your toes! (Lipstick doesn't have to match--it should compliment your skintone--!)

Not that I think every French pedicure is horrid, but they always look to me like the person needs to cut their toenails.

I have a rosy brown on my toes and absolutely love it. I wear one of the OPI bridal colors on my fingers, it's almost sheer.

I wear one of the OPI bridal colors on my fingers, it's almost sheer.

Kathy, funny you should mention that as I have been debating on my toenail color for next week. None of my normal colors will work.

I will have to check out the OPI website and see if I can find a bridal color that does not look chalky against my olive skin.:)

Thanks for the tip!

A lot of the Hollywood stars are painting their toenails black even though their fingernails may be a different color. Chanel Black Satin is the color to die for and it sells for over $80 on Ebay.

Sorry I just get images of toe rot :p Don't care for french mani on toes. I tend to go with with colors that go with my complexion vs lip/outfit color (plus I wear a lot of black) nudes/whites look good on me and I tend to use them on both nails and toes

I use Essie - Ballet Slipper, Picket Fence or Marshmellow if I do color I usually go with antique rose or canyon coral

Not only that, they have flowers on them!!! It goes with everything and I keep a bottle of white nail polish (sally hansen) for quick touch ups. I really like it... I think it looks classy and nice if done right. :) One thing if you are considering this, ask for the pink top coat, it tones down the white... :)

Good luck!:)

The French pedi can be a very attractive look but right now it's outdated....the latest in color for toenails is dark, including the new black shades.

The lighter the color on the toes, the more you notice the entire foot. Most of us don't have such glorious feet....so when you wear the darker colors, the eye will be drawn to the nails, and not the entire foot area. Pick a shade that goes with your skintone and complements the majority of the clothing you are going to wear.

A lot of the Hollywood stars are painting their toenails black even though their fingernails may be a different color. Chanel Black Satin is the color to die for and it sells for over $80 on Ebay.

My pedicure was black for a couple of weeks in September. It looks great only if it is executed perfectly.

My current pedicure colur is OPI's "black tie optional." It is a very dark purple with a tiny bit of shimmer. Now that summer is over, I usually get dark colors on my toes (and fingers). I have been alternating between "Lincoln Park After Dark" and "Mrs. O'Leary's BBQ" for my toes.

In the summer, almost anything goes for my tootsies. I wear a lot of hot pinks, but one of my favorite fall backs is "Belize it or Not."

For my January caribbean cruise I have to decide if I wear darker polish because it is January, or lighter polish because it is the Caribbean!

For those of you who like French mani/pedis, Sephora sells a manicure pen that would work well for touchups on or off a cruise. I think it was about $8 online.

Really? Do they sell it in the store too? (I have 2 or 3 Sephoras near me!)

Archived