Ever not get off the ship at all?

molaurie

Nope, not me. The cruise is the means of transportation I use to get me to new and exciting destinations. I don't lay around the pool, I'm not interested in trivia games, or lectures, I wouldn't go to the shows if my traveling companion didn't insist, I don't gamble or drink, and bingo is too expensive. SO the cruise ship itself doesn't hold much allure for me. I do however like to eat, so after a full day of touring, sightseeing and shopping, I'm eager to get back to the ship for dinner.

I'm sure there are some folks that love to just be on the ship, but I'm not one of them.

Happy sailing.:D

We have not done it so far but may on our December cruise. We have been to all the ports before and although it would be fun to see other things health and mobility issues may keep us aboard. I enjoy a view from the Crow's Nest with a good book and gazing at the ocean or our balcony. Sue

We planned to stay on board for two different cruises, but my husband really wanted to go into town briefly. I should have known better as we ended up wasting the whole day when we could have been relaxing on our own private ship!

December's cruise is only four days and I've been to both ports. So I'm taking two good books and claiming my spot on deck.

Yes, I have done this several times.

Of course, quite a few of our curising is ocean crosssings, so there are few (some times no) ports along the way.

The most port intensive cruise on which I didn't leave the ship was a LA->Florida Panana Canal transit. Having been to Baja Ca. before and having no special longing to see anything there, I stayed on board. After the transit we didn't stop on any islands where I have friends this time, so I so no reason to to get off. (My wife used to fly all over the Caribbean on business, so we have spent lots of time there).

On our last Pacific crossing, the only stop was Honolulu -- a city we both dislike. The weather wasn't all that great, so we decided it wasn't worth heading to the north of the island -- which is lovely. My wife stayed on baord. I needed razor blades, so I was off the ship for about 15 minutes. :)

Paul

We live about an hour from the Port of Los Angeles and have taken a number of short cruises from there. While we will get off in San Diego or Catalina, on the 3 day run that only goes to Ensenada, you bet we stay onboard.

We've been into town a few times and don't miss a thing by stying on the ship. Actually, it is quite lovely to stay on the ship when most everyone else gets off. So, if it is a port you have visited in the past, stay on the ship and enjoy yourself.

I always try to get off the ship. Even if its to walk around at a place I have been before.

I enjoy the ship, but I get bored just setting a around at the pool. Although, the ideal of taking pictures of the ship while no one is on board does sounds good to me...I'll have to try that next time. :)

For us, not getting off the ship at all would defeat the purpose for cruising. I believe cruising is an entire experience with the ports being part of this. We do, from time to time stay on board if the port is one we have visited before and don't care for: Jamaica, Nassau, GC, and a few others. Staying on, while everyone else is in port is a wonderful and relaxing experience. Just being able to sit by the pool without 100s of people milling around is delightful, but not for an entire vacation. NMnita

DH and I have done 9 cruises (booked our 10th) and have, at least, walked around the pier area at every port, every time. Some ports have no appeal for us but we at least walk around. Often, there will be a small market area where we can pick up bottled water, soda, etc. Even if it's only 15 minutes, we fell it's important to "stretch our legs".

We love the time spent on an almost deserted ship. The quiet and the expanse of open decks is wonderful. We always walk around and explore areas that are often too crowded when we are at sea.

Our opinion is you should do whatever you like. It's your vacation and if you just want to relax on board, that's what you should do.

We never got off on our first [day six] cruise from Vancouver to L.A., with stops at Seattle, and Portland. We just wanted to find out if we liked ship life, and we had visited both cities on numerous occasions. john

Apparently you discovered ship life agreed with you. :D Based on the long list of cruises in your signature.

I always get off the ship but when I go to Nassau (again) in March, I plan to stay on the ship this time. I've been to Nassau several times so there's nothing new I want to see or do. Besides that, the purpose of my cruise in March is to enjoy a little time to myself (going solo) so staying on the ship while in port will give me a little quiet time on deck while the ship is somewhat empty.

My husband and I did a Med. cruise last year. We loved all the ports ,and even though we have been to most several times, there is usually a new road to take or a different trip. We were really looking forward to Egypt with its pyramids, and Libya , as we had never been to either, and they were the reason we booked that sailing. We arrived there two days after the Danish "cartoons" were aired on Italian t.v, and we were on MSC , an Italian cruise ship, Riots every where.. There was no way I was getting off that ship!!

I always get off the ship but when I go to Nassau (again) in March, I plan to stay on the ship this time. I've been to Nassau several times so there's nothing new I want to see or do. Besides that, the purpose of my cruise in March is to enjoy a little time to myself (going solo) so staying on the ship while in port will give me a little quiet time on deck while the ship is somewhat empty.

Going in March you will aprreciate the quiet time as the ship will most likely be filled with kids. March is a very popular cruising time for families. NMnita

Archived