Should RC have coupons for Loyalty??

isujim

Not a new topic by any means. Hopefully a thoughtful discussion can take place.

TA just called and my coupon for next September was denied because I booked in July, not in the specified dates for new bookings.

OK.......I accept that. Rules are rules, fine print is fine print and I knew before submitting it that it would in all likelyhood be denied.

I love RC. A denial of a $150 coupon won't keep me from sailing them.

I booked this cruise in July because RC cancelled the Jewel out of Boston for Canada/New England for 2007, so I booked the Granduer out of Baltimore. By booking in July I got an aft jr. suite, so no complaints.......but as of today the jr. suites are sold out........so even if it was a new booking, you can't get a jr. suite.

This is not about whether they should or should not have honored a coupon............as I said rules are rules and fine print is fine print.

The question is what about us loyal birds who continually book RC, and book early????

I added up what we have spent over 20 years with RC.......(it amazed me what that amount was)..........

I will continue to book them...........I love their product.........

Sometimes I just don't understand my favorite cruise line......:)

They did they same thing to me. I booked a cruise and THEN got the coupon. I booked on Oct. 24th and the coupon was for bookings made between 11/1 and 12/31. So, since there were still rooms in my category at the same price, I was able to cancel and rebook and use the coupon. I wish you could do the same thing. Sorry.

Kind of the same situation here...I booked our April 2007 cruise almost a year in advance, at $1149 per passenger for an E2. In October, a C&A coupon came out for our cruise for $125 off the stateroom, but RCCL wouldn't apply it because I had booked outside of the coupon dates.

E2 staterooms for this cruise are now at $1299 for a guarantee, a total of $300 more, so cancelling and rebooking to get a $125 discount made no sense.

Granted, $300 off the current price is nothing to complain about, but anyone who booked early could have gotten that discount, without being a past customer.

Didn't they just start that with the online coupons? I remember the old paper coupons didn't usually have book between dates. They only had book by dates. Occassionally we still get the paper coupons, maybe every three months, that have the book by date. My cruise had a coupon in the book between set but not the book by set. It wasn't worth it to rebook to use the coupon because the price had gone up.

They give you money off on every sailing for being loyal (assuming you book a balcony or better) and you don't even need a coupon. Probably with all the new Platinum & Diamond members they've made with their liberalized cruise credit policies, they can't afford to be too liberal with their other coupons.

I think what it comes down to is that we have to stop looking at them as discount coupons for loyal customers but as discount coupons for cruises that RCI isn't selling as well as they would like. They do not offer the coupon as a means of saying thank you but as a means of getting people to bite and book the cruise. And if that fails then they just plain lower the price of the cruise to get anyone to bite on it not just C & A members. In effect, they are not really loyalty coupons. They just offer a discount on new bookings to repeat customers and hope that they sell off enough cabins before they have to offer a reduced fare to everyone.

It is of no help to RCI for someone to use a coupon who has already booked the cruise. They need new bookings. Some of us happen to just get lucky and book when a coupon is available. For some it create hard feelings when a coupon becomes available and they are not able to take advantage of it.

This creates a bit of an issue. People like to book early so that they can get their choice of cabin. It is to RCI's advantage for people to book early also. They get a good idea of how well the cruise is selling and they also get to play with the deposit money for a longer period of time. However, if people start holding off on their bookings to see if a coupon becomes available it would not be to RCI's benefit. And they should consider that with the way that they are currently offering the coupons. If people did hold off on booking you can bet that RCI would switch back to the old way of dating coupons real fast.

What continues to amaze me is that Princess, whom I have never sailed with, keeps offering me all kinds of incentives to give them a try. And RCI, whom I have given a fair amount of business to, doesn't seem to care one way or the other if I book my next cruise with them or not.

Just like the coupon books on your bed in the stateroom Diamond Plus is best Gold is OK. The coupons sent (which are no longer coupons but a listing with codes) for Diamond members coming to us. I entered the codes for the sailings listed & got a very insulting email from a Gold member who tried to use it & was told "when you are Diamond" & took it out on me. Maybe it should be a 5" silver lettering saying DIAMOND MEMBERS' COUPONS not diamond member coupons within other typing...

Then I check Happy Hour & Promowave sales that book on Tuesdays. That is where I found my $3500 cruise, air, transfers, port & taxes for 2 TOTAL. And that was no loyalty, it was no selling special, better than the one listed on the web site under HOT DEALS which is $900 for a D1 & I got $600.

