Tracy Arm excursion from Juneau

deadzone1003

I've gone with Auk Nu, excellent vender. Is your ship coming from Skagway or from Ketchikan?? If coming from Skagway, no problem with the ship making it to port on time, BUT I doubt you are going to make a 9am boat trip since no guarantee on ship clearance. I suggest you contact the venders directly and inquire if this is something they will recommend for you and schedule.

Is the Tracy Arm Glacier Cruise from Juneau with independent vendors available for the late arriving Pearl? She gets to Juneau at 2PM, but doesn't leave until 10PM.[/QUOT

Nope, unless you are looking for, maybe a private charter? All the independent regular runs leave in the morning. You need 8-10 hours for the trip. I'm on the Pearl too this coming season. Glacier Bay is the highlight with that itinerary.

I have also done Adventure Bound and it was a top notch tour! I would definitely do a small boat trip to Tracy Arm again. One of the best excursions I have taken in Alaska.

My sentiments, exactly! And those of my teenage sons and my husband.

It definitely is worth the effort of speaking to the vendor concerning your arrival time with regard to the tour departure time.

Our next cruise is mainly going to be based on Juneau port time to allow for a repeat of this excursion. We were well pleased with Adventure Bound, but are willing to go with the best fit to our schedule. Other than that, we're just watching for a bargain cruise. We enjoyed the tour enough that Tracy Arm via small boat is our only specific requirement!:)

Thank you for your replies. I just talked to Adventure Bound and Goldbelt Tours. Goldbelt haven't finalized their schedule yet. Adventure Bound said timing was impossible for the Sapphire Princess. Even Adventure Bound didn't recommend that I try Goldbelt Tours as it can take as long as an hour to disembark in Juneau. (Does it?) My best bet is to call them on a cell phone as I'm disembarking and see if they have any room left.:(

Thank you for your replies. I just talked to Adventure Bound and Goldbelt Tours. Goldbelt haven't finalized their schedule yet. Adventure Bound said timing was impossible for the Sapphire Princess. Even Adventure Bound didn't recommend that I try Goldbelt Tours as it can take as long as an hour to disembark in Juneau. (Does it?) My best bet is to call them on a cell phone as I'm disembarking and see if they have any room left.:(

I'm going to be on the Sapphire Princess also (July 23 northbound) and really, really want to do this excursion. I have been in contact with Goldbelt also and will check back with them in the spring. I'm hoping we can work something out.

Yes, it most certainly can take an hour or more for a ship to dock and clear.

As I already mentioned, IF your ship is coming from Skagway, you have a better chance of making and early Juneau arrival and clearance.

Thanks for the info, Budget Queen.

My ship, Sapphire Princess, is northbound, coming from Ketchikan. I guess my cell phone idea might be my best bet.:(

When is your cruise? If you're going before my July 23 north on the Island, I'd be interested in hearing how things turn out for you. We can keep our fingers crossed that the ships leave Ketchikan on time and we can get off in time to make the excursion.

When is your cruise? If you're going before my July 23 north on the Island, I'd be interested in hearing how things turn out for you. We can keep our fingers crossed that the ships leave Ketchikan on time and we can get off in time to make the excursion.

Sapphire Princess leaves Vancouver on July 14th, northbound. It arrives in Juneau at 8am, July 17th from Ketchikan. From what Budget Queen said,

coming from Ketchikan, it sounds like the Sapphire Princess will just make the 8am arrival time. For the ship of our size, it may take over an hour to disembark after the ship is docked. Adventure Bound leaves at 8am for a 9 hour tour. Goldbelt Tours leaves at 9am for a 8 hour tour. (Goldbelt has not finalize their schedule yet, that is their 2006 departure time) There is a third called Allen Marine I just heard about, but it has an exclusive with NCL. There are 2 NCL ships in Juneau that day.

• 2 weeks later...

Dig around for a Private Charter operator as BQ suggested. I know of 2 charters who are actually LOWERING their rates to make a small-boat private charter to Tracy Arm "cost competetive" with the scheduled tours. Also, a private charter will be able to flex departure/arrival times to better accomodate your port times.

A 9am arrival would be no problem for several charter companies here in Juneau. The 2pm arrival can be arranged on a case by case basis depending upon time of year and daylight before sunset...

-Case

Okay, I'm asking for the tour operators you're using. We're on the Noordam July 1, 2007. Thanks so much

http://www.adventureboundalaska.com/

phone Contact: 800-228-3875

http://www.auknutours.com/

phone Contact: 800-820-2628

http://www.harvandmarvs.com/

phone Contact: 866-909-7288

http://www.alaskanmarineadventures.com/

phone Contact: 907-957-1666

These are the main boats that I see in Tracy Arm often during the summer season. There are a variety of other boats, but most are private pleasure boats, or extended (multi-day) chartered cruises.

Of all of these tours, Harv and Marv's usually leaves from Aukey Bay, so you'll have a 20 minute taxi or bus ride each way. The other 3 vendors depart right from downtown next to the cruise docks.

Hope this helps.

-Case

Archived