To answer your question, yes I do think they should offer discounts to we loyal RC cruisers. In fact all lines should do the same, but unfortunately when they go back and track how many times we have booked with them they probably just figure we will book anyway. I always book a year in advance so that I can choose my cabin which we always book an inside. I just cannot see spending that extra money and not spend much time in cabin except to shower and sleep! :confused: The coupon thing happen with me and when they first told me they would not honor it I just ask to talk to a supervisor and told them I would cancel and rebook and he said that was more trouble for them so he honored the coupon! Sometimes it pays to be a little pushy! :p

You're right in that they should not be considered "Loyalty" coupons. Just like Burger King or the dry cleaners, if you have a coupon that works, great. If not, you can decide whether to take your business elsewhere if not having a coupon makes such a big difference.

As MGoBlue2 said, the Loyalty rewards are the balcony/suite discounts, the onboard coupon books, the special embarkation and disembarkation arrangements, the robes, special receptions, concierge lounge, etc. There are a plenty of nice loyalty rewards given, IMHO. I understand that we all like to have everything possible, but at the same time I'm grateful for what I do get, since I'd be sailing with them regardless.... it's all good as far as I am concerned!

Tell RCCL you do not want the online coupons.

Tell them you want them mailed to you. You will be surprised at the mailed ones. They are different and good for many months, plus already booked cruises. ;)

Nice to know Alexis. I am happy with the balcony and on board credits myself. That is much more than I received with all of my cruises with Carnival over the years. The credits plus the double credits for suites is nice.

Didn't they just start that with the online coupons? I remember the old paper coupons didn't usually have book between dates. They only had book by dates. Occassionally we still get the paper coupons, maybe every three months, that have the book by date. My cruise had a coupon in the book between set but not the book by set. It wasn't worth it to rebook to use the coupon because the price had gone up.
Same thing happened to me twice in the past month. It IS a little frustrating. However, as Royal Caribbean knew, it isn't keeping me from sailing on them. :rolleyes:
Tell RCCL you do not want the online coupons.

Tell them you want them mailed to you. You will be surprised at the mailed ones. They are different and good for many months, plus already booked cruises.

I've tried...........nothing has come yet.
What continues to amaze me is that Princess, whom I have never sailed with, keeps offering me all kinds of incentives to give them a try. And RCI, whom I have given a fair amount of business to, doesn't seem to care one way or the other if I book my next cruise with them or not.
Don't get too excited about Princess' "discounts". They don't let you layer them - for instance, only ONE OBC is allowed.

Nice to know Alexis. I am happy with the balcony and on board credits myself. That is much more than I received with all of my cruises with Carnival over the years. The credits plus the double credits for suites is nice.

I booked my Empress cruise for next year on May 5.

I now get the coupons in the mail again and I just got a $225.00 coupon off the Empress, already booked cruise, in the latest mailing. Called Crown and Anchor, they asked me the code and had the amount taken off within 3 days. It is like having the old coupons back. That along with my Diamond $300.00 discount, (If they ever upgrade me) is fabulous in my book.

I have no complaints about not being able to use the coupons now.

:0

I just recently encountered this problem as well. We booked our November 2007 Serenade cruise back in May as we wanted to ensure we got a Hump Cabin. This past month a coupon is being offered for $140 off the same cruise however it only applies to new bookings :(

Apparently I can cancel and rebook (without losing my deposit) but can't be guaranteed that I will be able to secure the same cabin.

Don't get too excited about Princess' "discounts". They don't let you layer them - for instance, only ONE OBC is allowed.

I didn't know that but so far their incentives haven't been enough to win me over anyway. Unfortunately, I like RCI a little too much. Of course, that also means I could be missing out on something that I might really like.

But I haven't taken enough cruises yet to risk trying an unknown that I might not like when I already have something that I know I like....A LOT. It would be great if a cruise turned out to not be all that one wanted one could just book another next month to make up for it. Well, maybe some people can but I am not one of them! So I am not ready to risk it, yet.

All of you are right.........and again I accept that the coupon is for new bookings. I certainly appreciate all the perks and benefits the cruise line gives me.

Here is a happy follow up however...........

My ta called to appeal their decision. I did not know she did this. After talking to a supervisor with Crown and Anchor.......he agreed with her 100%......in fact he said it is to the company's benefit they loyal customers book early........he said if she would fax him the coupon direct, he would see it was applied to our sailing.......

I didn't ask for this, but my ta just tried to take it one step further. Maybe just a case of talking to the right person at the right time.

It does help to have a good ta...........

All is well that ends well............and I agree that these should not be considered discount coupons.........I was just showing a little frustration since we always book 18 months in advance. In fact we are booked through April of 2008.......so it obviously won't keep me from sailing my favorite line, no matter what the outcome was.

I will also begin getting coupons via the mail............thanks Alexis for that heads up.

All of you are right.........and again I accept that the coupon is for new bookings. I certainly appreciate all the perks and benefits the cruise line gives me.

Here is a happy follow up however...........

My ta called to appeal their decision. I did not know she did this. After talking to a supervisor with Crown and Anchor.......he agreed with her 100%......in fact he said it is to the company's benefit they loyal customers book early........he said if she would fax him the coupon direct, he would see it was applied to our sailing.......

I didn't ask for this, but my ta just tried to take it one step further. Maybe just a case of talking to the right person at the right time.

It does help to have a good ta...........

All is well that ends well............and I agree that these should not be considered discount coupons.........I was just showing a little frustration since we always book 18 months in advance. In fact we are booked through April of 2008.......so it obviously won't keep me from sailing my favorite line, no matter what the outcome was.

I will also begin getting coupons via the mail............thanks Alexis for that heads up.

We only get them mailed about 3-4? times a year like the old ones. But these coupons range from Jan to Dec 2007 and you have until Dec. 31, 2006 to use them. Pre booked or new. ;)

EDIT:There are 30 coupons for many different ships and dates. Some coupons can be used for 3 ships sailing the same itinerary. So, there are many choices/chances to use them.

Just like the coupon books on your bed in the stateroom Diamond Plus is best Gold is OK. The coupons sent (which are no longer coupons but a listing with codes) for Diamond members coming to us. I entered the codes for the sailings listed & got a very insulting email from a Gold member who tried to use it & was told "when you are Diamond" & took it out on me. Maybe it should be a 5" silver lettering saying DIAMOND MEMBERS' COUPONS not diamond member coupons within other typing...

The certificates (formerly coupons) being mailed are labeled "CROWN & ANCHOR SOCIETY MEMBER SAVINGS CERTIFICATES" (same thing is listed on the outside of the envelope)........nothing is said about what level you are in the C&A..........so anyone that belongs to C&A (not just DIAMOND MEMBERS) can use a coupon on the sailings listed as long as they use the coupon before it expires which is usually about 4-6 months. And, the COUPON is located on the very bottom on the back of the letter........your name is printed and so is your C&A number. The codes are for Inside and for Outside & Above cabins. You can email RCI at coupons@rccl.com giving them your name, ship and sailing date, reservation number and the code listed for the itinerary you are sailing to get the discount. Others have done it and have been very successful.

I've tried...........nothing has come yet.

Carol, keep calling them............you will eventually start to get the mailed certificates. It took about 5 weeks to finally get the certificates mailed to my husband with his C&A number since he doesn't access the C&A site like I do.............guess I'm the nosey one in the family :D . They are so much better and much more beneficial than the online coupons.

Hi Patti:)

No I have just been checking them on line. I think what I will do is have Rena keep getting them via email and I will request the ones that are mailed.........I think (though not sure) we can get both of them that way. If my failing memory serves me correct, I think I remember somebody setting it up this way to get both.

The coupon I printed out was from the RC website.

Is it just Crown and Anchor you call to switch to the mailed ones?

Is it just Crown and Anchor you call to switch to the mailed ones?

Yes, Call C&A 1-888 446-7908 and tell them that you want the certificates mailed to you in your C&A number. Have Rena check the C&A Site using her number.....that way you will have both covered. Once you activate the C&A site you are automatically removing yourself from their mailing system. But since you both have numbers, use one for the internet and one for the snail mail!! Read below what I said about what to do if they tell you they don't mail them anymore.

anyone have any coupons for Rhapsody for June 3-10?

I also need to see about getting them mailed to me. Do you have to call or can you do it online?

No coupons for Rhapsody for the sailing you listed. You have to call them and if they tell you that they don't mail them anymore, tell them that you know that they do because you read it on CC. Just do what I told Jim (above) to do.............believe me, it's worth it in a long run.

Archived